Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose Cadillac

Indeed!   Im brainstorming roofs to graft onto it.... and maybe some taillight options.. backdate the custom look a bit

I can imagine grafting an AMT '51 Chevy Bel Air hardtop roof to do a custom Coupe de Ville or a '51 Chevy Fleetline fastback roof...

I'm with Rob Mattis on the Desoto Grill. A Caddy Eggcrate style would look nice too. I wonder what the Aftermarket will come up with.

I can already visualize a Fastback Resin Body and some alternate grill treatments.  This looks like another great Custom Car canvas to play with.

Bravo Revell.

on it since yesterday

Edited by Freeman Cars
did not finish

That is a great looking kit , I'm really happy Revell has not molded the frame and interior shell together

I like the big block engine and intake too , too bad it isnt a Cadillac V8 engine in there , but it is a copy of the Foose car which uses a Chevy big block

I can see this being a base kit for many customs builds a long time from now

I ordered this kit and the Foose FD100 pickup and will be my first builds after many years since building

Edited by J.G.

I can imagine grafting an AMT '51 Chevy Bel Air hardtop roof to do a custom Coupe de Ville or a '51 Chevy Fleetline fastback roof...

Why not just use the Leadstone Custom "Chevy" (?) Fastback from Jimmy Flintstone that's supposedly based on Cadzilla? This chassis and running gear along with a couple of interior mods should make a fairly nice semi-clone.

Why not just use the Leadstone Custom "Chevy" (?) Fastback from Jimmy Flintstone that's supposedly based on Cadzilla? This chassis and running gear along with a couple of interior mods should make a fairly nice semi-clone.

That could work also..depends on what look you are going for...

Chip Foose did what GM did back in the day, put Chevy engines in Cadillacs...;)

Yeah, they always ran out of the engine from the more expensive car.  You never heard about GM running out of Chevy engines, and substituting Olds or Cad units...

Bought mine for parts, so I'm pretty much satisfied. The tires are a bit of a loose fit on the whitewall inserts on the fronts. Not too bad but I see it on mine and it's just noticeable to bug me but I think I can get over it. :rolleyes: No such problem with the rear tires, though. 

Trouble is, picking through this one, a few random observations come to mind, and I can think of  all sorts of inappropriate uses for the contents... (feel free to steal any/all you like)

1. That chassis could work under a couple of other existing kits, some of which have already been mentioned. It more or less has the right look for any GM car of the period, and since it's not a stock item anyway it would probably work under just about anything, but sticking with the GM theme... AMT '51 Chevy comes to mind, but I'm leaning toward a Revell '50 Olds. Keep the Caddy air filter for another project, discard the big block Chevy into the nearest storm drain, and swap in the Aurora V8 from a Revell Shelby Series 1. You'd need to find a suitable transmission.... or go ahead and work in the rear-mounted C5 Vette transaxle from that kit. You'd have the best-handling "lead sled" in the land. 

2. The rolling stock. GOOD GOD I LOVE THOSE WHEELS. I really wish they didn't have the pre-painted red stripe, but whatever. I can work around that. The white wall is so narrow they wouldn't look terribly out of place on a newer vehicle, though you may run the risk of giving the recipient a kind of narrow-white "old man" vibe. When the second kit shows up I have every intention of seeing what other tires will work with the wheels and vice versa. I want to use them as-is on a '30's luxo rod (Monogram Packard, maybe?) just because they'd look so perfect on it AND the very idea would cheese of the "Full Classic" automotive enthusiasts out there. 

3. The big block does nothing for me personally, but the engine itself is fairly well done, and I do like that fuel injection setup. One of these engines might end up in a Revell Suburban. (I don't have a storm drain near me, but I do have another '66 Suburban). Dress it up like a GMPP crate engine and go to town. Might work in an MPC/AMT Chevrolet C1500 kit ('88 body style) if you still have a few of those kicking around. 

4. Don't like the metal axles? That's what K&S rod is for. Replace the axles with pins cut from said material if it's that bothersome. Or save a couple bucks and cut down the kit-supplied axles. If you're into such things I think you could really wake up this kit's chassis with little more than basic painting/detailing tricks. 

5. I spent about 25 bucks on this kit, and for that I got a nice set of wheels, the Caddy air cleaner, a radiator with molded dual puller fans, a presentable chassis with halfway decent C4 suspensions fore and aft, a workable engine (and if not, I could rob quite a few parts from it, such as the AC compressor, pulley setup, etc.), a couple of nice looking bucket seats, and a heaping handful of various detailing parts (some might need to be cut away from the host part, like the kick panel speaker pods). I shudder to think how much I would have spent for all that stuff had I gotten it piecemeal from various aftermarket sources. I might even come up with a use for the Cadillac body at some point or, gasp... built the kit more or less intact at some point, albeit with my own touches. I like Foose's overall design but I think I'd build this with a closer-to-stock Caddy grille and a hard top. 

Edited by Chuck Most

right there with ya Chuck, I may get more than one when the go for half off or I have good coupons.

Given the last few "Originally issued as or intended to be pre-painted" kits by Revell, these will probably be hitting the clearance shelves more quickly than you'd think....

I mentioned this kit to my lovely wife and she popped right out and got me one. What a great gal.

After staring at it for a while, I think the windshield is laid too far back. I wonder how a '53 Stude windshield and roof would look on this. I think it would remove a lot of the "modern custom" from the model. Time to do some measuring.

Edited by Jantrix