Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

Even though I measured several times and the dimensions were and are correct, they just didn't look quite right when I installed them into the rims.  A more common issue than many might realize when making things in scale, sometimes things have to be made out of scale to look like they are in scale.  So I made a new slightly smaller set of five.  (I already installed one just to see how it looks…)

SoECuUF.jpg

Nice looking seats for the newer Gulf Seven, and it just shows you what can be done with parts from different kits. I find myself sorting through boxed kits on my top shelf, to see I have something that will fit a current build. Very often I come across the perfect part. Like you, if I can't find one.... I make one.

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's the way to do it Mark... the rubber pad for the scuttle looks just perfect, and so practical to use a piece of vinyl tubing. There are so many simple objects that quite often would be thrown in the bin, and then you realise it could serve as a part for a build like this. Nothing gets wasted. Sometimes a piece of styrene sprue that is sitting in a kit box after a previous build is completed can be made into a new part for some other model. Scratch building when it works is so rewarding.

David

• 1 month later...

You are right on David.  I have a pile of scraps that come in handy all the time.

Scratch-built brass roof, loosely dry fitted together, it doesn't all fit the way it will in the end since some of the panels need to be bolted in place for them to line up properly.  But I like the way it is shaping up…

sosq7br.jpg

Xh7SeLl.jpg

T7i3ZMd.jpg

tatld2j.jpg

Hi Mark..... the detail on this build of yours just blows me away every time. Just when I am thinking you can't go any further into the minute detail..... there you go BOOM !

I shall keep coming back to follow this one.

David

Thank You David!  Means a lot.

I modified the Tamiya anchor pieces by thinning them and filing the slots to accept a scale 2.5 inch wide belt instead of the 2.0 they normally accept.  Top ones are roughed out; bottoms are "factory" sized slots.

B8VTV1Z.jpg

I machined these buckles on my mill.  The kit parts would lose integrity if they were widened to accept the wider belts I plan to use.  They are in primer here ready to be cleaned up.

ybpavIs.jpg

I didn't like the way the polished metal finish looked on the seats after they had been sitting for a while.  They lost some of their luster and were becoming slightly splotchy looking.  So I polished off the aluminum powder finish and Bare Metal Foiled them.

UzrulPg.jpg