Model Cars Magazine Forum

CARS animated movies

tmathew1us

Being a car guy, but not much of a movie guy, I was dragged by my young sons to see Cars 3 at the theater. We own the first 2 movies on blu ray, and have spent probably several hundred dollars on Cars-related merchandise.

Being a Pixar film, I find this series lackluster compared to their other offerings.

Does anyone else find these movies slightly bland, and full of unrealized potential for so much more car-related stuff?? Whenever I watch them, I always think about all the lost potential for acknowledging the history of cars, the race cars, drivers, inventors, as well as so much lost opportunity for inside jokes or easter eggs for older car lovers to look for in the films.

Thoughts?

I thought the first one was really good. The boy must have watched that DVD thousands of times. And we were sucked in with the merchandising. Had all the diecast cars, the racetracks, bedsheets, books, desklamp, etc. It's all boxed and put into storage now except for his stuffed Lightning McQueen. That's like the one thing that wasn't boxed up and put in the closet, and he still takes that whenever we travel; leans on it in the truck, and keeps it in hotel rooms with him.

None of us were impressed with the second movie. We may watch the thrid one when it comes out for free on the movie channels.

I went to see Cars #1 since I was curious. Cars #2 was alright but once is enough on that. I think they made a move called Ratatoy or something like that. I was about a mouse that goes to Paris and becomes a Chef. A lot of laughs in that one and the animation is even better than Cars.     

I thought the first one was really good. The boy must have watched that DVD thousands of times. And we were sucked in with the merchandising. Had all the diecast cars, the racetracks, bedsheets, books, desklamp, etc. It's all boxed and put into storage now except for his stuffed Lightning McQueen. That's like the one thing that wasn't boxed up and put in the closet, and he still takes that whenever we travel; leans on it in the truck, and keeps it in hotel rooms with him.

None of us were impressed with the second movie. We may watch the thrid one when it comes out for free on the movie channels.

I agree with the first one being the best, and I think the 3rd is the worst. We definitely got our money's worth from the DVDs, as each of my boys watched them over and over.

I just would have done the movies a bit different. They're not terrible, but there are funnier animated movies out there. I guess I'll just stick to documentaries and surfing the net to get my car fixes.