Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Nascar Fusion?

Hi,

I really like that Revell is doing Nascar again but man what's up with those tires?

They look like big ol doughnuts, weird.

Kinda reminds me what they did on there Carrera RS 3.0, just an odd choice in tire.

I think Revell does great kits but sometime there are these moments were I say to my self; WTF.

You are not the only one, those tires are nothing close to what the real tires look like, they look horrible ,and I am very happy that I have a stockpile of previous NASCAR kit tires that I can use.

But what really gets me, is the tires in the snap kits were just fine, so what happened in the change from snap to full detail glue kit.

Edited by martinfan5

You are not the only one, those tires are nothing close to what the real tires look like, they look horrible ,and I am very happy that I have a stockpile of previous NASCAR kit tires that I can use.

But what really gets me, is the tires in the snap kits were just fine, so what happened in the change from snap to full detail glue kit.

Hi,

I'm assuming a Revell rep reads this forum.  It's a fabulous place so I'm certain other model companies do as well.

It would be quite swell to hear from them with regards to the reasoning behind those laughable tires.

Hi,

I'm assuming a Revell rep reads this forum.  It's a fabulous place so I'm certain other model companies do as well.

It would be quite swell to hear from them with regards to the reasoning behind those laughable tires.

The only person from any of the model companies that is a member of this forum is Dave from Moebius, Revell does not partake on this forum , you will not be hearing from them on the subject of the tires on this forum, the only way for you hear from them is to email them directly.

Edited by martinfan5

• 2 weeks later...

The tires in the kit aren't the ones seen on the test shot and box photos, they don't look too bad. They might be the ones from the snapper, I don't have one handy to compare.  This kit is for stock so I didn't open up the inner bags, apologies I couldn't get a clearer picture.    Has the digital dash as well, I think the test shot had gauges. Not a bad looking kit.  Body is 2016 spec (taller spoiler and no flare on the side skirts.)  Shark fin is one piece instead of split at the deck lid, only thing that jumped out at me as glaringly wrong.  Roof has the roof hatch, not all teams use it and only at certain tracks, so that may need to be filled.   All in all a nice looking kit.  Hope they do other makes (although I bet they wait on the Chevy as they're changing bodies next year).  

DBETyW3.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

Hi and thank you sir!

The tires look way better in your kit, cool.

PS It's my understanding that a Camry will follow soon?

i haven't heard anything official, but the hood, cylinder heads, valve covers and headers are on a separate tree so it's clear they have designed it to accommodate different makes.  Like I said, Chevy is switching to a new body next year and Toyota is actually using the '18 Camry a year early so that makes the most sense since it will be used for the next few years.  

i haven't heard anything official, but the hood, cylinder heads, valve covers and headers are on a separate tree so it's clear they have designed it to accommodate different makes.  Like I said, Chevy is switching to a new body next year and Toyota is actually using the '18 Camry a year early so that makes the most sense since it will be used for the next few years.  

The full detail version of the Chevy SS will be out in Nov

The tires in the kit aren't the ones seen on the test shot and box photos, they don't look too bad. They might be the ones from the snapper, I don't have one handy to compare.  This kit is for stock so I didn't open up the inner bags, apologies I couldn't get a clearer picture.    Has the digital dash as well, I think the test shot had gauges. Not a bad looking kit.  Body is 2016 spec (taller spoiler and no flare on the side skirts.)  Shark fin is one piece instead of split at the deck lid, only thing that jumped out at me as glaringly wrong.  Roof has the roof hatch, not all teams use it and only at certain tracks, so that may need to be filled.   All in all a nice looking kit.  Hope they do other makes (although I bet they wait on the Chevy as they're changing bodies next year).  

The body is still current for 2017, so no issues there, the roof hatch,  2017 rules state that every team must use the roof hatch for the 4 plate races.

According to the instructions , the tach is in the kit, which is fine, reason being, you can use the chassis for pre digital dash builds. you could use this chassis with the snapper body and do a 2013 before the change over to the digital dash.

The full detail version of the Chevy SS will be out in Nov

I hope I dont get in trouble for sharing this, but Jay Savarese shared some pics on a FB NASCAR modeling page of the upcoming Chevy SS. Looks like he's doing a build up for Revell.

20106413_10209351179844971_1419244702021

Someone asked about these tires compared to the test shot ones we saw earlier this year from the NNL East pics and Jay says they look good with the body...so Revell must of altered the tires, or the ones from the test shots were a mistake and they didnt have the corrected ones ready on time to display.

Tires:

20031625_10209351070162229_4187322701787

Anyways. Kit looks good. Well Jay's an amazing builder, the kit could probably be a lump of slag and Jay would be able to make it look fantastic. 

I'm not a NASCAR guy, but I've got two on the go now, and will definitely be picking up some of these new ones when they're available.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

DBETyW3.jpg

Those tires definitely look a ton better than the blobs that are on the test shots from NNL East and even on the built up kit Revell is displaying.

85-4218-lg_zpsntqgfjsw.jpg

Those things look like bricks. 

I just ordered mine online, it'll be weeks/months before they hit the stores up here I'm sure, so I opted to pay the extra shipping to get it sooner. Looking forward to getting one of these, they look like Revell has done a nice job on them. Here's hoping they do the different engine details for each manufacturer and also do a Toyota too. 

What everyone needs to realize is that the tires are the correct size.  The reason they look like "blobs" is because there is no lettering on them.  It makes the sidewall look huge.  The tires from my 88 above are the ones in the Fusion kit.  The other thing everyone needs to realize, is how they are positioned on the suspension.  IMHO, the fronts sit out a tick too far.  This is an extremely easy fix.

The test shot to me looks like it had Top Fuel slicks on it. Possibly that's all the builder had on hand.   The front suspension definitely needs narrowing (the snappers needed it, too), modern Cup cars have the tires tucked way up in the body.   It's hard to tell, but it looks like they may have completely left off the splitter on the Ford (the Chevy looks much better in this area or Jay added one).  The splitter is a pretty top-secret part so it wouldn't seem too hard to believe if they didn't have access to one.    And the '16 splitter shape is much different than the '17 splitter which I'm sure is part of it.  Like I said before, the body looks pretty good for a '16 car.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

What everyone needs to realize is that the tires are the correct size.  The reason they look like "blobs" is because there is no lettering on them.  It makes the sidewall look huge.  The tires from my 88 above are the ones in the Fusion kit.  The other thing everyone needs to realize, is how they are positioned on the suspension.  IMHO, the fronts sit out a tick too far.  This is an extremely easy fix.

Maybe I am wrong. But the ones in the bag that Brett shows look much much better than the ones on the build up or the ones on the test shot that made the show rounds, if it isnt the same car.

It could be just an optical illusion because of the no lettering, but to me, the ones in the kit do look better. I just ordered one of these today and should have it the beginning of next week so I'll be able to tell for myself. You've got them in your hands and that does make a difference, its not always easy to tell from pictures.

Anyways, your Chev looks great so far Jay, looking forward to seeing it done. I'm guessing because you added the extra tire decals this one isnt for the box art?

My build is of Jr's 2015 Dega winner.  I used Powerslide decals and yes, I did add a few things like the front splitter and I extended the rear bumper down like the super speedway cars.  My box art build up was the 2017 Chase Elliott Napa car.  I can assure you, the production tires are no different than the ones seen on the Revell display cars at the NNL's and on the box art for the Harvick Jimmy John's car.  If you build the model out of the box, the stance and position of the wheels is what everyone is seeing.  The wheels only need slight adjustments to get what you see in my 88 mock up.

there was talk about going to a 16 inch wheel at one time, but the lead time for goodyear to produce a tire and to have enough for the all the racing series that use the tire wasn't in the cards...at least that's the last thing that I heard about it...