Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not Paying Photo Bucket Post Pictures

First off, I never SAID I was an Attorney, AND to that back when I WAS a Photobucket user, (over 8 years ago now) You didn't have to sign and agree to ANYTHING..... I WAS a new user back in 2003. The YEAR they were a "Rookie" so. none of that fell onto me, and I don't recall doing much more than making a account with my then current e-mail, so having said that, I BET I was grandfathered in, if that account would still be "active" which it has not been in 8 years and thankfully, I removed ALL my pics way back when so I'm free and clear of this BS by them!

Still its a buncha Horse Manure!!!!

I just sent P-bucket a short email expressing my concerns over their new pricing policy. Short, because most of the words I used were four letters. Fortunately most of my pics are saved on an external hard drive and, thanks to Dave and the MCM team, I can repost most of my pics right to the site. Plus as an added bonus I never have to go to their slow, lousy, ad-choked site ever again!

Edited by jaymcminn
Continued rant

I've been paying PB since 2013, when I used up my free bandwidth right here, on a particularly popular thread. I opted for their basic Plus 20 package, (22.5GB) which has been very solid and reliable. They charge me annually, 25 or 30 bucks a year. That $400/yr charge is for their top-end Plus 500 service - 502.5GB, which most of us here will never use a fraction of. So far, they haven't bugged me or held any of my pictures hostage.

I've been paying PB since 2013, when I used up my free bandwidth right here, on a particularly popular thread. I opted for their basic Plus 20 package, (22.5GB) which has been very solid and reliable. They charge me annually, 25 or 30 bucks a year. That $400/yr charge is for their top-end Plus 500 service - 502.5GB, which most of us here will never use a fraction of. So far, they haven't bugged me or held any of my pictures hostage.

It will when your current subscription renews. They are obligated to provide the service you have paid for. They more than likely will not offer that package when it is time for your renewal.

Oh, they will. They didn't get around to nailing mine until yesterday. The only plan they allow 3rd party hosting on is this ridiculous new $400/year one they've come up with. Don't think that your perception of yourself as a loyal customer will count for anything in the face of the monumental greed, stupidity, and desperation that causes a company to come up with a "business model" as boneheaded as this one. 

It will when your current subscription renews. They are obligated to provide the service you have paid for. They more than likely will not offer that package when it is time for your renewal.

Hi,

There current plans which don't seem unreasonable.  Seems like a lot of drama here.

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 7.02.25 PM.png

Hi,

There current plans which don't seem unreasonable.  Seems like a lot of drama here.

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 7.02.25 PM.png

I just looked on their terms of service and they're still showing $399.00 for P500. $39.99/month is $480.00 per year last time I looked. No drama here. Totally justified outrage in my book. Oh yeah, and my Photobucket served screen images are still M.I.A..

Edited by Bernard Kron

I just looked on their terms of service and they're still showing $399.00 for P500. When/where did you get that screen grab?

Hi,

It mimics what you said.

The P500 you mention I assume is Plus 500 above being $39.99/mo or $399.99/year.

Are we not saying the same thing?

Here is the link;

http://photobucket.com/pricing

Hope this is what you are asking for.

I have found Photobucket's new logo!!! And for anyone wanting to defend their idea of charging $400 a year for a service that other paid sites offer much cheaper or that would actually pay $400 just to be able to post a picture on a third party site. I'm currently downloading all albums to my external hard drive before I tell Photobucket where to stick their site and delete my account, an account I have used since the late 2000s.

1146449_429614850477485_245656211_n_zpsd

before I tell Photobucket where to stick their site and delete my account, an account I have used since the late 2000s.

Hi,

That's actually a funny picture, well done.

But on a more serious note, why would you be nasty with them?  You got a free ride for almost 2 decades which is great.  You should thank them as you move off to another service which will eventually raise there rates.  I'm not following the mentality here.

It's very interesting that you expect anything on line to be free or near free, which probably includes this site.

I dare to ask many who are regulars here, do you have an MCM subscription?  It's how Greg keeps this resource alive.

I only got it to do exactly that, keep it up for all of us to enjoy.  Hell, I haven't even received the mag yet and I can tell you that I'll thumb through and enjoy it.  But it won't really be my thing as I build GT/endurance racers and the only mag to cater to that is long gone being MRRN.

Nothing is really free, not even that good old Obama phone from several years ago.

Hi,

Did you actually READ the plans?

ONLY THE MOST EXPENSIVE OPTION ALLOWS THIRD PARTY HOSTING.

THAT IS $400 ANNUALLY TO BE ABLE TO POST EVEN ONE SINGLE PHOTO ON A FORUM.

I've been a PAYING user for years. My plan costs about $36 per year.

They can go straight to hell if they think I'll pay 'em $400.

Hi,

Why get mad about it, just move on.  Again I don't get this mentality.

As long as there are other options, then there is no issue.

Sure it sux but I think instead of being nasty with them etc... that if many ppl told them it seems unreasonable to charge so much for simple image linking then they may listen and change.

Writing them letters with colorful vernacular won't influence anything.

Seems like Pinterest and Flickr are the top contenders.

Hi,

Why get mad about it, just move on.  Again I don't get this mentality.

As long as there are other options, then there is no issue.

OK...here's an issue.

Bobthehobbyguy just posted that all of Harry's photos are gone.

Do you get it yet?

And I personally have hundreds of photos on build threads (some VERY informative stuff) and how-to tutorials that I'm sure as hell NOT going to bother to reload on to another site and relink them all on the forums.

Still don't get it?

It would take me HUNDREDS of hours to dig through all my own photo files and repost everything that is fixing to be gone. Seein' as how my time is usually billed at $125 per hour, that's a lot of money to have to piss away.

And people with blogs and forum posts ALL ACROSS THE INTERNET have had the value of their content destroyed literally overnight, and are in the position of having to pay the damned $400 ransom or reload all their photos to another host, and then edit all their content to relink to the new host

Get it yet?

And I won't PAY EXTORTION to a company that does something like this out of the blue, with no warning.

To hell with ALL of it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hi,

That's actually a funny picture, well done.

But on a more serious note, why would you be nasty with them?  You got a free ride for almost 2 decades which is great.  You should thank them as you move off to another service which will eventually raise there rates.  I'm not following the mentality here.

It's very interesting that you expect anything on line to be free or near free, which probably includes this site.

I dare to ask many who are regulars here, do you have an MCM subscription?  It's how Greg keeps this resource alive.

I only got it to do exactly that, keep it up for all of us to enjoy.  Hell, I haven't even received the mag yet and I can tell you that I'll thumb through and enjoy it.  But it won't really be my thing as I build GT/endurance racers and the only mag to cater to that is long gone being MRRN.

Nothing is really free, not even that good old Obama phone from several years ago.

I cannot take credit for the pic, I didn't make it. It is just one of many that I found online. 

As for the rest of your statement, my mother always taught me if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all. So I'm going to keep my mouth shut, and I'm sure the naughty filter would have a field day with what I would say. Anyway, what I do or don't subscribe to and how I spend my money is frankly none of your business. Also, I would consider your last comment about the phone very close if not over the border of a political comment, which I do believe is a subject that is not to be brought up here. I wouldn't know about those phones anyway, I know how to pay a bill! 

Wrong. Good thing you're not an attorney.

According to PhotoBucket's "terms of use" which EVERYONE has to accept to be able to use the service...EVERY PD user signs away all of his copyright rights by clicking "I accept" when he signs up to use the site.

Facebook says that too, dosent mean it will hold up in court, just saying.

OK...here's an issue.

Do you get it yet?

And I personally have hundreds of photos on build threads (some VERY informative stuff) and how-to tutorials that I'm sure as hell NOT going to bother to reload on to another site and relink them all on the forums.

Still don't get it?

It would take me HUNDREDS of hours to dig through all my own photo files and repost everything that is fixing to be gone. Seein' as how my time is usually billed at $125 per hour, that's a lot of money to have to piss away.

And people with blogs and forum posts ALL ACROSS THE INTERNET have had the value of their content destroyed literally overnight, and are in the position of having to pay the damned $400 ransom or reload all their photos to another host, and then edit all their content to relink to the new host

Get it yet?

And I won't PAY EXTORTION to a company that does something like this out of the blue, with no warning.

To hell with ALL of it.

And I gotta go with you on this one,  I have three accounts on Photobucket that I now have to start downloading photo's from before I can delete my accounts, I will NOT pay them $400 year just so I can post my photo's on forums, not when there are other free options out there.

Facebook says that too, dosent mean it will hold up in court, just saying.

I think when it goes to court, and it WILL, the issue will be much more about secondary damages, monetary claims from bloggers whose content has been virtually destroyed, and emotional distress to forum posters, than about the arcane copyright aspects.

I think when it goes to court, and it WILL, the issue will be much more about secondary damages, monetary claims from bloggers whose content has been virtually destroyed, and emotional distress to forum posters, than about the arcane copyright aspects.

More than likely yes.

OK...here's an issue.

Do you get it yet?

I get it Bill, and there may be a solution, though it would be a huge undertaking. In Dave Ambrose's thread from earlier today, he said that by right clicking on the Photobucket symbol of greed and opening in a new tab, the pic will display through Photobucket. Also, Dave said that he removed the restrictions on how much can be uploaded through the sites uploader so that an outside hosting site is no longer needed, so it could be possible for Harry's photos to be saved by being copied from Photobucket and uploaded through the site uploader. I know this would be a huge undertaking as I said and would take more than just one person to do, but it would be an effort I would be more than happy to participate in when I can to help preserve Harry's legacy. 

I get it Bill, and there may be a solution, though it would be a huge undertaking. In Dave Ambrose's thread from earlier today, he said that by right clicking on the Photobucket symbol of greed and opening in a new tab, the pic will display through Photobucket. Also, Dave said that he removed the restrictions on how much can be uploaded through the sites uploader so that an outside hosting site is no longer needed, so it could be possible for Harry's photos to be saved by being copied from Photobucket and uploaded through the site uploader. I know this would be a huge undertaking as I said and would take more than just one person to do, but it would be an effort I would be more than happy to participate in when I can to help preserve Harry's legacy. 

I just looked and saw that all of Harry's fantastic Photoshop tutorial images are gone too, naturally.

And there's a little snag with doing the right-click-open-in-a-new-tab thing.

P-bucket won't display the photo if you have an adblocker enabled, and if you disable it, you're probably going to have to sit through a bunch of useless screaming marketing drivel just to post one photo.

I just looked and saw that all of Harry's fantastic Photoshop tutorial images are gone too, naturally.

P-bucket won't display the photo if you have an adblocker enabled, and if you disable it, you're probably going to have to sit through a bunch of useless screaming marketing drivel just to post one photo.

I wasn't aware of the ad blocker problem, mainly because the ad blocker I use through my Avast Antivirus for some strange reason works on every site BUT Photobucket. 

I just realized another horrible problem to my idea, because I actually began to try to restore the pics for one thread. I could see the pics through Photobucket after right clicking where the pic used to be in the thread, but that won't help because I forgot there would be no way to edit the post to upload and insert the pictures! :(