Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photobucket

Photo bucket wants me to pay 399.00 a year to post pics here . I removed all my pics from there. I can post from my phone . anyone else ?? 

I've been using P-bucket since 2010. It was free for several years, until I exceeded the free bandwidth allotment...because I was posting a LOT of build threads and getting a LOT of traffic.

I now pay $2.99 per month for far far more bandwidth and storage than I'll ever possibly use.

Where are you seeing the $399 per year?

PS. I just checked into P-bucket and everything appears to be normal.

You can only "post from (your) phone" here until you reach the photo limit, which isn't very large. You WILL need a photo-hosting site to store your photos, if you have a lot of content to display here. This is NOT a photo-hosting site, and they just don't have the server space to store everyone's pix.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've been using Fotki for the past few months ever since Photobucket started giving me major problems.

I posted a few photos over the past few days from PB & I spent the majority of my time there dodging a myriad of pop up adds.

I've really been enjoying the relative peace & quiet using Fotki.

Steve

I use ad blocker on my computer just because of the stupid adds in Pbucket. I should show you how many adds pop up that it blocks! It is an insane amount. However, I can only log into my account and access only my account and use it. If I try to go to someone elses pbucket it locks up with a disable ad blocker to continue. Guess I just don't look at anyones photobucket but mine lol.

I need to just bite the bullet and pay for Flicker for a year that way I don't have to worry about it. I have a ton of pics on pbucket I guess I will have to transfer I guess.

Edited by mr68gts

I have a ton of pics on pbucket I guess I will have to transfer I guess.

If you "transfer" your photos, they will disappear from every forum you have them on, and you'll have to go back and replace them all, one at a time, from the new photo-hosting site's urls...if you care.

I have used Photobucket free account since 2004 and I have not had any problems so far.
I have gone over the allowed bandwidth a couple of times but never anything else.

Test Pic just to see if it works as it should.

66PontiacGTO8.jpg

Edited by Force

I never liked Photbucket and I always have issues viewing other peoples albums there.

Seems to take forever to load.

I have had my pics on Fotki for almost 16 years. There have been a few glitches over the years

but I still like the site. I pay about $36.00 a year. I have 65000 photos at 34 GB right now.

If I were to go anywhere now, I would look into Flickr.

I've been using Fotki for the past few months ever since Photobucket started giving me major problems.

I posted a few photos over the past few days from PB & I spent the majority of my time there dodging a myriad of pop up adds.

I've really been enjoying the relative peace & quiet using Fotki.

Steve

Ditto Steve. My time is more valuable than what I pay Fotki. 

It took so long to post to forums from PB that it became a chore!

I have been on photobucket forever I am just 60% of total storage, but what I just noticed is that they have put a lot of adverts on the main page and that is a real pain in the butt, I am talking like 5 to 6 separate ads on the page. It does say for $2.99 a month it will be add free. Now three dollars a month is nothing but I am a cheap skate, I believe that if it is given for a decade free and you do not exceed bandwith why even pay the three dollars? but the ads make it run really slow,  thou.

I was just notified by PB that to continue to use them for 3rd party hosting I would have to upgrade to their plus 500 membership at $399 a year. I'm only at 10% of use on my free account so I don't think I was using too much bandwidth. I've gone back and checked my posts and it appears all pictures are gone and replaced with PB  3rd Party Hosting has been temporarily disabled. So, I'm not going to pay $400 a year and I guess I have to find another website for my photos.

Edited by THarrison351

I'm still a Fotki fan and have always rather hated PB, even w/adblocker that site is and has been a mess. And tons of photos that lose their links. I never understood the love for PB, except from the aspect of "it's FREE". Now that they want $400 a year to link to 3rd party sites like this, I see it as PB's suicide mission. Which won't affect me, but honestly...it's like they want to fail, and tick off their long-time supporters. Always have a Plan B. 

Edited by Zoom Zoom

I got the same e-mail. they want $399 a year. That's crazy. I wonder if some one copied and pasted our pictures some where else and Photobucket is charging us for a business. I hope I can get my pictures off there and use another site. I can't seem to find a way to contact them. The only customer service link is for something you bought from them.

The real damage here is that the change in their policy is retroactive. That is to say that all my pictures are now gone from all threads that I ever posted images to using Photobucket. This will be true of all Photobucket users. I can see changing their policy on a going forward basis but they have now irrevocably damaged their relationship with all their existing Free Account users. 3rd Party Hosting is ONLY available on their premium service @ $399.00/year.  I'm quite certain as a company they will never recover from this. At the very least they should reestablish existing links. They should also .thing deeply about how much to charge. $399.00 is non-trivial.

The real damage here is that the change in their policy is retroactive. That is to say that all my pictures are now gone from all threads that I ever posted images to using Photobucket. This will be true of all Photobucket users. I can see changing their policy on a going forward basis but they have now irrevocably damaged their relationship with all their existing Free Account users. 3rd Party Hosting is ONLY available on their premium service @ $399.00/year.  I'm quite certain as a company they will never recover from this. At the very least they should reestablish existing links. They should also .thing deeply about how much to charge. $399.00 is non-trivial.

Just happened to me too Bernard.  Looks like I'll be uploading photos to another site and establishing new links.  Bye bye Photobucket!  Let's hope the other hosting sites don't follow suit....

Yeah, I gave up on PB long ago - last time I went there they wanted me to turn off my ad blocker so they could freeze up my computer with ads. Thanks a lot. 35576966055_a653ddea92_o.gif

I changed to Flickr which has had very few issues.

How much is Flickr?

Got that same email a few minutes ago.

richard_dawson.thumb.gif.5568a194c9988f9

Screw those SOBs. They're not getting a freaking dime from me. Fortunately most if not all of my images on this board are on Flickr. I used PB a lot for older posts on other forums, including on the H.A.M.B.; I'll just replace them if someone asks.

If the change in policy is simultaneous across their entire Free user base then I suspect hundreds of thousands of netizens will be simultaneously effected. If they have any hope of surviving Photobucket will likely have to re-establish the old links and re-think their policy. Regardless of whether they do or not the damage across the web is considerable. What are they thinking??????!!!!!!!