Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 4 Quarter 2017

Mr mopar

1 hour ago, 57peppershaker said:

Odd way to mount the hardtop /roof ?

This kit is what remains of the Monogram '34 Ford, which, like the '30 Ford Coupe, had a separate roof section so they could get both Coupe and a second Convertible/Roadster/Cabriolet version out of it without committing to separate body shells. As Dave mentioned above, not that accurate to the real Eliminator, but good enough for most people as it sits on the shelf.

Looks like they restored it to the "original" Eliminator, going as far as undoing the chassis updates from the Thom Taylor Cabriolet (which, left in, would have made the Eliminator a bit more accurate).

Consider it a passable curbside kit as-is...incorrect Pontiac engine and early Ford driveline.

8 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

Odd way to mount the hardtop /roof ?

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

probably has something to do with accurately replicating the greenhouse (shape of window surrounds front, back and sides.

Amt designed the same way with their '36 Ford.

Anyway, I'm picking up a copy, for nostalgia reasons, grew up with MTV (back when they showed Music videos, with only one exception, the quiz "Remote control"), some video's (beside those of ZZ Top featuring their Rod) of songs which are seared in my brain are, Big Log from Robert Plant, Broken Wings by Mr. Mister, Don Henley Boys of summer, and many many more....

6 hours ago, Casey said:

This kit is what remains of the Monogram '34 Ford, which, like the '30 Ford Coupe, had a separate roof section so they could get both Coupe and a second Convertible/Roadster/Cabriolet version out of it without committing to separate body shells. As Dave mentioned above, not that accurate to the real Eliminator, but good enough for most people as it sits on the shelf.

The top mounting is just as Casey said, it could be done as different body versions. The bodies of both of these kits are the same. 

HPIM1747.thumb.JPG.84af7324b76752bfc834f6bf02ae70fd.JPG

Even though the top body pieces are glued in place in this pic, you can see on the inner part of the drivers door where the top of the door attaches to the body for the Cabrio version. 

HPIM1904.thumb.JPG.973d313ce820eae4e6bb76d0e0b9ef13.JPG

21 hours ago, Dave Van said:

How cool it'd been if they restored the kit back to the 6 in 1 version of the early 1960's.....yes I am dreaming.....

Monogram%20PC72-198%201934%20Ford.JPG

This too, above, is what I'd rather have that the ZZ Top or the Thom Taylor versions. I like having the choice to build it the way I want to. And a lot of times I want to build it stock. Revell/Monogram would sell me a lot more kits if they offered me options like the old AMT 3-in-1 kits. Heck, there are times I want to build all three versions. And guess what? Sometimes I have. Requiring at least three copies of one kit. 

I was really hoping that the new ZZ Top release would feature the updated chassis from the Thom Taylor cabriolet kit. While it's still inaccurate it's way more passable at a glance because of the dropped tube front axle with 4-link, 9 inch rear axle with coilovers and disc brakes. I was also hoping it would be molded in white. 

The real car uses a modified original '34 frame that was built by the original Pete Chapouris & Jim "Jake" Jacobs of Pete & Jake's when they were in their Temple City, California shop. The rolling chassis was then sent to Don Thelen's shop in Paramount, California, Buffalo Motor Cars, where it was completed. 

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

rs-135319-1add1ad19471847ff44605dce8bed1

Yea, couldn't miss that. Still have the original Eliminator cassette I bought in '83 and it still plays excellently.  [as does my copies of Afterburner and Recycler, completing the trilogy] 

Muchmusic here in Canada though, not MTV.