Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

Thanks guys!

Borrowing styling cues from the Lotus S4 and SS TwinCam rear fenders I modified the somewhat boring stock ones to hide the blocky tail light set up to a degree. 

I filled in the holes for the back-up lights first.

Spwnmnb.jpg

Then I built boxes around the mounting area of each light and added more sheet styrene to make the fairings.

nTslPJe.jpg

A little rough sanding to shape…

1LB39gp.jpg

Primed and ready for paint.

UcS08hM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brian!

The hood and rear panel were painted in similar fashion as the other two-tone pieces; primed in white then masked and the first color applied.  In this case the blue went down first.

1HpTxMW.jpg

Then the orange was applied after masking the blue off. 

tt76798.jpg

When I did the sides I found it yielded better results to do the white after the blue and orange so I did it that way on these pieces too.  Here is the rear with the decals for the blue and black applied on top of the paint.

bKDQM5z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The rear fenders were painted the basic same way as well…  Blue and orange.

BTJv4VY.jpg

The white was applied followed by the dark blue decals, then clear coated.

ygvkkPw.jpg

Clear has been shot on the rear panel and is ready for final buffing.

QEITOfU.jpg

Same process for the hood and cowl except due to the louvers on the hood being so close to the Gulf logo a light intra-clear was applied that will be sanded out to make the logo smooth under the clear before the final clear is applied.

mijFhDg.jpg

Once again, an outstanding build that I'm really enjoying following. I like to think I've understood your explanations and techniques throughout the build but the following sentence has me completely baffled. For the life of me, I just can't figure out what this "intra-clear" is, where it goes sequence wise and what it serves to accomplish. Can you help a guy out and maybe rephrase it so a mere mortal might understand? 

Thanks! 

Mike 

Same process for the hood and cowl except due to the louvers on the hood being so close to the Gulf logo a light intra-clear was applied that will be sanded out to make the logo smooth under the clear before the final clear is applied.

Mark- Good to see you last night!  It has been a while since we were both at a club meeting. 

Don't know how I missed this one!   I loved seeing your work on this and the other models you brought.  Having gone through this post, I see a lot that I overlooked when I was looking at the real thing.  This is a worthy addition to your other Caterhams. 

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Mark- Good to see you last night!  It has been a while since we were both at a club meeting. 

Don't know how I missed this one!   I loved seeing your work on this and the other models you brought.  Having gone through this post, I see a lot that I overlooked when I was looking at the real thing.  This is a worthy addition to your other Caterhams. 

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Yes, great to see you too last night Pete.  Thanks for making the trek.

Once again, an outstanding build that I'm really enjoying following. I like to think I've understood your explanations and techniques throughout the build but the following sentence has me completely baffled. For the life of me, I just can't figure out what this "intra-clear" is, where it goes sequence wise and what it serves to accomplish. Can you help a guy out and maybe rephrase it so a mere mortal might understand? 

Thanks! 

Mike 

Basically it is a sealer layer of clear.  I used the same clear as for the finish and cut it with extra reducer and applied it relatively thin.  Also in most cases I don't worry about the level of shine since it will be sanded and cleared later. 

It is a very useful technique when painting multiple layers of colors for graphics; sort of way to save (protect) your work as you go.

Mark, I appreciate the time you took to explain your clearing process. I think I understand it now and it has to do with the different heights (or layer thicknesses) since some coats are side by side, so to speak, and others are stacked one on top of the other. You therefore end up with an uneven surface which this intra-clear attempts to bring to one even level, by way of paint coats and sanding. 

Way beyond my pay grade but it's nice to learn about these details as you never know when they might come in useful. 

Thanks again, 

Mike 

• 3 weeks later...

After shooting the final clear on the hood I was quite pleased with the outcome, at first... The graphics came out fine which were my primary focus, but secondarily were the louvers.  I did not like the little fillets of clear on the louvers that I expected to pull in as it dried.  So I stripped it in the solvent tank and with the paint the filler came off. 

Q4xuu6s.jpg

I redid the body work like the first time, but then thought it needed something more…

I formed and fitted a fairing to the carb opening in the hood out of sheet aluminum. 

9e3amdM.jpg

zmxvcT1.jpg

cd4kNsq.jpg

I masked off the white and shot the blue.   

b3vSmjF.jpg

Then masked the blue too and shot the orange.  Ready for decals…

BViFcNq.jpg

The decals have been applied.  I added some new Caterham lettering I drew and printed for it too.

Still needs to be sanded to fully smooth out the Gulf logo, but I like the louvers better than the last try.  Plus it has the new fairing.

xy8b097.jpg

Clear has been cut and buffed…  I am satisfied.

YNdxVnu.jpg

sWufwW7.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

• 4 weeks later...

The rear fenders are done as far as paint and graphics.  I still need to add stone guards to the front, after I decide what material/color I want them to be. 

The taillight housings were drilled out to accept clear bulbs I made for them, (they are just loosely set in place).  I used foil for the reflector panels.

YaaJNeC.jpg

BUTqaQL.jpg