Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

Now that's a proper scale model car engine Mark........ there is no finer detail that you could add to that engine, beyond the level you have taken it to.  When I first assembled and painted an engine, I applied a ' dot ' of liquid chrome, and in my mind it was a bolt head or a nut...... but what you do is to use an actual bolt head or a nut, and not just a ' dot '...... Maybe I need to re-think my crude approach to some aspects of my scale model car building !

David

• 4 weeks later...

I made the mounting and detail hardware for the ignition box.  I also made rubber insulators for the four mounting bolts.  The (correctly colored and sized) wires have been added with a grommet where they are connected to the box.  The larger wires connect to the battery and already have the clamps installed to the ends.

KJtZ3oV.jpg

I installed the battery and connected it to the starter solenoid and the ignition box.  There is heat shielding on the positive cable where it snakes past the header.

Also wired the master cylinder.

Y8zl4u2.jpg

Wired the coil into the system and made the little brass hardware for the signal wires.

VUsFUpI.jpg

Thanks John!

I finished the radiator and oil cooler.  I machined some bolts and washers to hold it all together as well as a drain petcock, cap, plug and oil line fittings.

I made a framework that is mounted to the oil cooler brackets to support the stone shield.  It is bound to it with .002 thick wire.  I also made all the decals.

Ry4NPlg.jpg

JubYg8S.jpg

VIBuZDU.jpg

PvbPvhM.jpg

Sorry for the bad shot of the shield frame, didn't notice the wrong setting before I assembled it permanently.

dfoFOdX.jpg

Time to get back to work on the scratch-built brass roof.  I used Faux Fabrix for the texture on the exterior but it wasn't as uniform as I wanted so I sanded it off.  (That's what the red is.) 

I reworked the mount that attaches to the roll bar and had to fine tune the fit of the lower side edges where they meet the body by adding more material.  (Note the little tab that fits into the body above the rear springs.)

PL5L55h.jpg

kiASj18.jpg

Mark..... That has got to be the most detailed and also most impressive engine bay that I have ever seen in a scale model motor car. The radiator and associated parts looks to be exactly what it is...... a perfectly fabricated 1:24 scale replica of a full size radiator and associated parts. Faultless in every detail, and something for us all to aspire to. One day, I might get half way close to your level of building Mark..... and I would be happy with that achievement.

David

Front latches for the securing the roof were milled out of resin and the rear mount for the roll bar was built out of brass then they were "fiber glassed" in before painting.

ZGkkvKU.jpg

I milled the roof lock pins from aluminum.

5fWgS3K.jpg

And I acid cut the lock levers from brass.  They are really small.

mgj17dZ.jpg

Just when I thought you could not go any smaller Mark...... acid cut lock levers from brass...... and here's me hesitating and pondering over how to make two small round hinges for the windshield of my 1933 MG K3 Magnette in white metal. Surely, if you can do it then so can I ( not necessarily ). Seriously though Mark, your work on the roof and the license plate is inspirational to watch in progress.

David

K30081993147159.JPG

Thank you David.  just keep plugging away.  I thought I had peaked back in 2003.  And then in '07 I realized just trying is half the battle.  

I used the piece of brass I cut out of the inner window frame (attached to the inside of the roof) as the template to cut the window from some clear plastic stock.

The second piece of the frame below the window and template will sandwich the window into the roof assembly.

hUNy2Xz.jpg