Model Cars Magazine Forum
Jhedir6

1970 Bud Moore Boss 302 Mustang

I'm searching for some reference pics for the 1970 Bud Moore Boss 302 Mustang Trans Am cars. Either Parnelli Jones or George Follmer's car. Specifically of the chassis/under carriage. I've got exterior/interior pics as well as engine bay but I'm having trouble finding pics of the underside. I'm trying to replicate a build as close as possible so if you have any pics I'd appreciate some copies or a link to a site hosting some...I'm coming up dry.

Pics of what I'm looking for:

Parnelli-stang_zpsznovl8ko.jpg

sp07938_zpsrzyck2gk.gif

Thanks

David

Edited by Jhedir6

That may be a tough one as back then no one thought to take pictures.  Perhaps if one of these survivors goes up for auction they might have undercarriage pictures.  Good luck with the search.

Here is the underside of a diecast model of a 69 Boss T/A race car.

IMG_0863.JPG

Thanks Rex.

I may just make it up as I go. I havent started the project yet, still collecting parts etc, but if I cant find any vintage pics I'll just do what I want, likely go for a period correct stock underside.

I think the diecast is pretty close since it has the pipes out the side and what looks like the floating rear used on some of the T/A cars along with staggered shocks and traction bars.  There are some nice pictures on silodrome.com but none of the underside.

I believe they ran a Watts Link at the rear, with the center pivot attached to the frame and the links attached to the axle ends. Looks like the diecast attempts to replicate this reasonably closely.

Surprising I know Rex but I have found some great information on that site.

Mine îs still a work in progress.  I will save the Watts linkage for a 69 Boss 302.

IMG_0865.JPG

A few years ago, I was seeking as much photographic info as I could gather for a future build of mine; a 1970 Trans Am Chevrolet Chapparel Camaro that was driven by Jim Hall and Ed Leslie during the early-1970's Trans-Am Racing seasons.  In my searching, I came across the following website:

http://www.historictransam.com/home.html

This website is dedicated to the people who have found and restored 1:1 ex-Trans Am race cars, and are still racing them today, in events mostly on the West Coast.  In your search on this website, you will find at least (2) of the original 1970 Bud Moore Trans Am Mustangs that have been restored and are back-on-the-track today.  The website is loaded with excellent photography of those Mustangs plus many, many other different Trans Am race cars.  In some cases, there is more detailed photography of some of the specific cars, but there are few undercarriage shots.

Looking for those same type of undercarriage photos for my '70 Camaro build, I emailed the website's director and explained my situation; "I'm attempting to build an accurate 1/25 model of a 1970 Chapparel Camaro."  Low and behold, he emailed me back with the email address contact information for the gentleman that owned one of those Camaros!  A simple email to the Camaro's owner explaining my desire to build an accurate model resulted in a correspondence with that Camaro owner that lasted for nearly 2 months!  He emailed me dozens of photos of the car before, during and after its restoration!  Because the Camaro was up-on-the-rack, I got several different undercarriage images that will be extremely helpful when I restart my 1/25 Trans Am Camaro build!

Now, I will add to this storyline that the current owners of these vintage 1:1 Trans Am race cars are usually extremely busy/successful business people that may or may not have the time to respond to any attempts to gather info like my attempt, and I know I was extremely lucky to find the current owner of the car that I want to build and he was very willing to send me photos, so I can't guarantee you'll have any success trying to connect with one of the Bud Moore Mustang's current owners, but I'd certainly give it a try!

I'm hoping you'll be as lucky as i was!

Thanks for the replies and the links boys. 

What I really was wondering was how the underside was painted and it matches the interior/engine bay color, that speckled grey paint which I'll have to figure out how to replicate. 

Good to know about the Watts rear end too.

Thanks again for the info, makes things easier to know what to plan for.

David

That speckled gray paint is Zolatone - it was used a lot in those days for underbody and interior surfaces.

This is a inspiring thread!  You guys are just a wealth

of information.

I love Tran-Am cars and plan to build a few myself.

So thanks so much for sharing guys!!

David S.

Adding a pic for you-

'70 Boss 302 #15 Parnelli Jones car 01.jpg

Edited by mod3l Lover

A few years ago, I was seeking as much photographic info as I could gather for a future build of mine; a 1970 Trans Am Chevrolet Chapparel Camaro that was driven by Jim Hall and Ed Leslie during the early-1970's Trans-Am Racing seasons.  In my searching, I came across the following website:

http://www.historictransam.com/home.html

This website is dedicated to the people who have found and restored 1:1 ex-Trans Am race cars, and are still racing them today, in events mostly on the West Coast.  In your search on this website, you will find at least (2) of the original 1970 Bud Moore Trans Am Mustangs that have been restored and are back-on-the-track today.  The website is loaded with excellent photography of those Mustangs plus many, many other different Trans Am race cars.  In some cases, there is more detailed photography of some of the specific cars, but there are few undercarriage shots.

Looking for those same type of undercarriage photos for my '70 Camaro build, I emailed the website's director and explained my situation; "I'm attempting to build an accurate 1/25 model of a 1970 Chapparel Camaro."  Low and behold, he emailed me back with the email address contact information for the gentleman that owned one of those Camaros!  A simple email to the Camaro's owner explaining my desire to build an accurate model resulted in a correspondence with that Camaro owner that lasted for nearly 2 months!  He emailed me dozens of photos of the car before, during and after its restoration!  Because the Camaro was up-on-the-rack, I got several different undercarriage images that will be extremely helpful when I restart my 1/25 Trans Am Camaro build!

Now, I will add to this storyline that the current owners of these vintage 1:1 Trans Am race cars are usually extremely busy/successful business people that may or may not have the time to respond to any attempts to gather info like my attempt, and I know I was extremely lucky to find the current owner of the car that I want to build and he was very willing to send me photos, so I can't guarantee you'll have any success trying to connect with one of the Bud Moore Mustang's current owners, but I'd certainly give it a try!

I'm hoping you'll be as lucky as i was!

Excellent website! Added to favorites!

Have you tried this website

3dog.org

they have a shop and a museum outside of Philly in Boyertown ,PA. They have a bunch of early and late model stuff. 

I know this is a little old, But I've worked on restoring some vintage 1:1 Trans Am race cars. I was involved as a Tech Inspector when they were racing originally.  I posted a thread of pics of a '67 Mustang Shelby Trans Am car, but that thread was seriously hurt when Phototoilet threw their tantrum.

'67 Shelby Mustang Trans Am

When I figure out how best to repost photos I'll fix that thread. I've also restored a 72-72 Javelin built and raced by Penske to a Championship with Mark Donohue at the wheel and then sold to Roy Woods Racing and raced to another championship with George Follmer driving. 

I just watched last night a YouTube video of the '66-'72 Trans Am race at the Monterey Historics from a couple years ago and it was won by that same Javelin and that '67 Mustang. Another one I worked on the restoration of is a '69 Boss 302. That was built using the Kar Kraft/Ford factory How-to book on building a Boss 302 for Trans Am racing. It was raced by a privateer in '69-'72. That car is seen in that same video. I have some pictures of the belly of the car on a rotisserie. It has the Watts linkage and the over-rider traction bars. The '67 has those traction bars too.

2ndRestore_12_RP PalmSprings_11-92.jpg

2ndRestore_06.jpg

69Boss 302_71Javelin paddock PalmSpringsVintRaceNov 92 Richard Parcells by front fenderb.jpg

69 Boss302 Rotisserie_Fernando Lozano_02b.jpg

Boss302Rotisserie_reinforcing welds on factory seams_03b.jpg

Boss302_WeldingCage _03.jpg

Boss302_WeldingCage _08.jpg

Boss302Rotisserie_06.jpg

Edited by DustyMojave

I'm the guy with the wrench next to the Javelin in the 1st pic above and and squatting next to the Boss 302 with back to the camera in the 3rd pic.

The pivot arm for the Watts link mounts on a cross member made of square tube. The ends of the links mount to brackets on the axle housing. Here are some more pictures of the '67 traction bars and the covers for them and the finished '67 Mustang. The under-hood shot is the '69 Boss 302 (ignore the duct tape that resulted from an over enthusiastic customer), and the last is the '69 down the corkscew at Laguna Seca. The seats in both cars are fiberglass buckets like found in the GT350R kits.

100_9145.JPG

100_9146.JPG

100_9666.JPG

100_9707.JPG

69Boss302 under hood_PalmSpringsVintageRace Nov 1992b.jpg

MustangBoss302_TransAm_01.jpg

100_9649.JPG

Hey Rex, have you ever held that die-cast '69 Trans Am Mustang to the Monogram '70 Mustang to see how close the wheelbases are? Would be interesting to know in case they are the same so I can start looking for a diecast like you have. Resin body time for a possible street version '69 Boss 302, since Monogram/Revell still have not seen fit to do one. Heck I am greedy I want to do both a '69 Boss 302 and Boss 429 street version. Trans Am cars would be next, but you would only need to do the '70 Boss 302 since they had the 5 liter engine limit.

Hey Rex, have you ever held that die-cast '69 Trans Am Mustang to the Monogram '70 Mustang to see how close the wheelbases are? Would be interesting to know in case they are the same so I can start looking for a diecast like you have. Resin body time for a possible street version '69 Boss 302, since Monogram/Revell still have not seen fit to do one. Heck I am greedy I want to do both a '69 Boss 302 and Boss 429 street version. Trans Am cars would be next, but you would only need to do the '70 Boss 302 since they had the 5 liter engine limit.

I will post pics side by side.

Here are pics side by side. The 70 has the interior from the 69 diecast.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

Pony car wars is a good book.....still not lots of underside....but some help. 

One thing you can do is look at the rule book. SCCA Trans Am rules said suspension pick up points had to be in stock location and type of suspension had to be stock type. Good luck...I'd like to see a good Bud Moore model.....we just worked with him on the Model King 61 Pontiac kit. 

Here is a quick build 70 Mustang Trans Am of Warren Tope.....

TOPE70l.JPG

This was justr a shelf model so kept simple......

TOPE70k.JPG

Edited by Dave Van

Rex, thanks for the side by side pics. They are off just a bit more than I expected, but not anything that could not be overcome. Now I really want Monogram/Revell to do a street '69 Boss car to set beside their '70 Boss 302 kit!

Here are pics side by side. The 70 has the interior from the 69 diecast.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

Thanks for all the pics boy. Appreciate it. Where'd you get the diecast from? Is there a specific brand name on it? Thanks

The diecast is made by Crown Premiums and it has a website www.dragspecialties.com on the fron spoiler.  I've see the engine sold separately under another brand.  I assume it is made in China like everything else and was probably sold under many different names.  Search Ebay for 69 Boss in diecast to see what comes up.