Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photobucket

Copied from another forum.... but seems true... and scary.... i hope this is not the case.

"oh i've known about it for years. there is unseen consequences yet to come

but people will figure out how big a nuke was dropped on the internet soon. ...

we have all seen the massive drop in user content over the last few years on all forums, now it will accelerate.

----

..at this point I'm not moving on with any free hosting sites because they will all eventually turn into photobucket just like anglefire, geocities...

and so expect to see these forums all over turn into ghost towns the next week or 2 and then poof."

I have always contended that high technology so-called is in fact crude, complex, unwieldy and expensive. It has been facilitated by an ever-declining interest rate trend which has cheapened capital and facilitated promises made to consumers that these companies eventually cannot keep. Technology is "front loaded" with huge capital costs just to get in and play. Then, as it turns out, many of the underlying structures are complicated and unreliable and require enormous staffs of skilled coders just to keep things from blowing up. So even from an operational point of view, many of these companies are inefficient and expensive to run. Because of access to cheap capital there aren't currently even any barriers to entry in terms of infrastructure. So vicious "me-too" competition drives these "network effect" models where the whole goal is to promise users the moon in the hopes of getting enough of them to use your service to justify the huge capital and operational costs. What we may be seeing here is the "network effect" in reverse....

This is just ridiculous, in my opinion Photobucket has just run themselves out of business and is nothing now but a flaming plane crash on a mountainside, and they flew the plane into the mountain! 

I've used Photobucket for many years, ever since I had become active on this and other modeling forums around the interwebs, but between slow uploading to post pics and the bombardment of ads even my ad blocker would not block (and that is the only site I do see ads) and now this, I'm finished with Photobucket!  

If any photo hosting site gets money from me just to post pics to forums, it will be Fotki for the free trial account I opened a little over a month ago after getting fed up with one of Photobucket's ad bombardments that took up so much screen space that I couldn't see anything but ads! Fotki's cheapest plan, which offers 100GB of storage like Photobucket's $100 plan that still will not allow photo posting, is less than $20 a year. Fotki's plan is 1/5th the price, equal storage, and DOES ALLOW PHOTO POSTING TO FORUMS!!! Even Fotki's most expensive personal plan is $6.17 a month, or about $75 a year and offers 1TB of storage, which is between 1/5th and 1/6th the price the idiots at Photobucket want for HALF THE STORAGE! 

Since I went to digital and figured I would need a hosting site several years ago, I went with the TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) theory. Didn't want a supposedly free site that would saturate everybody with ads and if things didn't work out would go away. After looking around and asking a few people their opinions I went with SmugMug. I think I'm paying about 40 bucks a year (may have went up a bit) recently. Been happy with them and like the way the photos load. They've always been a pay site, so weren't trying to do the big promos, lots of ads thing. Depended on customer income. Other good choices seem to be Fokti and Flickr. Just seems to be which suits your style in loading, displaying, posting and file structures.

I'm getting overwhelmed.  I've used only Photobucket since joining & posting on the MCM forum.  This morning I signed up for a Flickr account.  Can anyone please tell me how to past pics from Flickr to here?

Which is better?  Flickr or Fotki?  Which is easier to use?

I'm getting overwhelmed.  I've used only Photobucket since joining & posting on the MCM forum.  This morning I signed up for a Flickr account.  Can anyone please tell me how to past pics from Flickr to here?

Which is better?  Flickr or Fotki?  Which is easier to use?

Jim,

You can download your albums from Photobucket.  After downloading, you can upload your albums to the hosting site of your choice. I already cancelled my Photobucket account, otherwise I would take a screen shot for you.

I would say it's a personal preference for the site you wish to use. I signed up with Fotki. I have 100 GB of storage for $24 a year. I'm done with free hosting sites.

I have had nothing but problems with Photobucket for years now. I hate them. But I have way too many photos there to transfer everything. Besides, the site responds so sllooowww, it would take forever.

Edited by Jon Cole

Jim,

You can download your albums from Photobucket.  After downloading, you can upload your albums to the hosting site of your choice. I already cancelled my Photobucket account, otherwise I would take a screen shot for you.

I would say it's a personal preference for the site you wish to use. I signed up with Fotki. I have 100 GB of storage for $24 a year. I'm done with free hosting sites.

What's the downloading process? Can I download my PB files to desktop folders?

I don't have to download my pics from there

I have them on a Thumb-Drive

All I have to do is set up folders like I have there, and fill them

then just close out the photosucking account.

I never understood the moving of pics to a server like that and Dumping them from your own storage close at hand!!

How do you replace lost pics without having the original??????

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I don't have to download my pics from there

I have them on a Thumb-Drive

All I have to do is set up folders like I have there, and fill them

then just close out the photosucking account.

I never understood the moving of pics to a server like that and Dumping them from your own storage close at hand!!

How do you replace lost pics without having the original??????

I'm the same way in that all my pictures are on my hard drive, and I only used the site to host pictures to post online. However, there are always situations that may arrise where people need to host pictures that they don't have easy access to elsewhere. In any case, the pricing structure (along with what is allowed at each "level") is ludicrous. Coupled with their increasing reliance on crappy ads, I see no need to stay. 

Well that's it.
I got an email about this this morning and all I can say is it will never happen as long as I live...400 bucks a year to be able to link some lousy pictures to this and some other forums...no way.
I'm going to look for another photohost to do my linking.
I have had a free account with PB since May 2004 and have not had any problems what so ever, but I will not pay this outrageous price just for some "hotlinking"...I have all my photos on my hard drives so I don't need PB or any other host for storage...the only thing I use them for is to link photos to forums now and then.
I just emailed them and made my point clear and told them I would cancel my account if they still want that price...400 bucks to be able to link maybe 20 photos a year, that's 20 bucks a photo.

Edited by Force

Well that's it.
I got an email about this this morning and all I can say is it will never happen as long as I live...400 bucks a year to be able to link some lousy pictures to this and some other forums...no way.

I checked my spam folder and I received the email 2days ago so no more Photobucket for me,I can't pay 400 dollars.