Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Chevrolet Suburban

This is the new Revell kit- if you're familiar with the '64, '65, and/or '66 C10 pickups, let's just say you'll be in familiar territory. I only encountered two problems with the project, and both were entirely my fault... you'll see the first but not the second. :) The first was, while I found and fixed the mold seams on the body at the cowl, I missed the ones on the rear pillars until after I'd painted the body... I saw the driver's side one as I was applying the dry transfer lettering. I'll know better next time. Maybe. The second was that I misplaced some of the engine parts during detailing. So, I'll be raiding some replacements from a '65 kit I have laying around, or possibly transplant the straight six from an AMT '60 Chevy pickup. 

My only real gripe is that low-hanging spare, but I think if you cut out the crossmember it attaches to and modified things a bit so it would tuck up just a little higher into the chassis, that wouldn't be a problem. And yes, the wheel for the spare is still a five-lug piece. Other than some dechroming, blacking out the whitewall inserts, and adding the dry transfer lettering, it's box stock. A 9-passenger Suburban would have been better suited for a mini school bus, but add a third seat and simulate the "slider" posts on the rearmost quarter windows and it would be a fairly easy conversion. 

19429967_1956723084611747_70450869330746

19437394_1956723451278377_20891946339572

19366255_1956723447945044_47895015691657

This is the new Revell kit- if you're familiar with the '64, '65, and/or '66 C10 pickups, let's just say you'll be in familiar territory. I only encountered two problems with the project, and both were entirely my fault... you'll see the first but not the second. :) The first was, while I found and fixed the mold seams on the body at the cowl, I missed the ones on the rear pillars until after I'd painted the body... I saw the driver's side one as I was applying the dry transfer lettering. I'll know better next time. Maybe. The second was that I misplaced some of the engine parts during detailing. So, I'll be raiding some replacements from a '65 kit I have laying around, or possibly transplant the straight six from an AMT '60 Chevy pickup. 

My only real gripe is that low-hanging spare, but I think if you cut out the crossmember it attaches to and modified things a bit so it would tuck up just a little higher into the chassis, that wouldn't be a problem. And yes, the wheel for the spare is still a five-lug piece. Other than some dechroming, blacking out the whitewall inserts, and adding the dry transfer lettering, it's box stock. A 9-passenger Suburban would have been better suited for a mini school bus, but add a third seat and simulate the "slider" posts on the rearmost quarter windows and it would be a fairly easy conversion. 

19429967_1956723084611747_70450869330746

Looks great Chuck!

Wonder if the US Border Patrol used these back in the day...

Like this? :rolleyes:

29524094866_cb25ba4707_k.jpg1966 Chevrolet C10 by Chuck Most, on Flickr

This reminds me of so many vehicles that I saw growing up in the 'burbs of Chicago. I would visit an uncle who lived in Detroit and it was even worse there. After spending most of my life in different parts of California I can really appreciate just how hard it is to keep a vehicle nice in the "Rust Belt".