Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Mercury Cyclone

59-Desoto

Just finished it today , use a partial original  MPC  kit as a starting point, bashed a 1970 Torino GT for some extras. Always wanted to do one of these in grabber blue and makes me wanna do a couple more now. It was raining today wanted some outside shots but it isn't happening

DSCF7748.JPG

DSCF7747.JPG

DSCF7753.JPG

DSCF7756.JPG

DSCF7730.JPG

19800717_10211851715401171_998951272045630690_o.jpg

Edited by 59-Desoto

Nice, love the color, start with the Nascar Merc?

No , started with a partial original MPC Cyclone spoiler that had been built but never painted, it was missing several parts but was able to locate everything. The front bumper and front seats are resin cast by Kevin Lutz / Missing Link . Also used his resin dash with the sport package gauges 

DSCF7738.JPG

Edited by 59-Desoto

Simply love this build!  One of the best of this vintage kit that I have ever seen, and I pay alot of attention to '70 Mercury Cyclones!  Boy, if only they could find the molds for this kit and fill 'em up with molten styrene again!

Kevin Lutz at Missing Link does a very nice resin cast and the decal can be had from Keith Marks 

Just finished it today , use a partial original  MPC  kit as a starting point, bashed a 1970 Torino GT for some extras. Always wanted to do one of these in grabber blue and makes me wanna do a couple more now. It was raining today wanted some outside shots but it isn't happening

DSCF7748.JPG

Outstanding build!  We really need a current factory stock 70-71 Cyclone in plastic again. Revell already has it halfway done with the Torino drivetrain and chassis.  Really wish they'd get on the stick and make it happen.

Totally off topic, diggin' the vintage gold flake Formica!  Reminds me of the original 1966 vintage counters that were in my kitchen when I first bought my house.  My wife didn't seem to appreciate it as much as I did...

Simply love this build!  One of the best of this vintage kit that I have ever seen, and I pay alot of attention to '70 Mercury Cyclones!  Boy, if only they could find the molds for this kit and fill 'em up with molten styrene again!

No mystery what happened to it - body got converted into a NASCAR racer.  Recently reissued by Round 2 as the Donnie Allison car.  Wouldn't hold my breathe ever expecting them to return it to factory stock.

Edited by Robberbaron

Excellent work and a very cool color !  Using parts from the Torino GT is definitely the way to build one of these .

Yes, had to remove a small area from the center of the chassis vs just moving the rear springs forward , did a good bit of modifying to make it all come together. Used the aprons chassis and power train among many smaller parts. It added a little more to the car over all and made it a bit better than the original ......... Thanks to everyone for all you kind words