Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meant to represent a truck that is used but not abused, perhaps maybe even a hand me down from a parent, and kept in the family since new. I think I may have went a little further on the weathering than I intended, and there are some areas that I simply failed at. I thought about working on a few more areas, but feel that I needed to call this one done at some point. This is the most extensive weathering I have done on a model, and represents some first attempts in various areas as well.

Started with AMT Super Stones 78 Ford pickup

After market items used as is or modified;
Detail Master power steering pump and alternator brackets, and sunglasses, pocket knife, oil filler cap, plate frames
Scenes Unlimited tires, battery, and Brake Backs
soft metal oil filter (pulled from the parts box, possibly R&M)
Bolt and nut heads from various companies
Bare Metal Foil
Wire mesh for grill (source unknown)

scratch items
grill is 23 pieces of styrene rod, rough but more realistic(will create jig for next similar project)
Lowered mounting points for suspension to lower vehicle stance
body to frame mounting brackets
power steering pump dipstick
Hand rag on seat
Rear window, rubber seal Elmer's glue and black Tamiya paint

parts box
master cylinder
rims
Radiator (kit did not come with one)
Radiator top
rear-view mirror
printed plates

Body mods
removed door side trim for better looking door graphics
created utility box to be seen from the bottom, as well as door jams, the chassis looked like it had gaping open spots that needed to be filled, otherwise painted, dinged, bumped and weathered.

decals printed for me by fellow modeler Ken Shaffer
main body color by Scalefinishes.com
weathering stains and pigments by Mig Ammo and Vallejo, and AIM products plus various others including RustAll.

SAM_0949-vi.jpg

SAM_0903-vi.jpg

SAM_0902-vi.jpgSAM_0905-vi.jpg

SAM_0907-vi.jpg

SAM_0912-vi.jpgSAM_0913-vi.jpgSAM_0914-vi.jpgSAM_0916-vi.jpg

SAM_0921-vi.jpgSAM_0923-vi.jpgSAM_0924-vi.jpgSAM_0926-vi.jpgSAM_0930-vi.jpgSAM_0931-vi.jpgSAM_0934-vi.jpgSAM_0935-vi.jpgSAM_0937-vi.jpgSAM_0938-vi.jpgSAM_0940-vi.jpgSAM_0942-vi.jpgSAM_0943-vi.jpgSAM_0944-vi.jpgSAM_0948-vi.jpg

Excellent build, everything about it is right on.  I especially like the dents along the top of the tailgate; for some reason that usually is one of the first places a work truck gets damaged.  You may want to add a bit more oil along the front cross-member under the engine, after all it is a Ford engine. ;)

I followed your build and everything you did to the appearance of the truck. As everyone else has pointed out you nailed it on the appearance. I liked going back and looking at all the little details, just amazing.  

Thanks everyone! I sincerely appreciate the kind words.  I really like the realism that military and figure builders are able to capture, and just want to move closer to that. This was a true learning experience, some things going as planned, others...eh, not so much, but I love what David G. says in his footer above, "Each kit I build is really only practice for the nest". I have some other future projects in mind, so we shall see where that goes. I will probably build a couple non-weathered (at least to this extent) models before I tackle another project like this one. :D  

WOw. Amazing work on an awful kit.

I've been fighting my Super Stones Ford for a while now. Haven't been happy with any aspect of the build. 

Yours is just about perfect thought. Engine and chassis is excellent.

:)

Thanks! Yeah, I like the body dimensions and a few other odd bits, but overall it is indeed a very poor kit. That is kind of what led me to go the weathering route. The chassis is odd with giant open gaps where these should be floor pan, no real radiator, lack of mounting points etc, and I thought about not finishing at one point, but I had too much time invested, and I do not like to give up.hehe

Thanks! Yeah, I like the body dimensions and a few other odd bits, but overall it is indeed a very poor kit. That is kind of what led me to go the weathering route. The chassis is odd with giant open gaps where these should be floor pan, no real radiator, lack of mounting points etc, and I thought about not finishing at one point, but I had too much time invested, and I do not like to give up.hehe

There have been a number of times I almost threw the entire kit in the parts bit. Nothing fits right, and the lack of details is annoying. But I'm in the same boat as you; I HAVE to finish kits I start!