Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big blue Mack, a long time coming

I have been wanting to build this for a loooong time and as soon as I get parts gathered I will finally be starting it. I am looking to build the main truck from the movie "Moonfire" I started a thread in another section looking for some help with the decals and I ask the same here, can someone help me make correct decals from the pictures I gathered? I know they make a resin version of the correct hood, grill, and bumper so If someone could provide the link it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using the AMT R685ST kit for the cab, interior, engine and chassis but I will have to make longer fuel tanks, new exhaust pipes/stacks, sleeper, aftermarket front wheels and possibly back. I am going to attempt to make the sleeper from 2 mercury's from the western star kit. I am also going to try to completely wire and plumb it. Any insight is welcome, Thanks! 

Here are some pics of the real truck....

February1970FrontCover-vi.jpg

i040299.jpg

July1970FrontCover-vi.jpg

moonfire26dc3258.jpg

valmis920ke65974.jpg

valmis934wj85193.jpg

Edited by JUNK-MAN

I'm looking forward to this project!! I've been planning a R700 custom similar to this truck, but not exactly like this one.

I have a hood for a later model R700 that I picked up from Spaulding Trading and Shipping, but the only early model one like this one that I personally have ever seen comes cab and all from A.I.T.M.. The hood could be removed from the cab though to make it open. A.I.T.M. also has a sleeper that is very similar as well.

Looking forward to seeing more!!! I've always liked this truck!

Hi Nathan. I'm currently doing a 1/32 Mack Rubber Duck. Researching for that truck, I found the western series has straight chassis rails. I'm not sure if yours is an r700 or r600, the rails should be the same. The bonnet may be taller, and the grill is larger. Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing how yours comes along.

Ben

Thank you to all that pointed me toward AITM! They have the correct body kit and sleeper, though I will still have to do the exhaust, gas tanks, and battery boxes myself. I noticed that the prices on the cab kits were quite expensive, so it will be a while before I can afford it. Also I should ask those who have bought  from AITM, are all the parts 1/25 scale? I need 1/25. Thanks all 

Thank you to all that pointed me toward AITM! They have the correct body kit and sleeper, though I will still have to do the exhaust, gas tanks, and battery boxes myself. I noticed that the prices on the cab kits were quite expensive, so it will be a while before I can afford it. Also I should ask those who have bought  from AITM, are all the parts 1/25 scale? I need 1/25. Thanks all 

Hi Nathan. AITM is 1/25. I reckon they could be used on 1/24 as well. His 60s-70s mack gear seems to be modified amt pieces.

Ben

The AITM kits aren't cheap, but they are really clean castings and build out beautifully. I recently bought an R700 and its one of the nicest resin conversion kits Ive ever bought. Absolutely worth the money.