Model Cars Magazine Forum

resin Cosma Ray by Greg Wann

I am currently building MPCs Cosma Ray  and was doing some research online and stumbled upon a member here that built on of Gregs kits. Its been three or four years and was wondering if he still offers a resin kit of this car. I wonder if he still hangs out here and how to contact him?

Thanks a bunch

Randy

I am still here.  The molds are in need of replacement.  Some have been replaced but not all.  I have been thinking about having the canopies vacuum formed instead of clear resin.  The clear resin ones can be tricky to make.

Greg

I  actually won one of Gregs Cosma Ray kits at Desert scale 2 years ago. Very nice casting. If Greg does the glass in vacuum form instead it will make this kit awesome! Been contemplating building it but moving has put the kabosh on much of that lol.

Paul

I was still learning the mold and casting process when I decided to dive into this project.   I decided to try claying parts up in a different way.  Each part was set on individual pyramid shapes of clay.  I first did what most everybody else was doing.  Setting parts on a flat surface and pouring silicone over them.  The outcome was horrible and I knew better could be had.  Unfortunately that thread somehow vanished from the board I have been posting projects on for several years now.  I ended up creating seventeen molds to recreate the Cosma Ray in resin.  I did send three kits to Darryl and Donna and Barry.  Barry owns the car.  I think Barry is a employee to Darryl, but not certain.  Dan Baker told me that the Starrbirds attended the big model show in Utah and this project made some quite amazing dinner table conversation.  I know Dan loves to talk and I am most certain he will gladly give you all the details.  I was certainly riveted when he shared the story.  When I first made the parts I was using a bright white resin.  I showed them to Bob Peoples at one of our build sessions.  He just could not believe they were resin parts.  He had me go show my work to Mike Hanson.  He was quite happy with the quality.  I do custom work for him now.  My hands are full of other projects too.  CR has not been forgotten.  I also still work a forty hour week job.  I also learned from a recent CT scan that my right kidney has a four centimeter something growing in it.  Hopefully I will be OK.

Greg's Cosma Ray kit casting is awesome ~ far better than he gives himself credit for. 

Indeed, Barry Grabel owns the 1:1 Cosma Ray and is a close friend and business associate of Darryl and Donna Starbird.  He has loaned the original Cosma Ray to their museum for indefinite display.

I had a long conversation with him during which we shared a lot of experiences with the car, its creator, its history, and . . . my involvement in the resin project.  Barry was very impressed with Greg's casting, and his having the 1:1 at hand for comparison and close scrutiny says a great deal about the fidelity of Greg's work.  Barry saw my build-up thread on MCM forum of the first casting Greg pulled. 

I grew up in Wichita and as a teenaged model builder competed in Darryl Starbird's annual model car contests.  That led to an acquaintanceship ~ and simply put ~ my life-long appreciation of his many customs.  I had the honor of hanging out at his shop during summer school vacation, and watched him create the Ultra Truck (AKA Orange Hauler). 

I had the thrill of being "reunited" with Darryl and Donna at GSL this year.  They were as gracious as ever, and we enjoyed many great conversations.

When Donna asked which of Darryl's creations was my favorite, I said I had two:  the Forcasta and the Cosma Ray.  Donna brought up the fact that Greg was casting the Cosma Ray in kit form a few years ago.  Donna and Darryl were very impressed with Greg's casting.  The Starbirds were surprised and delighted to know that Greg is a friend of mine, and, that I ~ the consummate Cosma Ray fan ~ suggested to him and encouraged (maybe badgered or perhaps brow-beat) him into the Cosma Ray resin project.  It's amazing what a small world it can be and how a 40-year story can come full-circle!

Regardless of my reminiscing, if Greg releases another casting series of the Cosma Ray, don't procrastinate - grab one before they're gone.  You'll never regret it.

I've got to get back to work on a couple of master projects - at least two of which may see the light of day as Greg Wann castings in the future:  the Forcasta and the Futurista.  I have to get them finished, then I have to go back to work on cajoling Greg to put them into production ~ because I've already promised Donna and Darryl first-run samples!   B) 

Edited by Danno

We don't really have a list.  We are working on a series of early 60's Dodge trucks.  You might find something of interest in the posts below.  I am not the most organized person.  Rocky and Harold and Mike Schnur and Mike Hanson and Danno are trying to help me.

http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/board/45/resin-casting

Edited by Greg Wann

Thank you, Danno.  I do appreciate the good words about my abilities.  I gathered up my Cosma Ray molds and only a couple don't look good but the silicone I chose is getting brittle and breaks easily when removing parts.  Rocky and I are going to give the bubbles a try with the vacuum form process.  I am working on a mold that will make a new hoop.  This is the part that the big bubble glues to.  It is hinged and opens to allow entry into the car.

When you look at the body.  It has a badge on it.  I think it is a George Barris badge.  I'm Sure Danno will elaborate on this.  I think there is a story where this car was found on a used car lot. George Barris got a hold of it.  He did some work on it and tried to claim he created the car.  I'm not trying to get anybody all stirred up over this rumor.  John Teresi built his with the beak and I really like this style, he did a great job.  Hopefully he will give you some inspiration to build one. 

Edited by Greg Wann

If the bubbles are the issue, I'd be interested in one without them. I'm not a big fan of bubbles in the first place, and I've got several C2 custom windshields that might look better anyway. It would look cool in my collection of C2 Vettes..

• 2 weeks later...