Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose Cadillac

On 3/7/2018 at 6:09 PM, Alfa158 said:

I have been trying to find a hobby paint that most closely matches the color of the actual Foose car. Some people have used a Tamiya  blue but I see in photos on-line the car is a custom dark blue with a tinge of purple to it. The closest (but not quite exact) color match I have been able to make from on line searches is Lamborghini Hera Blue Pearl.  Gravity Colors has this paint. I found multiple images of the Lambo in this color, and the Foose Eldo, and these two attachments seem like good representations.

Does anyone have anything closer? If not, I'm going to try the Gravity Pearl over a black primer to darken it a bit.

Foose Eldorado.jpg

Dark metallic colors are difficult to judge from photos. Lighting also plays a big role in the way the color looks.  Color in the photo above looks fairly similar to the color I used on my 289 Cobra.

RtFront_zps92107242.jpg.8bceebf7211e99c22c8bf65c657cbaa3.jpg

I used a nail polish.  I don't remember the name - I would have to check the bottle.

Bottle01_zps25474a88.jpg.5b17d6a0fd77e973a7e4ac766459eee5.jpg

Thank you. One problem is that the only good photos I have of the original car were like the one I posted that were taken indoors. Mercury or fluorescent lights will change the color, even with digital cameras that have ambient light color re-balancing functions. I did try initially matching nail polishes, but couldn't find one as close as the Sally Hansen one you used. Matt at Gravity Colors thinks that the Pagani Huayri Blue is a good match to the Foose Eldorado, so I ordered a jar and will see how it looks once i receive it.

I e-mailed Matt at Gravity Colors. He thinks that the best match is their Pagani Huayri Blue. I ordered a jar and will try it out. I wish I could find a good photo of the Eldorado in sunlight. Even Foose's site has all the photos taken indoors, and mercury or fluorescent lighting can through the color off. In any event if I can get something that looks like the rich color in the photo I posted I will be more than happy.

• 3 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 1:24 AM, peteski said:

Dark metallic colors are difficult to judge from photos. Lighting also plays a big role in the way the color looks.  Color in the photo above looks fairly similar to the color I used on my 289 Cobra.

RtFront_zps92107242.jpg.8bceebf7211e99c22c8bf65c657cbaa3.jpg

I used a nail polish.  I don't remember the name - I would have to check the bottle.

Bottle01_zps25474a88.jpg.5b17d6a0fd77e973a7e4ac766459eee5.jpg

I couldn't find that nail polish but I did find a perfect match in a Dupli-Color touch up paint. It is Ford Sonic Blue Pearl, 03787. Ford's factory paint code is SN. I shot a plastic spoon, cleared it, and it looks like the color in the best photos of the car I could find on-line. (I found more photos since I started looking in March, but they were still all indoor lighting.) So that is what I'm going with.

7 hours ago, Alfa158 said:

I couldn't find that nail polish but I did find a perfect match in a Dupli-Color touch up paint. It is Ford Sonic Blue Pearl, 03787. Ford's factory paint code is SN. I shot a plastic spoon, cleared it, and it looks like the color in the best photos of the car I could find on-line. (I found more photos since I started looking in March, but they were still all indoor lighting.) So that is what I'm going with.

Sounds like a plan!  I hope that you'll photos of the completed model.