Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fran Hernandez 32 3 window Ford

MGL

I just finished this up with help from and much appreciation to Dennis Lacey and Bernard Kron. I don't have any wire or styrene rod to do the radiator support rods and won't be placing any orders for several months so I will make those in the fall but for now I'm calling this done. The WIP is here with some background on Fran Hernandez:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/123934-fran-hernandez-32-3-window/

fh35

fh36

fh37

fh38

fh39

fh40

fh41

fh42

fh43

fh31

fh32

fh33

fh34

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

Very nice indeed. Immaculate black paint is the keynote which sells the whole vintage look. The interesting thing about both your model and the original Fran Hernandez 1:1 is that the chassis is just barely modified, leading to an unusually high stance with virtually no rake, and yet to get it to look right you do have to lower it front and rear (via lowered spring mounts at the rear and a mildly dropped front axle). That's the key the car's "old timey" vibe.

Regarding the radiator bracing, many of the Ace Hardware stores in my area carry the K&S line of hobby and craft metal tubing and rod. That's where I got my supply of .020 music wire that I use for radiator bracing. It's also commonly carried in most decent full-line hobby stores and railroad modeling stores.

Anyway, I love how much detail from the very few photos of the original you managed to include in your build, right down to the blacked-out windshield fram and the single windshield wiper mounted on the upper edge. I hope to see more from your bench in whatever style you choose to tackle next.

I think you nailed the stance and look of Fran's old 3-Window. It's all right-on! Even outside of the replica aspect, it's a period-perfect hot rod. 

Most people looking at this model have no idea all of the changes that were necessary to back-date the chassis and other details. 

B)

Thanks for all the kind words.

Niiiiiice!  Go to a music supply store ask them if they have any used guitar strings. Mine gave me some cheap new ones for free. 

My son plays so I have a pretty good selection of guitar string to choose from, maybe I'll take another look and see if I missed something.

I think you nailed the stance and look of Fran's old 3-Window. It's all right-on! Even outside of the replica aspect, it's a period-perfect hot rod. 

Most people looking at this model have no idea all of the changes that were necessary to back-date the chassis and other details. 

B)

That's what I really like about this car is how subtle it is. I would have never gotten the chassis details figured out with out your advice, thank you.

Looks lovely! As others have said, the paint really sets it off. Did you use a clear? Or simply polish the black coat? 

To stay true to the era I just polished the lacquer.

• 6 years later...