Model Cars Magazine Forum

Large kit/promo collection going up for auction - low opening bids

While looking at expensive-as-usual late '60s Falcons on eBay, I discovered this live auction coming up:

http://www.ebay.com/clt/collectibles-live-events/incredible-vintage-promo-car-and-model-kit-collection-607879

Plenty of good stuff here; and the opening bids are only $5.00. The collection is in Fowler, Indiana - anyone know who the collector is/was?

The photos alone are worth checking out, although the descriptions use that annoying word "minty" so many times you want to leave a wad of Wrigley's Doublemint on the writer's keyboard. Happy bidding!

When I clicked on one of the auctions on my phone, it mentioned that this is a "live auction". I take that to mean that you have to be there in person, or eBay's letting folks bid in real time for a period of time? 

Yeah, those are some real gems I see there, but I need more models like a hole in the head right now! I've got enough models now (like many others) that for sure will outlive me as far as ever getting built! :D

Some of those unbuilt (sealed) kits I see are going to go for an absolutely outrageous sum of coin!

I got my "other model car mag" yesterday and they had a full page ad in there about this auction. I am sure that there are some models that I would love to have but at the prices that they will go for they are out of my range!

Sure hope some people buy them and build them though!

While looking at expensive-as-usual late '60s Falcons on eBay, I discovered this live auction coming up:

http://www.ebay.com/clt/collectibles-live-events/incredible-vintage-promo-car-and-model-kit-collection-607879

Plenty of good stuff here; and the opening bids are only $5.00. The collection is in Fowler, Indiana - anyone know who the collector is/was?

The photos alone are worth checking out, although the descriptions use that annoying word "minty" so many times you want to leave a wad of Wrigley's Doublemint on the writer's keyboard. Happy bidding!

Hmmm, and Fowler IN is only about 30 miles or so northwest of me!

Art

My Father in law, Don Schultz, used to own the bowling alley there.  Don't know who owns the collection but looks to be quite large.  If you happen to go, stop at the PIZZA KING in Otterbein and get some great pizza.  I miss that.

Edited by Greg Wann

Some nice stuff, but the opening bid doesn't really mean a thing, its that last bid at 10 minutes before the end that sends it off into oblivion! I've followed trucks on govdeals.com that stay at 1000 dollars for days, then jump to 15,0000 just  a few minutes before closing. Might be fun to watch though

Some nice stuff, but the opening bid doesn't really mean a thing, its that last bid at 10 minutes before the end that sends it off into oblivion! I've followed trucks on govdeals.com that stay at 1000 dollars for days, then jump to 15,0000 just  a few minutes before closing. Might be fun to watch though

You ain't kiddin!

I was watching a 1/8 scale '79 Trans Am kit on eBay and for days it stayed at $76.00. I thought about bidding on it, and figured the price would easily end up in the $200+ range. The last day of the auction, the price shot up to $355-----with the $81 shipping, I said no way! The auction ended after I went to bed, and when I got up in the morning to check it, the ending price was well over $400!! :o :o

So they could literally start those auctions at 1¢ and they could still end up at a price that's in the stratosphere!

According to eBay's Help info, you can bid on these lots, on eBay in real time, or you can pre-submit a max bid which will be automatically bid for you in the same manner as a regular eBay online auction. My understanding is that they do not reveal pre-bids until that lot's auction begins.

The 18% buyer fee doesn't bother me as much as the $8/hour packing fee plus charges for shipping and materials. You can calculate the 18% and factor it into your bid but shipping could be anything.

I got myself approved as a bidder for both days, the approval took about a day. Don't know if I'll bid or not.

OK, I read on eBay how those live auctions work............must be something relatively new as I've not seen that before.

I'm gonna tune in just to see how this goes! :D 

Well, at least couple of years old.  I participated in one of those live auctions (remotely through eBay) few years ago and won an item I was interested in. The entire experience is a bit awkward, but it worked for me.  You actually get to see a live video and audio of the auction venue while you bid.  But like others said, there is a buyer-s premium and you will have to arrange the shipping from the auction house (they usually have a contract with a shipper, so that part is fairly smooth, but I still had to make few phone calls).  If it wasn't for the item I was really interested in, I would not have bothered using the live auction.

I noticed that the starting time since says 7:00 a.m. I assume that is the time for my location, not the Eastern time zone.

The auction info says that it starts 7AM GMT, that's "Greenwich Mean Time," or "Universal Time (UT)." That's the time in Greenwich, England. The time the auction starts for EDT appears to be 10AM as listed right under the item's title.

Thanks, must be coincidence that the 10:00 a.m starting time just happens to be 7:00 a.m. Pacific time where I'm at. I noticed the time thing after I'd already posted, and also got the answer that the 7 a.m. time was for my time zone when EBay answered my application for a bidders pass.

I had put early bids in on a few as I was going to be at work when it was going on today. Got home and checked and of course lost them all but....... One of the auctions said I lost even though my bid was considerably higher than the supposed winning bid. What gives. I have emailed them to ask for an explanation.

Edited by Xingu

I had put early bids in on a few as I was going to be at work when it was going on today. Got home and checked and of course lost them all but....... One of the auctions said I lost even thought my bid was considerably higher than the supposed winning bid. What gives. I have emailed them to ask for an explanation.

Please let us know what happened!

I was able to watch live for the items I was interested in. All of them went for far more than I was willing to pay.

Guess I won't bother with Sunday.