Model Cars Magazine Forum

10 years ago I built this truck,

100_0299-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

However, the tractor has ended up in  a very sad state. I am rebuilding the tractor and using the trailers for a different truck. Using the 1969 Autocar hood conversion from AITM, I will be converting this into an A64FT. 

Starting with the frame, I made some modifications. Front springs from a White Road Boss were used. The notched area at the front end of the rails was reshaped. The steering brackets molded to the frame have been cut off and are being repositioned.

I used the Road Boss radiator with the Autocar kit fan shroud added.

100_4082-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The bumper comes with the hood. It's just laying in place for the photo.

100_4089-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here is the hood mocked up with a fresh kit cab.

100_4086-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The very heavy duty Rockwell suspension from the Autocar Dump Truck kit has been replaced. A used GMC Astro rear suspension sits in its place since this will be an on-highway truck.

100_4083-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here is the hood and cab in their first coats of primer with my own modifications to the hood shown.

100_4309-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I shaved off the molded headlights and will be adding a set from the spares box.

100_4313-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

STS used to sell these metal wheels. The one on the left is sanded and polished.I'm using these with the Autocar kit drive wheels. 

100_4219-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The overall plan for this one is that it will be a tractor with an NTA 370 Cummins engine, 5x4 main/auxiliary transmission setup and a Mercury sleeper. The paint job and the trailer are the only remaining debates going on right now, but I do have some ideas. I just have to pick one.

Edited by SpreadAxle

• 2 weeks later...

Axle-forward Autocars like this one had a narrow 18" battery box with a step. I narrowed the AutoCar kit battery box. The step is made using a step from a Revell AG Pete 359 and some plastic angle and other scrap plastic. I made a mold of my new battery box and cast some copies. The master is on the left.  

100_4322-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• 3 months later...

I've been pretty busy but there has been some progress on this one.

I made some modifications to the frame. A new rear cross member was fabricated. 

2v2u4bYgrxAhSgT.jpgHosted on Fotki.com

The Cummins NTA-370 and the transmission from a Road boss kit.

2v2uVeaggxAhSgT.jpgHosted on Fotki.com

On the 1:1, some versions had the air cleaner tube coming through the side of the hood while others have the air intake set up the same way as the Autocar kits. For the turbo charged Cummins, I have seen this version of the hood used, so I modified the hood and used the cowl plate from the Road Boss.

2v2uVa8ujxAhSgT.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking and I will update again soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

We all have that project that every time you take a step forward, you have to take 2 or 3 steps backwards. For me, this is that project. My main problem is trying to hinge the hood. There are some other fit and body work issues I'm having, but this is what has stalled me the most(aside from work).

I did take a few pix so I could share some progress.

RearwheelsA64F-vi.jpg

I have to repair a few things before I go further. I just hope I can leave the engine alone.

moreworktodo-vi.jpg

Interior shot. Color is Tamiya XF-8.

interiorA64F-vi.jpg

31 minutes ago, SpreadAxle said:

We all have that project that every time you take a step forward, you have to take 2 or 3 steps backwards. For me, this is that project. My main problem is trying to hinge the hood. There are some other fit and body work issues I'm having, but this is what has stalled me the most(aside from work).

I often use doll house door hinges split in half so the hood can open 90 degrees and there's a closer fit to the bumper. I attach them with super glue and reinforce them with epoxy.

This how it looks from the front. They are actually mounted to the bumper.

33116701931_ce164178fd_k.jpg100_2247 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

And the hood can open 90 degrees.

33203404726_20b648b278_k.jpg100_2245 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

You can see them a bit better on this one:

33245243415_b556ef495b_k.jpgWhite 9000  6-71 Detroit by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Your BRANCH truck shows that this the way to go with this. That swings the hood out nicely. Can you point me to who makes those hinges you used?

Thanks for showing it. I love the engine details on both trucks.I think I will just cut the loops off of the front springs and go for it. I was trying to complicate it too much. If nothing else, I do have various sizes of brass tube that I could probably attach the same way you did the hinges.

Thank you again, you just made my day. Now I can progress quite a bit with that solved. Well, then again, progress on this thing has been like having my truck stuck in the snow... I have to rock it back before I go forth.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, SpreadAxle said:

Your BRANCH truck shows that this the way to go with this. That swings the hood out nicely. Can you point me to who makes those hinges you used?

Thanks for showing it. I love the engine details on both trucks.I think I will just cut the loops off of the front springs and go for it. I was trying to complicate it too much. If nothing else, I do have various sizes of brass tube that I could probably attach the same way you did the hinges.

Thank you again, you just made my day. Now I can progress quite a bit with that solved. Well, then again, progress on this thing has been like having my truck stuck in the snow... I have to rock it back before I go forth.:rolleyes:

The hinges are by Mayberry Street Miniatures. I picked them up at Hobby Lobby. I take one and cut it down the middle to make two. I have also made hinges out of brass tube as well. That is what I used to swing the fenders on my Highbinder. I hope this helps.