Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Comp Dragster...Completed!!!!!

Been a long time since I posted anything completed or in-progress. 4 1/2 years on the road driving a truck puts a serious damper on your ability to work on model projects. Now, I am back home for good and can get back to some serious projects and play catch up with some old ones.

This is a new project. Its a 1/25 scale Super Comp Dragster. Been wanting to get more into the sportsman ranks for building and this one seemed like the perfect starting point. 

I started by shortening a modern top fuel body from a Revell kit and getting it more to the S/C length. Still working out the plans for engine combination and other details but I've been able to get the basic look started. 

I made some graphics on my PC and layed them out onto decal film. Started adding the graphics to see how it could/would look. Pretty happy so far but it's still in the early stages of the build. 

The engine is something that I pulled out of the parts box so I could see where the scoop would land. It's not what will be showing up eventually.

8QqF8qE0Hzdhy3WrjLG5wRNl5DVcrk-vi.jpg

cYlK4HQU5rj-vi.jpg

SyLv9TTXsLzsJuAJatMDCb4HIStWib-vi.jpg

CHWs9GZtSSSjudzCNGBf6A5CA9SsOn-vi.jpg

tVzuajzzOOsK5YYjKPAXPwoFTMWU2U-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

what software did you use to make the graphics?  those look great bty!!

I'd love to give you a pretty technical response but it's just not that complex. I have not invested in any expensive program. My technique for creating these homemade graphics is pretty basic, and limited. I find the type of graphics that I'm looking for online, transfer them to a word document where I can make adjustments to the size of the image, and then print them out onto decal film, either clear backed or white backed. I use a basic inkjet printer so I'm not able to print white, which is why I would have to use white backed decal film in some cases. If your image has white in it it will have to be printed on white paper but then you have to trim the image right to the very edge. That limits me as to what I can reproduce or determines what the overall paint job would have to be to use certain images. It's fun though, especially when the final result comes out looking good. 

Looks awesome Wayne. How much did you cut to make the S/C body? It looks perfect.

If you scroll back up to the first pic I placed a regular top fuel body next to my build to compare. I don't have an exact measurement, it's pretty much just eyeball engineering.

I'd love to give you a pretty technical response but it's just not that complex. I have not invested in any expensive program. My technique for creating these homemade graphics is pretty basic, and limited. I find the type of graphics that I'm looking for online, transfer them to a word document where I can make adjustments to the size of the image, and then print them out onto decal film, either clear backed or white backed. I use a basic inkjet printer so I'm not able to print white, which is why I would have to use white backed decal film in some cases. If your image has white in it it will have to be printed on white paper but then you have to trim the image right to the very edge. That limits me as to what I can reproduce or determines what the overall paint job would have to be to use certain images. It's fun though, especially when the final result comes out looking good. 

that's basically what I do...am considering getting software and was curious...yours look fantastic

• 9 months later...

How about a new update on this one. I had to put this one away a short time ago after the clear coat didn't cooperate. So, I pulled it back out and decided to fix the problem by going in a different direction.

New paint scheme with new graphics. I also got started on paint and assembly. Chassis is the pearl blue that I did the original paint scheme in along with the front wheels. I also started assembling the front and rear suspension and getting the tires and wheels attached for good.

2018042511_15_01-vi.jpg

2018042511_14_37-vi.jpg

2018042511_14_13-vi.jpg

2018042818_27_14-vi.jpg

2018042818_26_23-vi.jpg

2018050422_26_22-vi.jpg

2018050422_26_03-vi.jpg

2018050422_25_41-vi.jpg

2018050422_25_17-vi.jpg