Model Cars Magazine Forum

how to paint die cast?

cars1206

Hi Everyone.    I bought my first diecast yesterday and I want to paint it a different color. Can the paint be stripped with Purple Power degreaser or pine sol?  Will Plasti coat primer work?  Then repaint as usual?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Since it's metal, you can use any real paint stripper (as long as all the plastic bits are removed first), and be sure to remove every trace of stripper.

Any automotive-grade primers will work fine too. I prefer a self-etching primer directly over the bare metal, and then a sandable or high-build automotive primer for getting the body straight.

Paint as you usually do. 

Again, even "hot" real-car paint is fine on diecast.

I have restored many old Hubley and Gabriel "metal kits", I just put the metal parts into a coffee can or glass jar, any container that is big enough will work as long as it's not plastic, with a full strength paint stripper. After that it is pretty much like a plastic kit, with the priming, painting, etc. The advantage of working with die-cast is that you can use any primer or paint you like, and stripping it goes much faster because you can use a wire brush or scraper with out damaging it.

Others have recommended using a "real" paint stripper (which is correct) but nobody warned you about *NOT* using the purple stuff. The purple degreaser contains Lye which is caustic and will react with the metal.  Don't use it on any metal parts! Especially aluminum (which is usually used in the alloy used for die-cast models)..

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm glad you told me about the reaction to Purple Power!!!  Its what I have on hand and had every intention to use.   Strange question.  Can I buy paint stripper at Oreilys or Pep Boys?  Or do I need to find an auto paint supply store?   Thanks again.

You can get it at any of those places, or at a hardware store. Like Peter said, I did not think to warn you about the "purple stuff"! It will disolve metal, there was a thread here very recently about that exact topic!

Hi Everyone.    I bought my first diecast yesterday and I want to paint it a different color. Can the paint be stripped with Purple Power degreaser or pine sol?  Will Plasti coat primer work?  Then repaint as usual?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

First of all, DO NOT USE Purple Power or any other mass-marketed cleaner for paint removal off of diecast--all of those contain Lye, (Sodium Hydroxide--which is lethal to Zamak, the alloy used in virtually all diecast models!)

But, do not fear, the paint can be removed, without fear of damage to the metal underneath.  Go to any paint store, paint department, even many auto supply stores--look for paint strippers labeled as "aircraft"--those are for non-ferrous metals ("ferrous" meaning iron or steel).   "Aircraft" paint stripper (and the stuff is widely available) will remove the paint from a diecast model in mere minutes--but be SURE to use proper personal protective gear--in this case, Nitrile gloves (available at most any Walgreen's or CVS stores) to prevent painful skin damage to your hands, and proper eye protection is also very advisable!

Then, once all that factory paint is sripped, WASH the body and associated diecast parts thoroughly with detergent and water, then dry completely.  For best adhesion of the new paint job, use "self-etching" primer, which will ensure a very strong bond for the final paint finish--select and spray the paint and color you want!  (I've done this numerous times over the years, works very well!

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm glad you told me about the reaction to Purple Power!!!  Its what I have on hand and had every intention to use.   Strange question.  Can I buy paint stripper at Oreilys or Pep Boys?  Or do I need to find an auto paint supply store?   Thanks again.

Probably you can get aircraft-grade paint stripper at those stores, if not, Walmart does stock the stuff in their paint department, when last I needed to get some.

Art

Greetings,

Although perhaps not an option for everyone given the service may not be availed everywhere, I've taken my own die cast body shells to area plastic media blasters to be afforded a service akin to sandblasting.  Occasionally they can be slightly overzealous and some material loss is noted, but in the main the process is mess and chemical-free and hence something to consider.  Kind regards...

Mike K.