Model Cars Magazine Forum

AAR Cuda and Model King Mopar

Without sounding "smart". Things take time and money, I'am sure these will be released in future dates(years) possibility..On the AAR. Someone took a later issue of it and used the decals/engine et al one the recently released stock one..Idea?maybe..Good luck...

They are? Awh man, dang. I bought three AAR 'Cuda kits they put out in 1995 a month ago. It was based on the Monogram '71 Cuda for the most part with some parts blending from the '70 Challenger with the same T/A engine.

1970aar_cuda-19.jpg1970aar_cuda-18.jpg

Now if they made one based on the superb '70 Cuda casting, that would be friggin' epic.

They are? Awh man, dang. I bought three AAR 'Cuda kits they put out in 1995 a month ago. It was based on the Monogram '71 Cuda for the most part with some parts blending from the '70 Challenger with the same T/A engine.

1970aar_cuda-19.jpg1970aar_cuda-18.jpg

Now if they made one based on the superb '70 Cuda casting, that would be friggin' epic.

That travesty was NOT based on the 71 Cuda, it was based on the 70 Challenger, thus 2 failed attempts to get a Cuda out of a Challenger tool. The real cars are not the same,

Well, as they say Lee.........."Three times the charm!" Let's hope their third attempt is a home run this time. While the new tool 'Cuda is not perfect, it's nowhere near the mess that the first two attempts were.

Give 'em time...........I'm sure Revell will release one sooner or later. There is a thread where someone (AFX) is taking the new tool 'Cuda and kitbashing it with the old 1/24 one. Mixing scales can be troublesome at times, but this one so far is coming along pretty well.

I believe, I am the one Wayne (moparfarmer) is talking about here, as recently I posted my '70 AAR 'Cuda on another board. I started the conversion when the Revell '70 'Cuda first came out and, it was just finished this last winter. It consisted of the afore mentioned Revell '70 'Cuda, the original Revell '95 edition AAR, and the 340 from AMT's Duster. Most of the AAR specific body parts transferred to the new 'Cuda body without modification except the hood which only needed minor sanding of the edges to make it fit. The reason it took so long? I tend to get carried away with the details and this was no exception, I figured since I was doing a conversion, why stop there? And I proceeded to fully detail it with all the wiring and plumbing it deserved.

32687e9b93_md.jpg

3c29ee628a_md.jpg
28830308eb_md.jpgd22f16e4df_md.jpg
007ba06636_md.jpgd8457baad9_md.jpg
815f3f27bf_md.jpg54018e5e7a_md.jpg
05cf544d9e_md.jpg
f08c0ef976_md.jpg
ac5ab8f051_md.jpg
797909c8be_md.jpg
d6cea01643_md.jpg
1e07620921_md.jpg
b92113d260_md.jpg
18fc7da2a5_md.jpg
735f99bfea_md.jpg

Edited by hemi_426_vit
word left out

Nice work Brian.  I was tinkering with the street parts to see if I could get them to work with thoughts of a trans-kit but I don't think there is a market for one.

My true intentions are to build the Trans-Am race car.

DSCN4712

Edited by afx

Looks good JC, quite an undertaking turning that stock body into the race car though. Shouldn't be too hard to gather all the necessary parts for it, the Revell '67 Corvette 2n1 has some nice mini-lites in it that could be useful and the '71 'Cuda street machine has an extra tall rear spoiler that might work. I can't wait to see how yours turns out in the end, it's looking real good so far...diggin' that dominator and intake! Good luck and thanks for the kind words!

I believe, I am the one Wayne (moparfarmer) is talking about here, as recently I posted my '70 AAR 'Cuda on another board. I started the conversion when the Revell '70 'Cuda first came out and, it was just finished this last winter. It consisted of the afore mentioned Revell '70 'Cuda, the original Revell '95 edition AAR, and the 340 from AMT's Duster. Most of the AAR specific body parts transferred to the new 'Cuda body without modification except the hood which only needed minor sanding of the edges to make it fit. The reason it took so long? I tend to get carried away with the details and this was no exception, I figured since I was doing a conversion, why stop there? And I proceeded to fully detail it with all the wiring and plumbing it deserved.

32687e9b93_md.jpg

3c29ee628a_md.jpg
05cf544d9e_md.jpg
f08c0ef976_md.jpg
ac5ab8f051_md.jpg
797909c8be_md.jpg
d6cea01643_md.jpg
1e07620921_md.jpg
b92113d260_md.jpg
18fc7da2a5_md.jpg
735f99bfea_md.jpg

Did you use the decals from the 1/24 kit?   Looks good and the hood fits like the 1:1 cars all did!  Lol!

There is a really good article in SA about converting the new tool Revell "Cuda" into a Gurney T/A. I think he did bascially the same stuff you have done to your conversion. Fred Cady made decals for the stock T/A as well as the Gurney, Swede Savage T/A Cudas. I don't know of any one else who does thoses. I had a set put for some reason sold them. I had hoped some one would do the hood and spoiler in resin so I can do the race car.So far I have only seen the hood.  Keep up the good work. Jim

Edited by james460

Did you use the decals from the 1/24 kit?   Looks good and the hood fits like the 1:1 cars all did!  Lol!

Yes, I had to cut them into 3 pieces and remove a little before applying them but, as you can see they worked well. As far as the hood is concerned, all Ma Mopars fiberglas-hooded cars were like that! LOL, they didn't have to fit perfect to go fast and look cool! Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, I had to cut them into 3 pieces and remove a little before applying them but, as you can see they worked well. As far as the hood is concerned, all Ma Mopars fiberglas-hooded cars were like that! LOL, they didn't have to fit perfect to go fast and look cool! Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks!  I had a red one back in like 2000 and it had a warped hood... 

Started a new thread on my race car build. I should track down a copy of the SA article, would be interesting to see what that builder did.  I have a set of Cady's Swede Savage decals.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/124550-70-cuda-ta/

There was also a series of articles in MRRN many years ago on detailing/converting the Monogram kits into TransAm spec

There was also a series of articles in MRRN many years ago on detailing/converting the Monogram kits into TransAm spec

Thanks David.  I have a complete set of MRRN issues - my favorite modeling magazine by far.

• 3 weeks later...

Great conversion Brian really cool

Do you have a link to article? I am curious the other body modifications you made?

32687e9b93_md.jpg

3c29ee628a_md.jpg
05cf544d9e_md.jpg
f08c0ef976_md.jpg
ac5ab8f051_md.jpg
797909c8be_md.jpg
d6cea01643_md.jpg
1e07620921_md.jpg
b92113d260_md.jpg
18fc7da2a5_md.jpg
735f99bfea_md.jpg

Thanks Jerry, there was no "article" I just posted the same pics you see here on another message board. The only body mods were to the hood as described in my post and also the rear valence had to have the exhaust pipe holes filled which I forgot to mention, it was all pretty straight forward with little drama except, as I mentioned, I get carried away with detailing. Thanks again for the kind words and hope you can take inspiration from my build to do one of your own!