Model Cars Magazine Forum

Haven't seen anything new in this series

Sorry all. I was thinking Special Edition in general and not Corvettes exclusively.  If it were just Corvettes then the '58 and or '59 reissues would make sense. I think that they would need a new tool for any of the other C1 Corvettes. For C2's my personal favorite is the '67 Big Block, but any of them would work for me.   

It's not a series, and there's nothing "Special" about the kits.  It's just a marketing classification when they're selling to big box retailers like Hobby Lobby.  They can check a box for "Special Edition Assortment" and get a mixed case of several different kits.  If you look at the shelving labels there are "Trucks Assort, Street Burners Assort, Motorsports Assort, California Wheels Assort", etc.

Edited by niteowl7710

I think a '56-'57 would make sense. 

It's visually different enough from the  '62 to make it appealing to fans of the earlier cars (like me), and it's on the same underpinnings as the '62. Many of the dimensions are identical to the '62, so intelligent use of existing CAD work could streamline the new body tool design

Then, if the CAD files were intelligently managed, it would be relatively straightforward to do a '58-'59-'60 body using the '62 nose and the '56-'57 tail (IF the company wanted to update the existing bodies, which are really quite good).

It's visually different enough from the  '62 to make it appealing to fans of the earlier cars (like me), and it's on the same underpinnings as the '62. Many of the dimensions are identical to the '62, so intelligent use of existing CAD work could streamline the new body tool design

Then, if the CAD files were intelligently managed, it would be relatively straightforward to do a '58-'59-'60 body using the '62 nose and the '56-'57 tail (IF the company wanted to update the existing bodies, which are really quite good).

The '58, '59 & '62 are all based on the same new tooling from 1998.  The '60 is one of those ancient Revell kits.

A '61 would be the logical next step, but they'll probably wait awhile even if it is part of the plan...

now this might interest me. (  I have no real interest in the 62 )  

Especially  i they do an aaccurate Big John Mazmanain car 

Sorry all. I was thinking Special Edition in general and not Corvettes exclusively.  If it were just Corvettes then the '58 and or '59 reissues would make sense. I think that they would need a new tool for any of the other C1 Corvettes. For C2's my personal favorite is the '67 Big Block, but any of them would work for me.   

Actually, Revell-Monogram has a very good C1 Corvette--it's 1/24 scale, derived from the one-shot only metal-bodied kit from 1978, but with the body shell shot in styrene.

Art

Uh, Monogram did produce a '57 Corvette, but in their 1/24 scale days--it's actually a very good kit--I built one, did it in real DuPont Sierra Gold (paint mixed to factory spec about 1959 or so--still have the quart can, still quite liquid!).

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-41037708895877/monogram-1957-corvette-convertible-stock-6.jpg

Art

Uh, Monogram did produce a '57 Corvette, but in their 1/24 scale days--it's actually a very good kit.

Yes, I have a couple myself and agree it's a decent kit.

The question though, to MY understanding, is which subject would make sense in this "series".

As the '56-'57 is pretty much the same car mechanically, and this "series" is 1/25, a single-headlight car would make mucho sense to me.

To hone your modeling skills with a multi piece body.:lol:

download_zpsefov48jz.jpg

f0f521ca4389e1f55f2cf06f2037976b_zpsn6g3

I've never understood WHY this kit is so universally reviled. It's really pretty well proportioned, and it's not hard to build if you're a reasonably skilled and patient adult.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Built one myself

Never had a problem with their Multi-Piece bodies

Have 3-4 of the 59 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner

Built the first in 74-75 when first re-issued!!

Restoring that one

Started a Skip's issue, but sold it last year

Need to start another like that

Opening doors, Steering, Continental kit, FULL Deluxe treatment!!!

Just Finding a Color CLOSE to the Sunset Coral Ford painted them in 59!!

(Close to the color Rev molded the 2 runs of the Skip's kit in!!)

Want the US SSP issue molded in White

I have the Rev-Gremany 50th Anniversary kit molded in Green

They marked the box Correctly as a Fairlane 500

But Rev-US still calls it a Galaxie

Look Closely FAIRLANE 500 Script on BOTH Rear fenders!!!!

AMT Annual was a Galaxie!!

I would happily have a few more of the Rev 59/60 Vette kit!!!!

Built one myself

Never had a problem with their Multi-Piece bodies

Have 3-4 of the 59 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner

Built the first in 74-75 when first re-issued!!

Restoring that one

Started a Skip's issue, but sold it last year

Need to start another like that

Opening doors, Steering, Continental kit, FULL Deluxe treatment!!!

Just Finding a Color CLOSE to the Sunset Coral Ford painted them in 59!!

(Close to the color Rev molded the 2 runs of the Skip's kit in!!)

Want the US SSP issue molded in White

I have the Rev-Gremany 50th Anniversary kit molded in Green

They marked the box Correctly as a Fairlane 500

But Rev-US still calls it a Galaxie

Look Closely FAIRLANE 500 Script on BOTH Rear fenders!!!!

AMT Annual was a Galaxie!!

I would happily have a few more of the Rev 59/60 Vette kit!!!!

I'm not sure this would work, but Krylon has an indoor/outdoor paint called Corel Isle. It is close to the popular '55 Chevy color.