Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '39 Wagon Rod

It looks as if this one is coming out again.:)  I for me am happy, although others might be more indifferent to the news.

http://round2corp.com/product/1939-wagon-rod/

I find it funny though, that Round2 lists one of the selling points as; "Great engine and drivetrain parts for kit bashing ".

As if they think the kit is not attractive enough in it's own right.

I would love to see this re issued with different wheels, to fit the kit tires. Maybe Torgue Thrusts ? Also would love to see these tires, with other wheels, issued in separate sets, like the tampo printed Goodyear  L/60 - F / 60  Poyglas GT sets. IMHO, one of the best market offerings they've given us...'Z'

What car is this supposed to be? I like the body, was trying to think of some decent fenders/hood to go with it. Maybe 39/40 Ford? I imagine you would have to shorten the frame some though, or use maybe the AMT 40 Ford stuff underneath.

Looks like there could be an Allison engine under that huge hood.

Thanks,

Russ

I would love to see this re issued with different wheels, to fit the kit tires. Maybe Torgue Thrusts ? Also would love to see these tires, with other wheels, issued in separate sets, like the tampo printed Goodyear  L/60 - F / 60  Poyglas GT sets. IMHO, one of the best market offerings they've given us...'Z'

Tires in this, and the Phantom Vickie kit, are Plymouth Prowler tires.  Next time you see a glue bomb/partially built Prowler in a junk box at a show, grab it.

Some 1/20 scale wheels can be reworked to fit the rear tires.  For the fronts, look for either Jo-Han funny car rear wheels, or Monogram 1/24 scale wheels.  The Monogram stuff is hit-and-miss, not every wheel will work.

What I had always planned to do with one of mine is slam that sweet Art Morrison chassis under an AMT '37 Chevy coupe. Best part of the kit. 

Yes, it's a legit Art Morrison aftermarket fat fender hot rod chassis, not something they made up. There were even Art Morrison decals 

Image result for art morrison catalog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve Z.  About the Wagon Rod's front suspension:  did you construct some kind of 'jig'?  You've got me thinking, maybe I'll try the kit again.  Thanks

No, no jigs. Just very careful to get the A arms, glued to the frame at the same angle, left vs. right. I use superglue.   Actually thought it went together much more easily then others - The R/M series of 37 Ford Street Rods with the IFS.....I HATE those !  A arm mounting points are too fragile !  My favorite is the R/M '41 Willys Street rod front suspension, with the upper A arms cast integral with the frame...'Z'

The original idea for this kit was a Jairus Watson design for Scale Auto Sketch Pad some years before the kit came out, but it looked a lot nicer, he had original style headlamps and Pontiac Banshee three spoke wheels, even the Dodge Copperhead Concept car wheels looks better on this kit.

Here's a pic of the new decals. I liked the wheels, just not the center caps, here a pic of how I change them. I'm making mine a station wagon, got to do something with those headlights, and get the kahonis up to attempt doing the wood right.

DSC00426.JPG

DSC00427.JPG