Model Cars Magazine Forum

Christine trashed , FINISHED ! !

Lowlife ! !

Thanks Bill, I admire your work a lot, shame I can't get one of your engines for this build !  

Keep an eye on the WIP threads and posts made My66S55 (Doug Craig). He's the one that'll be offering the 3D printed 318 Poly Head engines, particularly after a few more kinks are worked out. 

I've got just a little bit to go yet on getting some things done on my copy, and hopefully by the weekend she'll be all detailed and done. ;)

At least that's my hope as I'm off till the 10th! :D 

Edited by MrObsessive

I could put you in touch with Art who built all the cars for the movie if you want.  He might have pictures from the builds - not sure but doesn't hurt to ask.

Pm me if you want to talk with him.

Great build and really like what you're doing!

Bill

Wow thanks Billy, cant think of anything I need to ask, but I would love to see some pictures if he has any ? 

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thanks for the comments guys !

Well interior is done for now, will be adding ripped headlining but its about finished....B)

All my pics are with taken with my phone, and the colours look different every shot ??

I imagine when Christine had all the windows smashed, from the outside, it would leave a lot of glass !  Hope this captures it, let me know !! And yes the glass is glued down, it doesn't all fall out if I lift the model up ! !   :P

20170705_111227_zpsmdjydzoo.jpg

20170705_111203_zpsxughmrux.jpg

20170705_111035_zpsihnmtagk.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thanks !

Thought someone would guess, the glass is crushed sugar !  

Glued with white glue, left until just sticky, otherwise the sugar dissolves ! !

Sugar is a good idea and looks very real!!!!!! Great job so far!!!!

Thanks for replies guys !

Made a start on the kit engine, which is totally wrong !  If you've seen Mr Obsessives 58 Plymouth engine build you'll see how wrong the standard kits is. But anyway it is what it is, so I'm just using what's there, with a couple of minor changes. I found an inlet manifold and twin carbs I can use, the distributor is still at the wrong end ( should be at the back! ) but at least its a bit more like Christine's. The engine been smashed about with sledge hammers, and I'm slowly adding more bits to it to make it look half decent (hopefully !)  I did chrome the valve covers, as Arnie`s were, but I'm probably leaving the air cleaners off as I cant find anything suitable to use. Here's what I've got so far........ Oh and in the pics the valve covers don't look chrome, but they are !  Its just bad reflections I think....:blink: 

20170709_211333_zps7fzdnlbi.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

The engine actually is correct for the car. The new 350 cubic inch Golden Commando was introduced in 1958, and was the top engine option in all Plymouths that year. This was the first incarnation of the B series engine, so they had the familiar shaped 383-440 valve covers, and the front mounted angled distributor. The poly series Dual Fury engine was standard on the '58 Fury.

19003920305_16803c9747_b.jpg

Ah thanks for that Mike ! 

I was confused as a picture I found of Christine's smashed engine had the distributor at the front !  Oh well I'm going to change it around a bit now I think,  so thanks for the heads up !  Think I might have mushed the valve covers too much too, so I'll redo those  !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

The engine actually is correct for the car. The new 350 cubic inch Golden Commando was introduced in 1958, and was the top engine option in all Plymouths that year. This was the first incarnation of the B series engine, so they had the familiar shaped 383-440 valve covers, and the front mounted angled distributor. The poly series Dual Fury engine was standard on the '58 Fury.

19003920305_16803c9747_b.jpg

Gotta disagree with you there Mike. I don't want hijack this thread, but the engine in the '58 Plymouth kit is not correct at all as far as the heads are concerned. It's almost a mix of a Poly-Head and the 350 Commando. The kit's distributor is in the rear of the intake manifold (correct for a Poly), but as Martin said Christine's distributor was in the front----correct for a 350 as you have pictured above. The valve covers in the kit are definitely for a 350 Commando.

Also, Christine had a dual quad intake.......every 350 I've seen had this setup (350's were optional for '58 Furys), but I'm no Mopar expert so there might have been some single quads made. As Martin's doing, he's reversing the intake manifold to put the distributor in the front, and adding the extra carb which the kit lacks.

Just a little tip Martin------since you're going to use the kit pretty much as is with the intake reversed, I'd offset the distributor to the left (passenger side) just a bit. It's up to you as it's your build though. ;)

Bill,

I have this kit, but admittedly I didn't look at the engine very closely. You're right, it's kind of a mish-mosh between Poly (A series) and B series, but slanting closer to the B. Why they didn't include the iconic 2nd carb is beyond me, probably the same reason they curved the side trim. The post was mainly to point out that the top engine option in '58 was the new B series, though the Poly soldiered on until 1967, IIRC.

Thanks guys, and no problem with the hi-jackin !  If anyone else is building a 58 Plymouth its useful to know !

So basically the kits engine IS a 350 commando, but has the wrong heads, manifold, carbs and air cleaners . 

Also Christine's engine has chrome plated valve covers and air cleaners. 

Thanks Drake, might have to get one of these for the clean version I will be building of Christine !

But for this I'm using the kit version, with a manifold and twin carbs from the spares box. 

Chassis is built, but I have to find some steel wheels as the hubcaps are missing after she's attacked ! Also I'm not happy with the kits tyres and skinny whitewalls, so I'm looking to replace these too. Engines almost done, needs wiring etc but I can fit it to the chassis, then complete it ! And I've been playing around with mock ups and realised Christine is quite low when smashed up. I will be adding 4 flat tyres, but might lower the suspension a little too !?

A couple of pics, and more soon........:)

20170715_183042_zps4upy0md9.jpg

20170715_183321_zpsx7jul3yt.jpg

Edward, Dan, thanks guys, and as I said Mark I'm not going THAT detailed on the dashboard ! !   :P

When looking up pics/videos etc to research what the car looked like smashed, I found some extended footage of Reppertons gang doing there thing ! It showed Moochie, filmed from the back seat, defecating on the dash and another gang member Richard Cherlanie (I think that's how its spelt ! ) having a wee in the petrol filler ! !   

And thanks for the offer Steve but I've sorted out the rolling stock !  I thought the steel wheels would be red, but it clearly shows them a steel colour, so I did them like this !  Oh and I'm slowly starting body mods, notice the front wing trim ?     More soon ....  ! 

20170716_211145_zpsckga56fq.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Still moving along, the chassis, wheels, interior bucket and engine are together, and made a start on the engine detailing, but still waiting for an aftermarket pre wired distributor.  

Soon be time for the body which I'm looking forward to !

20170721_130454_zpscuwtuabm.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !