Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

Mark... I had to get caught up on this awesome build, I have missed a bunch...lol  And Holy smoke are your moving along on this. Amazing work that you have done so far. I know it will only get better. Looking forward to seeing more.

Edited by Mooneyzs

The distributor cap was milled from white resin I dyed gray and poured as a blank.  After milling it was polished so it looks like the raw plastic of a real one.

The boots are made of brass.

YoxSBco.jpg

The base and vacuum advance canister are aluminum.  The bracket is repurposed photo-etch material and the actuating rod is steel.  The cap is just loosely sitting on the base.

g3mgEBN.jpg

Thanks John. 

The front shocks needed to be reworked because the open snap-fit lower eyes didn't look real.  This one came off the factory built car I've disassembled. 

V7rwhoQ.jpg

I had a fresh set of shocks left over from another kit. I cut off those lower eyes and replaced them with brass ones.  Then I cut the pistons off all four top pieces and replaced them with aluminum rod.  The holes that hold the set pins were filled and sanded smooth.  The springs were painted with R/C car body paint to flex and I made Koni decals.  The snubbers were made from silicone and BMF was used for the spring tensioners.  (The rears will be compressed when they are installed.)

Ha0zvNM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  The fiberglass material is fabric softener sheets on this one.

The aluminum body side panels have to be installed very early on in the construction of the car.  The ones from the factory built car were somewhat bent and dented so they have been straightened out.

Primed in white and a base coat of TS-26 Gloss White applied where the Gulf logos will go.

D6RTpvx.jpg

The blue and white areas were masked off and the TS-12 Orange was applied.

TGRPBY7.jpg

Then the orange was masked and TS-23 Light Blue was applied.

uo2Zl1U.jpg

And all the masking was removed…

zBwN9Kf.jpg

I didn't like the way the logo came out so I remasked and reshot the orange.

nl48oCX.jpg

That's better…

qhZsNN9.jpg

Next up the blue and black decals I made for it were applied.

ibYF4Lp.jpg

And then sealed with a clear coat.

WYCCwn2.jpg

Mark... Stunning work my friend. I absolutely love the Gulf Colors on this. Thank you for sharing what you used for the Fiberglass materials. I want to do the same thing on my StageCoach Wheel Stander and was thinking of fabric softener sheets every time I do my laundry...LOL . I had my dad send me some real light weight fiberglass material he had but I know that wouldn't give the Chopped Matt look. Now my next question for you when you applied it did you use fiberglass resin or a thinned out white glue?? One of my favorite details on your engine so far is oddly enough the oil filter. I love that you added the black grip on it and it looks just like the real deal with the decals. Killer work!!!

Thanks Chris!  White glue works, but I found Canopy Glue works better, and yes it is thinned out with water.  Resin is messy, too thick and just a pain to work with in this case.  It also obscures some of the pattern, which if you want to do is easily accomplished with primer or paint.