Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

From the near start of the project I planned to make the spare tire and support section of the frame removable for part-time racing.  The main bolt to hold the wheel to the car frame was fabricated from brass.

ewk5u7C.jpg

The hold-down strap with ratchet buckle is scratch-built.  I also made a "working" connector for the wiring that powers the license light and machined all the mounting hardware. 

yCFOQBc.jpg

nQagOKD.jpg

iNgywVH.jpg

(License plate/frame and wheel are also made from scratch.)  Looks like I better hurry and finish it before the tags expire…

XX21rm3.jpg

qW0EENX.jpg

I just know this is going to be a stupid question on my part..... but Mark, why have your front wings / fenders got holes in them? Had a look through loads of photos of the 1:1 Caterham 7 Gulf cars and all of them have the smaller wings, like motorcycle mudguards. Only the Sprint version has the longer wings like your model has, and .....no holes in sight !!! ( I realise that you have built a race car, but I just don't get those holes? )

David

On 10/03/2019 at 4:20 PM, Scale-Master said:

Thanks Brad!  I think it just needs a couple bolts for the thermostat housing and a radiator cap...

Finished the stone screens and fasteners for them.

dC5ZKhJ.jpg

Maybe this is what I am missing? Stone Screens. ( sorry )

David

The holes are to relieve some of the air pressure that builds up under the fenders at speed.  (Note that the holes are angled for airflow too.)  I've seen quite a few full fendered race (modified) Sevens (not all Caterham's/Lotus's) with vent holes, and from firsthand experience I know these cars with cycle fenders throw gravel into the cockpit.  It only makes sense to try and let only air through.  Stone screens limit the debris, and truck bed-liner coating helps keep the inner fenders from getting chipped up too bad.  While cycle fenders would be my choice on a real one, most in my collection have them too and I wanted something a little different this time.

Edited by Scale-Master

Time to make the ubiquitous (at least in my cars) fire extinguisher.  The bottle was turned on the lathe from aluminum. 

t5UIhgJ.jpg

The bottom has the correct "dimple".

Qsi102T.jpg

The head with gauge and nozzle also turned from the same stuff.

klR1nUP.jpg

The handle pieces were freehand milled and then hand finished before being painted black.

MsxqHbP.jpg

On 26/03/2019 at 3:36 PM, Scale-Master said:

The holes are to relieve some of the air pressure that builds up under the fenders at speed.  (Note that the holes are angled for airflow too.)  I've seen quite a few full fendered race (modified) Sevens (not all Caterham's/Lotus's) with vent holes, and from firsthand experience I know these cars with cycle fenders throw gravel into the cockpit.  It only makes sense to try and let only air through.  Stone screens limit the debris, and truck bed-liner coating helps keep the inner fenders from getting chipped up too bad.  While cycle fenders would be my choice on a real one, most in my collection have them too and I wanted something a little different this time.

Thanks Mark..... your clear explanation makes sense to me.

Like the fire extinguisher also.

David