Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not Paying Photo Bucket Post Pictures

Since the admins here graciously opened up the ability to freely upload photos here, directly to the posts (without limits), why are we looking for a 3rd party photo hosts?  The best way to make sure the photos stay with the thread for as long as the thread (and the forum) are up and online is to have the photos hosted locally on the forum.

Because this isnt the only forum that I post photo's on, silly huh ?

Because this isnt the only forum that I post photo's on, silly huh ?

Photo's?  :)

I wonder if you could upload the photos here and then link to them on other forums?  But the admins here would most likely not appreciate the additional traffic that would generate. Never mind. :mellow:

That's all well and good...but there's no link to a "register" page, and if you click on "upload photos" you get taken to a page that requires your email AND your servimg site password.

See, I tried all of that BEFORE I asked the question.

Don't know Bill, I registered a year or two ago. maybe they have changed. You guys can also use https://imageshack.com/ 

I'm just trying to help.

Edited by Classicgas

Hi,

I tried to register, even created a forum etc... but could not log into servimg, lame.

Read a few posts about this being a problem over the years.  Also there support says to not use the password reset on servimg but rather use the one on forumotion.  To me that says poor design and integration; i.e. bad technicals.

So I'm going to recommend against it.

I'm looking at Image Shack and so far like there terms as you still own your content rather then them owning it.

Also the idea of using Pinterest sounds intriguing as well.

Servimg  must have changed their sign up process. Like I said, all I had a o do was use my email and create a password. Imageshack is OK, but they limit you to how much you post in a month. Unless they have changed.

Hi,

It didn't change as a policy, but looks to be sorta broken.  This seems to creep up now and again with either configuration updates or system updates.

The thing I really wish to emphasize here is that tech and policy can change daily.

So terms and how things work are fluid.

I mean to say IT is always changing/updating technicals.  And management is always changing/updating policy.  Just something to always try and be aware of.

Photo's?  :)

I wonder if you could upload the photos here and then link to them on other forums?  But the admins here would most likely not appreciate the additional traffic that would generate. Never mind. :mellow:

I am pretty sure that would not like that at all.

Again, I need a photo sharing site , like I said, I post photo's on other forums that cover other topics beside's models, plus other uses like hosting images on my website if I needed too. 

I think its great that Dave is letting everyone use this site for photo storage , and I am sure for a lot guys, that is all they will need.

Hi,

I tried to register, even created a forum etc... but could not log into servimg, lame.

Read a few posts about this being a problem over the years.  Also there support says to not use the password reset on servimg but rather use the one on forumotion.  To me that says poor design and integration; i.e. bad technicals.

So I'm going to recommend against it.

I'm looking at Image Shack and so far like there terms as you still own your content rather then them owning it.

Also the idea of using Pinterest sounds intriguing as well.

Stay away from Imageshack, they did the same thing a few years ago that Photobucket is currently doing.

Stay away from Imageshack, they did the same thing a few years ago that Photobucket is currently doing.

Yes, I used to have a free account there and they did the same thing that PB is doing, except they gave an ample warning period.  They also purged all the photos when I chose not to get a paid account.  But at least their price was more reasonable that what PB wants. The funny thing is that after I dumped Imageshack I joined PB and now I'm in the same boat again.

I only post to few online forums and now they all offer local storage for photos, so I'm all set.

Hi,

Image Shacks pricing, not too bad, oh and sorry peteski, seems like you keep playing hopscotch with your pics.  Sux in fact.

I know that I've said hey if you don't like PB move on.  But all in all there approach has seemed very Draconian.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 8.52.39 PM.png

PS One thing to realize is that if this catches on, others will follow similar pricing structure.  It might be wise to caclulate man hours involved in migrating to other hosting providers just to have them do the same, vs paying the loot; i.e $400/year.

Edited by aurfalien

Yes, I used to have a free account there and they did the same thing that PB is doing, except they gave an ample warning period.  They also purged all the photos when I chose not to get a paid account.  But at least their price was more reasonable that what PB wants. The funny thing is that after I dumped Imageshack I joined PB and now I'm in the same boat again.

I only post to few online forums and now they all offer local storage for photos, so I'm all set.

Well least they handle it better than PB, a little bit of a warning would of been nice , not an email that says pay up or no more, but of course that is just my opinion, mileage may vary.

It might be wise to caclulate man hours involved in migrating to other hosting providers just to have them do the same, vs paying the loot; i.e $400/year.

I've decided I'm not going to bother "migrating". I'll have the mods delete the old threads when my images disappear, and post new condensed versions for the most interesting ones. My own site that's been idling for a few years now allows unlimited storage and a lot of bandwidth for a reasonable amount of money, so I'll just post and link to my own photos from there as necessary. To hell with the rest of it. 

I just logged into my Photobucket account.  Saw my pics.  Didn't prompt me for payment.  I don't have very many pics uploaded.  Showed 1%.  I wonder if that's why it's not hitting me up for payment.

However, I did not upload anything, so we'll see if it stops me from uploading.

Welcome to Fotki - your simple, safe and fun photo-sharing world!
Whether you're here to share and inspire, be inspired, learn, store or get it in print - Fotki is just the place! We're all about Photos.

Photobucket victims wanted!
If you are a victim of the recent price change at Photobucket and if you are affected with their new hotlinking policy, we welcome you to Fotki! We have been supporting hotlinking and taggers for about 20 years. At Fotki you will have the ability to hotlink your media, organize your collections with albums, folders and subfolders and keep full control of your privacy settings.
Fotki also:
- do not have any ads
- do not sell your information to 3rd party services
- have much friendly and competitive membership prices
- have very friendly and helpful human tech support

I just logged into my Photobucket account.  Saw my pics.  Didn't prompt me for payment.  I don't have very many pics uploaded.  Showed 1%.  I wonder if that's why it's not hitting me up for payment.

However, I did not upload anything, so we'll see if it stops me from uploading.

They don't prompt you for payment when you log on. And all your pictures will display and are indeed still there. The real issue is whether they have stopped serving your pictures up to other web sites. You need to check your forum posts to see if your images are still intact or whether you see the P500 Logo of Death.

There is, however, a blue banner across the top of the page when you logon which reads "We have updated our Terms Of Service - Learn More". If you click on "Learn More" you'll be taken to bajillions of words of fine print among which you'll learn that they no longer support Image Hosting except for their top tier premium service for 399 smackeroos per annum. Lovely...

Like you I have an account that's unaffected, although I have used about 40% of capacity on that one. And like you, I'm hesitant to upload images for fear it will trigger losing my image hosting. I suspect this will prove at least as damaging to Photobucket in the long run (by driving down usefulness an site traffic) as the ill-will and mistrust engendered among those who actually did lose image hosting.