Model Cars Magazine Forum

fuel and tax stickers

can someone tel me when the tax and fuel stickers came on the truck,s [ year of beginning and ended ]

because i want make the old truck,s with this old item correct

and also a bunch of licenceplates

on some old picture,s you see it clearly and some is stil in the year of 1980

and i like these old thing,s on old build,s for detail,s

thank,s already

jacobus

The fuel tax stickers for each state were phased out in stages. Starting in the early 80’s a couple states got to a consensus on how fuel tax would be handled among them. More states joined as time went on. In 1991 a federal act was passed to make fuel tax universal in all 48 states of the continental US. The deadline for all states to be onboard was September 30, 1996. So there were state fuel tax stickers used in some capacity up until 1996 depending on the part of the country.

As for the license plates, each state used to require a commercial vehicle to be registered in that state to drive through it. So a truck would need a plate for each state that it would travel through. In 1973 the International Registration Plan was passed which started with just a few states, but gradually all other states as well as Canada and Mexico joined in. Under this plan, only one license plate would be needed and a commercial vehicle could travel through any of these states.

thank,s guy,s , so the older one from 1950 and 60-70 dont need it

jacobus

In the 50's and 60's it was common to have a lot of separate license plates. By the mid 70's it was common for one license plate along with a bingo plate.

i have from modeltruckin already a sheet ful of licenceplates and fuel stickers

and  on a lot of older picture,s you see a lot of those sticker,s on the door and i think its fits by that time era

have seen one gmc crackerbox with a movingvan [ greyhound ] and that,s one of my do to make list [ one of these week,s ] and there you see the sticker,s and a lot of licenceplates on the bumper

have the decal,s al in the house and also the resinkit so......[ but there are a lot of projects on the table ] starts soon

and thank,s for the info

jacobus