Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin 69 AMC Rebel

I have their '70 Road Runner, and it is very good. It is based from the old 1/25 JoHan, which I prefer over the Revell 1/24 offering. I scrapped an old broken, built up '70 Super bird I built back when I was in high school for the interior and the chassis. I may adapt an AMT '68 Road Runner chassis and running gear to it for a more detailed build.

I looked at their catalog, and they have some interesting pieces I may have to invest in.

Looks good...guess you would have to find a Jo-Han '70 Rebel Machine for the chassis, engine and interior...

This is not correct way to build 1969 Rebel.

1970 Rebel Machine kit has wrong dash, engine, tranny and old torque tube chassis. A bit the same as putting X-frame chassis to 1969 Chevelle. It is a challenge to build correct AMC but you can use Mustang/Torino/Talladega chassis and AMT Gremlin/Matador engine and modify them.

This is not correct way to build 1969 Rebel.

1970 Rebel Machine kit has wrong dash, engine, tranny and old torque tube chassis. A bit the same as putting X-frame chassis to 1969 Chevelle. It is a challenge to build correct AMC but you can use Mustang/Torino/Talladega chassis and AMT Gremlin/Matador engine and modify them.

Chassis should be the same from '69-70...  The '70 Rebel was just a restyle of the rear clip..the Johan '69 and '70 should be the same under the skin..

Edited by Rob Hall

Chassis should be the same from '69-70...  The '70 Rebel was just a restyle of the rear clip..the Johan '69 and '70 should be the same under the skin..

You are right but only with 1:1 Rebels. Those had normal rear spring suspension and drive shaft in 1967-70, not old torque tube that dropped away in 1966. Only Rebel 1966 had torque tube chassis.

Despite it Jo-Han Rebel kits 69-70 have old gen 1 327 V8 engine, unknown manual tranny and torque tube chassis from '66 Marlin. Interior is from Ambassador. A real  jigsaw puzzle like sadly famous Jo-Han '69 SC/Rambler ('66 body, convertible interior and so on).

Luckily those kits bodies are quite nice and it is possible to build correct models.

The ideal chassis to use would probably be the Jo-Han Ambassador/Rebel/Marlin (from the firewall forward) with the rest coming from an AMT Matador coupe.  You'd need a stock Matador kit; the later NASCAR and Sportsman issues have alterations like a fuel cell.

The resin body is probably being done more with the funny car version in mind, even though the 1:1 never ran as a '69.