Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

This was a factory built Caterham model from Tamiya I bought in 2002 so I could display it next to the Red Super Seven I built and heavily modified/detailed to show the difference between what the kit builds straight from the box and the changes I did. 

I took it apart and I am going to make it Left Hand Drive along with some other upgrades.  I had already begun tinkering with it when I took this picture of it looking like a pile of junk.

Y3Ny2Mx.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

3d patterns?

mass production?

Yes, I'm a patternmaker and last year I switched to SolidWorks from the old school way I have been doing it.  Right now my projects are car bodies that will be injection molded using my 3D designs.

And thanks Chris!  I know you can relate.  After 10+ hours a day in SW it's nice to work with actual parts as opposed to the virtual ones.

Mark, beautiful parts. I'm really curious about the acid treatment for the aluminum parts. Is it something really weak like vinegar or is there a specific, stronger acid that transforms the colors and surface texture? Any safety concerns with fumes, aside from the common sense skin/eye protection? Thanks for any feedback you can offer. 

Mark... Those Rear hubs are looking great. I can totally relate to you when you have been staring and Designing parts at the computer all day, the last thing you sometimes want to do is sit in front of the computer when you get home. So it is nice when you get  relax and work with your hands.

Mark, beautiful parts. I'm really curious about the acid treatment for the aluminum parts. Is it something really weak like vinegar or is there a specific, stronger acid that transforms the colors and surface texture? Any safety concerns with fumes, aside from the common sense skin/eye protection? Thanks for any feedback you can offer. 

No, it is very nasty when used on aluminum.  It cuts brass slowly, about 55 hours to burn through 0.010 sheet.  But on aluminum it boils and smokes and creates enough heat to burn skin in seconds.  Part of the color change is the char left behind.  Parts need to be made larger to compensate for the material that gets burned away too.  The stuff will burn through concrete as well.  Tools and containers need to be plastic.  Common sense is a must to work with this stuff safely.  And thanks!