Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show pics of your dm600's

I am taking a break on my white freightliner build and starting the MPC dm600 kit, but I really don't have any inspiration yet. Post some pics of your builds or pics of the real truck. I'd like to build it a rig but the only pics I can find are dump trucks and flat beds, thanks! 

• 10 months later...
36 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Not to sound stupid but what was the reason for the offset cab?

So the engine doghouse didn’t get in the way of the drivers feet. This cab was more of a dump, or cement mixer type, and not so much a semi.

Edited by Brutalform

49 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

According to the Mack brochure the cab was offset to improve driver visibility. Mack says; "The cab is offset 11 1/2" to the left, putting the driver directly behind the left front wheel--a position that provides unexcelled visibility for maneuvering in tight places." I have also read that this improved vision for sharp curves such as mountains. The U model is very similar and had the offset cab. The U was very common around here as a road tractor. I talked to a man two weeks ago who once worked for Overnight Freight. He said in 1985 that he had purchased 100 U models used for city delivery. Several other companies ran U models as well.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2018 at 7:38 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

They shortened the hood and moved the cab forward in order to create a shorter "city" truck. This meant that the doghouse intruded more into the footwells. The engineers simply offset the cab to the left and restored the drivers footwell space.

The U and DM were built as both straight trucks, IE mixer, dump, flatbed, garbage packer, log body, box etc as well as daycab tractors which were very prevalent. Interestingly when I was turning wrenches in a truck shop that was mostly Mack oriented we had far more R and RD model straight trucks than DM or U models, I attribute this to living in a less populated part of the state. When we worked on trucks from Pittsburgh the mixers and dumps were usually DM's.