Model Cars Magazine Forum

OK, Revell's giving us another crack at the '30 coupe soon

Agreed. I figure if they follow a similar pattern as the deuces, we're move likely to see a sedan. 

yup! Revell gave us a 57 Ford sedan, then a wagon, then a wagon gasser, then.....nothing....I was expecting a Ranchero by now.....:angry:

I would think we might g

et a Ranchero by the holiday sales season. Would imagine the mess up with the 2 Model A kits might have slowed some of the other stuff down by pulling resources away from them.

Agreed. I figure if they follow a similar pattern as the deuces, we're move likely to see a sedan. 

I was referencing more to getting a STOCK version, more then which body variation. Would like to see a coupe since there was already was a 28 sedan that I have 2 or 3 of.

I was referencing more to getting a STOCK version, more then which body variation. Would like to see a coupe since there was already was a 28 sedan that I have 2 or 3 of.

I'm sorry to say it, but I think you replica stock builders will continue to be frustrated. The traditional hot rod guys have a better chance of seeing their wants addressed, I think, which might get you closer to your goal.

SAdly, and I say this sincerely:  New model kits of most cars prior to say, 1946, are just not gonna sell in numbers large enough, nor fast enough, to justify the development costs.  I, along with numerous other modelers, would LOVE to see more Pre-WW-II cars in model kit form, but we're just not that big a part of the market for model car kits.

Art

Revell probably considers that AMT already has the stock '29 market locked up with their roadster kit.

AMT should still have the stock/street rod '29 woody/roadster pickup, if not the 2-door sedan body. AMT had about 50 years to tool a coupe body for the darn thing but didn't, and of course Round2 won't (wonder if the sedan mold exists??).

I'd love to see a nicely details stock A too, but I'm not holding my breath for any major revisions on the Revel '29 roadster, though I am wondering how much trouble it would be to include a Deuce grille like on on the '30 coupe.

As it stands, I'm more like t pick up AmT's roadster for a traditional project, because the wheel wells are stock height, and it includes a Deuce grille.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Guys....Art is right on this one.  It's not that Revell is against stock-only pre-WW II new tooling, it's simply that they have to commit to projects that will sell in adequate volume to cover the investment and eventually get a modest return on their investment.   Hot Rod themed model kits have a much broader market appeal today than 100% showroom stock versions, and the buyers of these hot rod kits generally demand accuracy that cannot be achieved budget-wise with the volume of kit parts that would also be required to support a completely stock-only kit version. 

Like many of you, I am hopeful that eventually Revell will be able to do additional versions of the new Model A tool.  Personally, I would love to see a '26-'27 T Turtledeck body to go with the channeled, "Z'ed" frame parts in the existing tool.  I'm not the only one who has proposed this idea to Revell, either, and I recall from other threads on this Forum that many of you have suggested this as well. 

But for now and the near future, we need to give Revell time to get the original two Model A hot rod kits back on the market, and (hopefully) enjoy the resulting sales success that will justify/support the investment for future derivatives of this kit (and the '32 Ford and Rat Roaster tools, too).   TIM 

My Dad used to say, "If you were standing on the corner giving away--not selling, but giving away--chocolate ice cream, someone would come up and demand vanilla."  And Dad was right. :lol:

My grandmother used to say, "You'd be complaining if you were first on the bread line!"   The depression era reference was lost on us kids.   :P

SAdly, and I say this sincerely:  New model kits of most cars prior to say, 1946, are just not gonna sell in numbers large enough, nor fast enough, to justify the development costs.  I, along with numerous other modelers, would LOVE to see more Pre-WW-II cars in model kit form, but we're just not that big a part of the market for model car kits.

Art

Tell that to the Armor guys, aircraft guys, ship builders.

A '28-29 Coupe from Revell is very doubtful. Anyone who is familiar with stock Model A's knows that there is a big difference between the '28-29 and '30-31 cars. But, because the vast majority of the kits sold, even with stock parts included, would be built as hot/street/rat rods, the differences between the two wouldn't be noticed, or cared about. But maybe AMT might turn their Roadster into a Coupe, the changes in the tooling would be very easy. As far as a stock '30-31, the old Hubley/Gabriel '30 kits are still plentiful, (even though the scale comes out closer to 1/20), someone does make radiator shell for the '31.