Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 SuperBoss 1/25

This is my rendition of Tyrone Malone´s SuperBoss reissued by Round2. I didn´t know the story of Tyrone Malone untill I bought this kit. And I am fascinated. I bought the kit to see the Allison automatic transmission that I needed for another model. I made a scratch copy of it and later added some details to the original AMT part. I searched through the net to find as much pics and info of the SuperBoss truck as I could. I learned that the truck went through some changes in time. I found differencies in colors and equipment too. I probably won´t be able to capture a correct combination of colors and equipment of a specific time period. More likely I´ll end up with colors and parts that never met on a real truck. That´s why I am not so picky when it comes to true color shades and that.

I started out with the power plant as usual. A very nice thing in my view.I sprayed GSI red over a grey primer.

DSCF9322.jpg?ver=0

DSCF9324.jpg?ver=0

DSCF9325.jpg?ver=0

The frame in the kit is simplified and some parts vary from the 1:1 original. But since the most of the frame is covered by the the rear body and the cab I just don´t care. I made the front axle steerable though.

DSCF9312.jpg?ver=0

DSCF9316.jpg?ver=0

DSCF9314.jpg?ver=0

The hood has a fiberglass pattern on the inside surface but also some big pin marks. Other inside details are missing, so I added the reinforcing ribbs and fender skirts (sorry if i used a wrong terminology). My version is simplified compared to the original shape but I can live with that.

DSCF9318.jpg?ver=0DSCF9320.jpg?ver=0

Up next, the interior...

Edited by truckabilly

Nice start Jarda.
As you said the Super Boss went through some changes over the years and so didn the others of Malone's trucks, but the recent re-issue of the Super Boss model kit represents the first two versions of the truck.
The first version was the 1974ish to 1978 version with Thermo King Diesel Racing Team on the doors, and the second version was the 1979-1988 version with Bandag Diesel Racing Team on the doors, they are quite similar except for some small things, for example the Bandag version had maps on the hood sides and Super Boss AMT Hobby Kit on the side plates of the rear wing wich the Thermo King version didn't have.
The colors was pretty much the same between the two versions and so was the interior.

Edited by Force

It looks like Photobucket hijacked my photos unless I pay them for a higher account level. I have no intention to do so. Therefore I have to try to find a new hosting or retire from the forum activities. I don´t think I have time and will for refreshing all the photos I have ever posted here.  

It looks like Photobucket hijacked my photos unless I pay them for a higher account level. I have no intention to do so. Therefore I have to try to find a new hosting or retire from the forum activities. I don´t think I have time and will for refreshing all the photos I have ever posted here.  

I tried another hosting. Does it work? Can you guys see the pics?

Yeah, I´m glad it works. I promised some interior pics. Well, one thing that I don´t like on the AMT kits is the interior tub or bucket or whatever you call it. If a wall is supposed to be vertical then it must be vertical. I cut off the the sides of the tub, enlarged the floor and added upholstery panels. Then I had to modify the safety cage accordingly.

P5240489.jpg?ver=0P5240491.jpg?ver=0P6300599.jpg?ver=0

As you can see I also added some details to the shifting tower and the dash. Here´s the real one for comparasion. These 1:1 photos were taken from facebook.

10551500_931976836830471_851700532169777

10659014_931971816830973_408994743367416

10628664_931971340164354_204487831762517

And this is my attempt.

P5310555.jpg?ver=0

The safety cage, here photographed with the new exhaust piping and radiator inputs. I spoiled the original pipes when stripping off the chrome layer.

P7050622.jpg?ver=0

Speaking of chrome, here´s the engine jewellery. It´s a combination of the original kit chrome, alclad II and Molotow chrome marker.

P6300583.jpg?ver=0

P6300584.jpg?ver=0

P6300590.jpg?ver=0

That´s it for now. Thanks for watching.

Nice work.

There are not many pictures of the early versions of the Super Boss interior, but the gauges on the dashboard looked a little different on the versions the kit is supposed to replicate wich are the first two, the dash board pictures in your last post are from the Gary Ries version as it looks today.
I looked through my references and here are a couple of pictures of how the dash looked in the first two versions and there has been some additions of gauges since then, and the top of the dash has tuck n' roll upholsery, not the diamond pattern it has today.
dsc06793n.thumb.jpg.515af69a95b546a6adde
Another picture where you can see the dash.

f24t3708p3087820n11.thumb.jpg.fdd671f179

The headliner as it looks today.

10714218_931976690163819_637606405813827

I don't have a good picture of the headliner on the early versions but here is one where you can see that the panel in front of the roll bar doesn't have the diamond style upholstery it has today, it's more like tuck n' roll like the top of the dash on my first picture.
But I believe the headliner in the early versions would have looked something like the picture above as I don't think the whole thing was diamond pattern all over.

10295111_839515779409911_311954398172181

Better pictures where you can see the differences on the door panels, the diamond pattern goes up higher on the early versions than it does today.

10993115_1014431025251718_89502061827738

Last version as it looks today so the interior must have been re-upholstered sometime late in the trucks life...maybe even after Malone passed away.

stagecoachmuseum86-vi.thumb.jpg.8087d80e

But, this is not that important as you really can't see much of the interior when the model is done, I just wanted to show the differences between the versions as I have found out in my researches.
When it comes to the Bandag Bandit the differences are more noticable as the whole cab and the colors of the interior are very different between the different versions of the truck.

Edited by Force

Well, that´s how it works under Murphy´s laws. Once you have finished something you get the reference material proving that you´ve done it all wrong. If I left the dashboard as it was in the kit it would be closer to back then reality. I will probably leave it like it is as tearing all this off would result in spoiled parts and I would have to start it all over again and scratch build another set of my own parts.

But thanks a lot for the info and pics, Håkan. I believe it will help some guys here on the forum. And who knows? Maybe I´ll change my mind and redo the  interior.

Actually, it´s not a diamond tuff. I made it look like diamond by scribing the lines across the holes with a scriber. This is how it looked before. I have only two of these resin panels. Unfortunately, I have no information of their origin. I think someone gave them to me a long time ago.

P5310557.jpg?ver=0

Well, that´s how it works under Murphy´s laws. Once you have finished something you get the reference material proving that you´ve done it all wrong. If I left the dashboard as it was in the kit it would be closer to back then reality. I will probably leave it like it is as tearing all this off would result in spoiled parts and I would have to start it all over again and scratch build another set of my own parts.

But thanks a lot for the info and pics, Håkan. I believe it will help some guys here on the forum. And who knows? Maybe I´ll change my mind and redo the  interior.

I hope you didn't take my post as critisism of your work because it wasn't meant to be, your work is outstanding as usual when you do something, and I know how hard it is to find good references when you need them, especially on this subject.
But if it is something you wonder about regarding the Malone trucks I have done research on them since I first got a computer as I have allways liked them, and I have saved everything I have found so far, so I will for sure try to help out if I can.
As I said in my earlier post, most of the interior will not be that visible when the model is finished as it's all black, and the windows are quite small, so I think you should leave it as it is and not destroy anything.

No, it´s okay Håkan, there´s no need to worry. I am sorry if my post sounded bitter, it wasn´t meant that way either. Any information is welcome and I am really glad you stepped in. Please, feel free to add your comments and info any time you want to. I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge on this subject, I really do.

And I wouldn´t mind critisism at all. It helps you to get better next time. There are flaws on my builds that I know about. And there are some that I haven´t noticed. It´s good to have someone who points them out.

Actually, it´s not a diamond tuff. I made it look like diamond by scribing the lines across the holes with a scriber. This is how it looked before. I have only two of these resin panels. Unfortunately, I have no information of their origin. I think someone gave them to me a long time ago.

P5310557.jpg?ver=0

I was going to ask where you got the padded walls from too . Its a shame you don't remember where it came from I could really do with some