Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photobucket

I stand by using Fotki for all my linking/hosting of pics. No drama from them as far as pricing, although they too no longer offer a "free" account as far as linking pics is concerned. For $25 a year, I can live with that though. 

From everything I've read, and some of the klugey workarounds I've seen to be necessary to use Google Photos and some others as hosts for forum photos, I think Fotki is the way to go.

Reviews are mostly all positive, the price is definitely worth it, it's ad-free apparently, and they seem to actually know what they're doing...none of which can be said about PhotoBucket.

I'm sold...and it's cheaper than what I've BEEN paying to the PB SOBs.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Reviews are mostly all positive, the price is definitely worth it, it's ad-free apparently, and they seem to actually know what they're doing...none of which can be said about PhotoBucket.

And as an outsider looking into other people's albums, I've always enjoyed Fotki's scrolling function so much better than anyone else's.

And as an outsider looking into other people's albums, I've always enjoyed Fotki's scrolling function so much better than anyone else's.

True,  when someone posts a link to an album and I see it's Photobucket, I don't view it.  One of my peeves with it is when you are viewing the thumbnails and you click on a photo, when you go back it takes you to the beginning of the album.  Fotki takes you back to where you left off.  Fotki is more user friendly.

And note that this entire situation is not a new thing at all.  We'd be in no better position if PhotoBucket had gone out of business suddenly. That's happened before, probably a few times with photo services.  When I got involved with boards maybe early 2000s there was a photo site of choice that did just that... I forget the name of it. And we were worried Fotki was going out of business when they had hard times.   

When I got involved with boards maybe early 2000s there was a photo site of choice that did just that... I forget the name of it. And we were worried Fotki was going out of business when they had hard times.   

Tom, would that have been DotPhoto? I seem to remember a 'net photo site along the lines of that name back in those days. I remember back in the "Hobby Heaven" days (2002-03) there was a real big stink made about them going under which took a lot of pics along with them. :(

well, if the ads on the PB site hadn't caused adverse behavior on my computer, I wouldn't have installed an ad-blocker on my systems.

if I have to pay a site for hosting functions, it will be Flickr. I used to have a pay account but it got converted to free and I still get 1TB of space which I haven't used much of yet.

I haven't had any problems with them yet.

Tom, would that have been DotPhoto? I seem to remember a 'net photo site along the lines of that name back in those days. I remember back in the "Hobby Heaven" days (2002-03) there was a real big stink made about them going under which took a lot of pics along with them. :(

Think it was called photopoint. Had pictures there, and another smaller site that worked with webtv before it. Gets hard to remember for sure, but pretty sure I had a paid account at photopoint when they went under....

Just upload your photos to this site. I removed the storage quotas. Our hosting company doesn't have them, and we don't need them either. That didn't used to be the case, but we have a much better hosting company now. If you run into problems uploading pictures, please let me know.

I was using the free Tinypic.com for my first several Under Glass threads, those pics still work fine. No account to maintain, it just creates a url address to post the images Then I created a gallery here for other threads where I uploaded pics straight off my desktop, but when that crashed a while back, I ended up rather laboriously re-uploading them after the whole system got fixed. Just drag your pic to the area in the reply box where the paper clip is, and then place your cursor in the text where you want the pic to appear, then click the plus sign icon on the pic itself. Why use any image hosting service at all, especially one that charges money?

Edited by Russell C

I was using the free Tinypic.com for my first several Under Glass threads, those pics still work fine. No account to maintain, it just creates a url address to post the images Then I created a gallery here for other threads where I uploaded pics straight off my desktop, but when that crashed a while back, I ended up rather laboriously re-uploading them after the whole system got fixed. Just drag your pic to the area in the reply box where the paper clip is, and then place your cursor in the text where you want the pic to appear, then click the plus sign icon on the pic itself. Why use any image hosting service at all, especially one that charges money?

Fun fact, Tinypic is owned by Photobucket.

I clicked on their Up-Grade plan ad I get every time I check my PhotoBucket and it is a $39.99 Plan.
Nothing about 3rd Party Hosting..
$40 bucks a yr might not be a bad deal to keep PhotoBucket links.
Or..
If enough people hold out, Maybe their plan Pricing might change?
Is it worth it?

I am thinking about it or posting more stuff on FaceBook..

Till they start charging.. :o

Okay, dug a little bit Deeper..

Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and 3rd Party Hosting*  $399.99 / YR

WTF!???

Hopefully there will be enough people to hold out and the price will drop.
I'd do $9.99  a month.
Drop in the bucket considering all.

Edited by RodneyBad
More info.

Guys before you all bail into Flickr, be aware you can't just post the photos here without the associated BBCode that goes with it that creates the link-back.

Link back to Flickr - Per our Terms of Use, whenever you place an image you're storing on Flickr on an external web site, you must also include a link back to Flickr.

Going forward, please just upload the photos to this site. We have unlimited disk space from our hosting company, and they will never go away unless we do. You can also go back and edit your older posts with new pictures. 

I plan on uploading anything i post here Dave.  

Going forward, please just upload the photos to this site. We have unlimited disk space from our hosting company, and they will never go away unless we do. You can also go back and edit your older posts with new pictures. 

This by far the best solution for a small user like myself and many thanks to Model Cars for making it available. All the photos I've posted here are back at Photobucket but as I write this they are all still visible and I have yet to receive their ransom demand

Guys before you all bail into Flickr, be aware you can't just post the photos here without the associated BBCode that goes with it that creates the link-back.

Link back to Flickr - Per our Terms of Use, whenever you place an image you're storing on Flickr on an external web site, you must also include a link back to Flickr.

I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Very cool.  Thank you.  Is there an easy way to fix the PB pics that are gone from posts?

I have absolutely no idea what that means.

That means when you go to share a photo from Flickr to here you click the little "Share" Arrow and select BBCode, and then copy and paste into the forum's text window

16907198981_fab4588bbd_b.jpgDSC02009 by James Duff, on Flickr

The "Link Back" is that part at the end that has the photo's title (in this case it's still the raw camera file) and a link to my Flickr page.  If you post to this forum (or anywhere else for that matter) without that link back part at the end you are in violation of the ToS relating to 3rd Party hotlinking.

Edited by niteowl7710

Very cool.  Thank you.  Is there an easy way to fix the PB pics that are gone from posts?

Downloading the photos to your own hard-drive from Photobucket, while possible, is very time consuming and frustrating. It's FAR easier to simply go to your own image storage files (assuming you have the originals or backups) and find the photo you want to post here, delete the "account suspended" icon, and in its place, upload your own image directly to this site.

Not quick, but about the "easiest" way to do it, if your photos are gone from your posts...unless anyone has a better idea.

Here's one session of photobucket this morning. I understand needing money and all but someone screwed the pooch and over did the ads. There is no reason for THAT many ads and that's just to get into my library. If they had gone about it a better way I would have gladly paid for their service but like I said before, they've gone down hill and have been for a long time. I only started using ad blocker a couple weeks ago and that is just to get into my Photobucket as all the ads render it useless otherwise and I just want to get into it. I've downloaded one album that I was having problems with in Win 7 onto the laptop which has  Win 10 on it.  All of them opened up just fine with no squish so I will download the rest of them onto the laptop and them upload them to Fotki. Just payed for my 100 gig plan the other night so I'll be good for a year at 24.00.

Pbucket ads.png

I saw this posted on another model car board (Scale Racing Lobby) whose entire graphics have been decimated by the P-Bucket screw-job. Expect to see this response from other services, but I have to say that this is pretty explicit and shows that at Fotki at least, they're up front about soliciting your trust. I originally gave P-bucket 48 hours to back out of their folly. They are is long past and P-bucket is now doomed. It's only a matter of time. But then again, all my P-bucket links are doomed as well now, so that's cold comfort.

fotki-vi.jpg

I would shed a tear for Photo Bucket.......if I felt sorry for them!

They brought this on themselves & it's obvious now to all that they are circling the drain.

Every photo that I have on Photo Bucket, I still have on my hard drive & a good number of them I have stored with Fotki, so if they think they're holding me hostage, they've got another thing coming!

Adios Photo Bucket, & good riddance!!

Steve

After all the discussions here I'm putting all my photos on Fotki as the the best option .. better than my PB account. I've had a free Fotki account for 10 years and now it costs $24 a year, so better than $400 by a long shot. I really liked their message for all "victimized Photobucket users". :) 

Of course, I have ALL my photos here on disk(s) so nothing was lost. I'll eventually get my threads updated, but only as I have new ones to add to a build thread. I'm happier with how it all works there.

This is what I'll be doing from now on, thanks Dave.. It really is a crying shame. I've been downloading my photos directly from PB for so long, I never thought to keep them on my hard drive. I've basically lost every photo of every model unless I go and do a save image on every pic.