Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Maverick GT 1974

Lovefordgalaxie

Beautiful build. I don't remember the exact time frame, but Ford did offer a limited number of Mavericks in the states with a 289 V-8 toward the end of production here. Always enjoy seeing what was going on in other parts of the world. 

Mavericks never came from a stateside factory with a 289. Last year of production for the 289 was 1968. Mavericks came out in late 69 as a 1970 model. They did get the 302 in 1971. 

Edited by Dave Darby

• 5 years later...

I have this version coming and it will get fully detailed plus a wheel & tire change. I wanted it to go with my Nova & Duster models as far as compacts.

s-l1600.png

Edited by Geno

Wow! That's awesome. This really brings back memories. In August of 1982, my then-girlfriend and I drove an orange 1974 Maverick (her car) as we moved from Boston to Seattle hauling everything we owned in a U-Haul trailer. Being a New England car, you can imagine the car was a rust bucket, but still operationally sound. We were so worried that the car wouldn't make it, that we stopped about every two hours or so and popped the hood to let the engine cool off. We literally drove 50 MPH (remember, the national speed limit then was 55 MPH) the whole way. The car had no A/C (common for cars in the northeast in those days). We had the wing windows cranked for a bit of a breeze! It took us a week, stopping with friends in Minneapolis for a day rest. At one point it was so hot, in North Dakota, we crashed at a dumpy motel during the day and drove at night. We made it, though! 

Thanks for posting! -RRR