Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 ford galpin gasser

mike s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful build.

I was born in Van Nuys, CA. Then moved to San Fernando in '56. Galpin Ford was born in San Fernando. Then in 66 moved to Van Nuys. Kinda crossed paths. For years I bought most all of my parts for my Fords from Galpin's parts department. World's largest Ford dealer for decades and still are. Also Number 1 Jag, Saturn, Mazda, and most everything else they decide to sell.

As for the designation of A/GS...can't blame the model builder for putting the markings on the model just as they are on the full scale car he's building a model of. But as  guy who grew up around car racing and has spent many years making a living restoring vintage race cars and hot rods and building cars that weren't racers before into "vintage racers", I've come to the conclusion that in the world of vintage racing, there is a huge amount of what I call "creative memory". Lots of people involved who weren't there when that sort of racer was actually "racing", but have the money to pay for getting involved in it now. So such inaccuracies happen ALL THE TIME. Lots of vintage racers are built these days not for actual racing, but for magazines, internet articles, car shows, etc. If it actually got raced, it would have to have the correct markings. But as a show car, they get away with such inaccuracies. Ron was right "A/GS" DOES stand for "A/Gas Supercharged" The appropriate designation would have been A/G, or more probably D/G, as that big sedan is an awfully heavy car compared to a little bitty Anglia or some of the other cars that ran in A/G in the day. Most '55 Chevies, 57 Fords and such raced in the day in B, C or D/G with big block engines. The classes were broken down according to weight in pounds per cubic inch of engine.

• 4 weeks later...

Great looking model. I'd be happy to have that on my own shelf. Very nice.

But...as El Caballo mentioned, the exhaust port spacing on your headers is Y-block Ford. The later smallblocks, that use the valve covers you have, have evenly spaced exhaust ports.

Still, a very attractive, clean and well-executed build.  

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Great model! Excellent work!   I live close to Galpin Ford, here in the San Fernando Valley. They have been doing custom and restorative work for years at their GAS, ( Galpin Auto Sports ) business across the street from the dealership proper. As an engine builder, personally, were I them, and had access to what they have, I'd have built a 427 wedge or SOHC for that showcar, just for the extra pizazz and "oh-wow" factor!

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2017 at 10:09 AM, mike s said:

The 57 is built to replicate the one that was in a  magazine. This is my representation of the car. The paint is testors pure gold lacquer. I designed and printed the decals at home.  The diamond tuck interior is scratch built using a 3D printer and painted pearl white, other parts include a moon tack machine out of aluminum, the instrument panel is custom made.  The engine was scratch built using various parts from other kits, the valve covers and velocity stacks are all 3D printed.  The radiator is modified and painted to simulate a new unpainted radiator.  There are many details to this car, the entire front front suspension was scratch built.  A lot of the chrome is painted not plated.  All the brake lines are ran and all the wiring is just how it should be, even the wheels are bolted to 3D printed break drums.  My goal is always to try to make all the parts I needed.

20170318_005656.jpg

20170402_232025.jpg

20170402_231521.jpg

20170402_141244.jpg

20170708_083653.jpg

20170708_083704.jpg

20170708_083725.jpg

20170708_083803.jpg

20170708_083912.jpg

20170708_083720.jpg

20170708_083749.jpg

GREAT JOB VERY DETAILED