Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Cuda T/A

afx

Thanks Roger.  I scratch built the fuel cell from .015" flat stock.  

• Cut strips for the sides and glued them in place
  • Added some bits of plastic rod on the inside to reinforce the corners
  • Glued some angle or whatever I had lying around along the top edge to give a larger bonding surface and some reinforcement
  • Cut the bottom from sheet stock then folded it over the edge or a ruler to create the ribbing 
Edited by afx

Rules of the day required the battery to be installed within the same compartment as it came from the factory. You could alter the position within the compartment but could not relocate it to another (from the engine bay to the trunk for instance). AAR chose to lower the battery location as much as possible, note the location in the lower right hand corner.

DSCN4804

Some cutting, grinding and a few choice words finally got the battery, radiator and engine to coexist in this lowered position. 

DSCN4802

That spot makes for a very tight package, they must have placed some weight somewhere else on the car to compensate for those 25 Kgs sitting on the LHF. The X-bracing added to the under body looks like it was molded there, good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that the mods to make this are mostly scratchbuilt, and you execute it so well. Other then the old AAR parts(and Mustang air cleaner), and the addition of the beautiful Fireball Minilite wheels, there doesn't seem to be much outside sourcing. I'm not going to lie, I plan to use your build as a blueprint for my own down the road(as I'm sure others are as well). Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.