Model Cars Magazine Forum

IH Transtar Eagle II FINISHED !!

:PA fellow modeler I wont name here..Tbill..challenged me to build a truck kit straight from the box since all my recent builds get stalled from motivation. I finally caved in feeling the challenge would be a spark..or Id fail miserably. That's where you guys come in..I'll keep building this one OOB..just help me stay on track lol !! The trouble is, he has knowledge of this kit..and if I try to sneak in something except different paint scheme, the gig is up !! SO.I figure posting here would be my way to keep it an honest OOB . Thanks Tbill for double dog daring me..I needed a slump buster . The decals were pretty wasted, and the paint scheme was the one rule I could get a pass on.. I went searching for inspiration. The next pic was taken from over drive magazine, my truck is being modeled after the Kelty Farms Transtar.

34830648063_de3105b9d9_z.jpg

enough gab about why this is going on..I landed a kit yrs ago and after hearing all the positive comments, I grabbed a new xacto blade and wiped the dust of the glue bottle..whew, here we go !!!  No cheating was rule 2..so heres the box !  A few items were loose but completely unstarted !.

34830668433_ab273830aa_z.jpg

after a couple hrs of gluing this to that ..a grin started to come across my face, and I had something resembling a chassis.

35252723380_23abd9cf66_c.jpg

All the rumors are true..this kit builds so easily and everything so far has fit perfect, that reaching this point seemed like cheating !!

right before I had to stop to put our daughter to bed, I set the cab on just to see how things looked

34830672863_413e88458d_c.jpg

thanks for looking in..!! any comments or just truck chat encouraged !!

Edited by gotnitro?
updating pics from PB police

The trailer seen in the photo I hope to have attached to the truck, if KJ gets enough interest from buyers in making more !! The older wood deck Fruehauf would be more period correct..but the modern trailer REALLY looks great behind it .

You can do it Jeff! I like your inspiration photo! IMO, this has to be the nicest looking COE :)

Thanks Dennis !!! This coe and the kwhopper aerodyne is my favorite, step dad drove the newer version of the transtar that no one casts !

Edited by gotnitro?

rolling stone gathers no moss..well I dusted off the Iwata airbrush and painted the frame. I went simple gloss black after reading the 1:1 truck was wrecked in a horrific rollover  and restored . The Detroit will be a dark red, weathered lightly. Think Ill keep the interior the suggested maroon, but detail it with a dark wash to pop the details.

heres the painted frame and suspension

34835179074_321053b8bb_c.jpg

35636531216_88dee56dea_c.jpg

that's it for now !

any truck chat welcome ! lol

Edited by gotnitro?
updating pics from PB

that looks al good , nice start with the chassis , i have stil 2 new kits in the stash , and 2 to renovation 

i tought that i have 1 with air ride suspension

now this afternoon i go check it [ is a lot of work , where i put that renovationkit? ]

ore i am getting old and mix uo some thing,s

wel we see

jacobus

I agree gator everyone seems to like the IH trucks , but no rumors about re issues. Maybe someone who attends the larger shows can chat up the manufacturer and convince them to ! 

Looking great!! I really like the trucks. They've been my favorite kits since I was a kid.

thanks ! If the enamel ever dries I can start detailing 

Edited by gotnitro?

You can do it Jeff!!!!!!!!!!! Go go go go go go!!!!!! Lol ? 

looking good so far, always liked that type of truck. Have quite a few in 1/64 scale diecast.....

LOL thanks Kerry !! I have the next 4 day off so this will certainly get plenty of attention 

All the chrome was scratched in the package so I decided to send the chrome trees into the "pond"for an overnight soak. I hit a snag when it dawned on me that I used up all the gloss black base. Sounds like a trip to lhs for supplies !

Those fine pinstripes are gonna test my skills to mask and airbrush

LOL thanks Kerry !! I have the next 4 day off so this will certainly get plenty of attention 

All the chrome was scratched in the package so I decided to send the chrome trees into the "pond"for an overnight soak. I hit a snag when it dawned on me that I used up all the gloss black base. Sounds like a trip to lhs for supplies !

Those fine pinstripes are gonna test my skills to mask and airbrush

welcome, yeah I got the next four off too... working on my Pete and a 41 Dodge COE resin I'm building. Haven't put any pics of that one up yet.....

Heres my first try at sorting out the PB freedom ..moved my "prized" photos over to the flickr

I sprayed the first of two colors, a very high metallic platinum from testors line

35284032550_d223e77448_z.jpg

the first coat ..note the new water feature in the backyard we have after the recent flooding lol

then I rushed and sprayed a couple coats of ultra gloss clear..came out blotchy but wil level out and be polished after the blue stripe anyway

We had a huge storm dumping tons of rain on our town, makes for an usual shot in the background, glad the cuttty in on high ground !!!

Edited by gotnitro?

Jeff,

From my own experiences with Model Master Lacquer I can tell you that it needs a longer drying and curing time than Tamiya. It's not bad paint, but it's not as durable as Tamiya TS sprays, so don't be surprised if it takes a bit longer to harden up

Thanks for the heads up !!I noticed last night about 3 hrs later it still felt like low tack tape vs tamiya usually seemed cured. I attributed it to the high humidity,  but sounds like a trait of this paint. 

Hey Kerry, youll have to post pics of the 41 COE when ya get time, I really like the older coe trucks. Been seriously thinking about building the GMC Crackerbox aitm sells, can't tell ya what it is about that cab, just know I'd love one in the collection 

Hey Kerry, youll have to post pics of the 41 COE when ya get time, I really like the older coe trucks. Been seriously thinking about building the GMC Crackerbox aitm sells, can't tell ya what it is about that cab, just know I'd love one in the collection 

I'll post a few up tonight if I remember too!!!!!!! Your IH is looking point good so far..... Keep plugging away at it....... er maybe use the plugs in yer leaky basement!!!!! Lol ? 

Thanks Kerry !!!  luckily we didn't get more than a wet floor, several friends were flooded out requiring their utilities turned off for safety.

Ok..boy do I have a few pics to catch everyone up on !!  The Detroit..red??? was painted and bolted in , the cab was prepped for the stripe, and oh boy the chrome trees were stripped of their vintage coating and painted more appropriate colors !..enoy the pics!

34830467804_90cf7152bf_z.jpg

34862413623_dae217d003_b.jpg

35706630966_5d703751bf_z.jpg

35615904211_d58751f1f1_z.jpg

I ground out the rear of the rims to open up the cooling holes for detail

35679403026_9992888ea9_h.jpg

35679410396_a9ca9ab26d_z.jpg

theres more coming stand by !!