Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 4 Quarter 2017

Mr mopar

Well, I, for one am really excited about the re-release of the Daytona, as they are getting rarer and more expensive, and were already out of production when I got back into the hobby.  The only winged car available when I last built kits was the old Monogram Superbird, and this is a far better kit and my preference for subject.

However, from here I would like to see some new stuff.  Complete new tool kits are exciting, but just as the Daytona could become a 500 with minimal new parts, they could really up their muscle car game adjusting some of the excellent stuff they have, just like the upcoming 85 442.  

A few thoughts:

67 Camaro convertible  (use the rally wheels from the 67 Chevelle kit)

70 AAR 'Cuda (supposedly coming, but shouldn't take this long)

70-71 Challenger R/T (already have a good 440, just body parts to mold)

67 Foose Coronet can be updated to a 68, with lots of 68 Charger parts

72 442 coupe (preferably non-fastback)

68 or 69 Mustang notchback (kit of each, take your pick)

And my ultimate Revell muscle car fantasy:  utilize some of the Cuda and 68 - 70 Charger tooling to develop a new, full detail 71 Road Runner/GTX

The other thing I've been waiting on SOMEONE to do (Revell, Tamiya, Fujimi) a GOOD, 1/24 scale full detail kit of a Jaguar XK-E (why is that so impossible??) and a BMW 3.0 CS.  Tell me those wouldn't sell!!

Well, I, for one am really excited about the re-release of the Daytona, as they are getting rarer and more expensive, and were already out of production when I got back into the hobby.  The only winged car available when I last built kits was the old Monogram Superbird, and this is a far better kit and my preference for subject.

However, from here I would like to see some new stuff.  Complete new tool kits are exciting, but just as the Daytona could become a 500 with minimal new parts, they could really up their muscle car game adjusting some of the excellent stuff they have, just like the upcoming 85 442.  

A few thoughts:

67 Camaro convertible  (use the rally wheels from the 67 Chevelle kit)

70 AAR 'Cuda (supposedly coming, but shouldn't take this long)

70-71 Challenger R/T (already have a good 440, just body parts to mold)

67 Foose Coronet can be updated to a 68, with lots of 68 Charger parts

72 442 coupe (preferably non-fastback)

68 or 69 Mustang notchback (kit of each, take your pick)

And my ultimate Revell muscle car fantasy:  utilize some of the Cuda and 68 - 70 Charger tooling to develop a new, full detail 71 Road Runner/GTX

The other thing I've been waiting on SOMEONE to do (Revell, Tamiya, Fujimi) a GOOD, 1/24 scale full detail kit of a Jaguar XK-E (why is that so impossible??) and a BMW 3.0 CS.  Tell me those wouldn't sell!!

They wouldn't sell

You asked! LOL! 

Definitely a better jag would be nice, but sadly there are too many old version of it because they where kitted when the car was more relevant. As for the Beemer, that is up in the air. The biggest audience would definitely be outside the U.S. 

I am still holding out for the Boat Tail Riviera. After all, two of my wish list kits got done, the Bronco and the '56 F-100!

Any chance of getting aftermarket grilles for the Honcho? I'd like to backdate one to the late seventies style appearance. I just don't care for that 1980 grille.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7145/6549665017_14797ee02f_z.jpg

RMR makes different resin grilles along with a Wagoneer body for these. 

I am still holding out for the Boat Tail Riviera. After all, two of my wish list kits got done, the Bronco and the '56 F-100!

I'm hoping for that Boat Tail Riviera too! That's one IMO that's begging to be done as a 2'n'1, particularly if there's lowrider setup like they did with the '60 Chevy. That is one of those cars requested a number of times on Revell's "Wish List" from the NNL East that I posted a while back. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

I'm hoping for that Boat Tail Riviera too! That's one IMO that's begging to be done as a 2'n'1, particularly if there's lowrider setup like they did with the '60 Chevy. That is one of those cars requested a number of times on Revell's "Wish List" from the NNL East that I posted a while back. ;)

God, man you guys are speaking my language with the Riviera... I'll even take it from AMT Ertl at this point, it might be bit less on the awesome side but it'll still be in our hands atleast. The amount of times I go "Oh man maybe this time" when I see a quarterly release list and get disappointed is getting too high. Though I suppose everyone's got a model wish going like that these days.

Anyway, I'm seriously happy that there's gonna be a '85 Olds, though as one or two mentioned before, if this is the FE3-X/gold striped 442 version that was discussed around a few years back - Good grief I'mma be jumpin' for joy. And the '69 Charger Daytona's finally getting the Pro-Modeler revamp with the NASCAR as well as the stock option in one box? The previous releases since '99 had it either stock with the 440 or the NASCAR with the 426.

I don't recall that the snowplow was ever in a Revell kit. The only kits I have seen with a snowplow were the old MPC Jeep kits from 1969/70. 

I'm thinking that maybe someone got their wires crossed with the Jeep kit calling it Ice Patrol. Who knows, maybe we will get a kit with a snowplow and a snowmobile!

85-7222-lg.jpg

And the '69 Charger Daytona's finally getting the Pro-Modeler revamp with the NASCAR as well as the stock option in one box? The previous releases since '99 had it either stock with the 440 or the NASCAR with the 426.

I'm hoping that Revell at least gives the option for the street Hemi this time around.

When I built mine (the original release) I had to rob parts out of my '67 Plymouth GTX kit to get the correct air cleaner, and intake/exhaust manifolds. We'll soon see........that is one of Revell's best kits and it builds up pretty much with no fuss.

How is the Daytona a 2n1? Stock car or drag car parts? I don't recall any of the previous releases being anything other then stock.

The original Pro Modeler one had stock car decals IIRC, so I assume that is what this...

Edited by Rob Hall

RMR makes different resin grilles along with a Wagoneer body for these. 

Any pictures? Nothing on the website that I can find except the Wagoneer body. I picked up two of these kits at reasonable prices so of course it's being reissued....

As far as our younger generation goes, there are not a lot of cars on the road that would make good modeling subjects and make a profit for modeling companies to produce.

I believe there actually are plenty of modern vehicles that would be great in kit form. We need more trucks for one, and Meng brought a great first kit to the table (granted it was of a 5-year old subject, but the most modern sold to date), however the cost is steep so it may not have sold that well. Other good subjects are the current hot hatches, some of the SUVs (Wrangler JK/JL anyone?), any the full-size vans (Sprinter, Transit, Express/Savanna), and of course some of the recent luxury offerings. They just need to use vehicles that have the potential to be released a few times with different parts and decals.

I believe there actually are plenty of modern vehicles that would be great in kit form. We need more trucks for one, and Meng brought a great first kit to the table (granted it was of a 5-year old subject, but the most modern sold to date), however the cost is steep so it may not have sold that well. Other good subjects are the current hot hatches, some of the SUVs (Wrangler JK/JL anyone?), any the full-size vans (Sprinter, Transit, Express/Savanna), and of course some of the recent luxury offerings. They just need to use vehicles that have the potential to be released a few times with different parts and decals.

The could do what the Asian kit makers do, release newer cars, but, in curbside form. Because honestly, who wants to really build a Prius engine? Motor? Hamster?

There are a ton of modern subjects that would be very appealing in 1/25th or 1/24th.  The problem is the US kit companies are playing to their core audience--the older crowd that is stuck on tri-five Chevys, 32 Fords, 60s muscle cars, etc...nostalgia sells. :(

As far as our younger generation goes, there are not a lot of cars on the road that would make good modeling subjects and make a profit for modeling companies to produce.

Per your opinion, and one I do not share, and disagree, there are plenty of new cars on the roads that I would build models of, just because you may not like new cars, does not mean everyone else doesnst like them too , you would shocked, there is a strong demand for newer subjects.

Edited by martinfan5

There are a ton of modern subjects that would be very appealing in 1/25th or 1/24th.  The problem is the US kit companies are playing to their core audience--the older crowd that is stuck on tri-five Chevys, 32 Fords, 60s muscle cars, etc...nostalgia sells. :(

Yeah... It's the unfortunate truth for some of us, ain't it. I mean, more power to 'em for playing to what sells and even though I really don't care for the pre-1960s models, they do seem to make some super fancy kits. Just wish they'd go out their comfort zone some more often and take more gambles again, like the '83 Hurst/Olds and whatnot.

You're right Rob! As someone who does like the vintage cars such as the tri-five Chevy's and whatnot-----I do like a lot of the modern cars that are out there too. For instance, I'd love to see a new Charger. Since the current one was restyled for 2011, and then mildly redone for '15, we have yet to see any kits of the cars, despite there could be plenty of police options for them.

ANY new Cadillac would be nice-------from the ATS to the Escalade. A new full detailed Mustang. There's a front end restyle coming for '18, so it would be nice to FINALLY get a full detail kit of this car and not just a very basic snapper.

This may sound weird, but I like the new for '18 Chevy Traverse that's hitting the roads now. Of course, it's no tire screecher, but its style is unique for a CUV, and it definitely should be a good seller for Chevy.

I could go on, but those are just a few..........

Edited by MrObsessive

I like the older subjects, have hundreds of kits of older subjects, but I like new cars and modern subjects also...it's absurd you can't get a full detail pickup truck or SUV of a subject made in this century, for example... I'd love to have a model of my Jeep, but the only Grand Cherokee kit is of the first generation from 25 years ago.   Revell should update the Challenger to 2015+ spec and do Hellcat and Demon versions.  A full detail '15+ Mustang and Shelby Mustang would be great to see.   At least Round 2 is doing modern Camaros...would like to see more, though...a lot more. 

Edit--there is one modern truck or SUV kit--forgot about the Meng Super Duty..which is a great kit. 

Edited by Rob Hall

I like the older subjects, have hundreds of kits of older subjects, but I like new cars and modern subjects also...it's absurd you can't get a full detail pickup truck or SUV of a subject made in this century, for example... I'd love to have a model of my Jeep, but the only Grand Cherokee kit is of the first generation from 25 years ago.   Revell should update the Challenger to 2015+ spec and do Hellcat and Demon versions.  A full detail '15+ Mustang and Shelby Mustang would be great to see.   At least Round 2 is doing modern Camaros...would like to see more, though...a lot more. 

Edit--there is one modern truck or SUV kit--forgot about the Meng Super Duty..which is a great kit. 

With the way the challenger is tooled up, I think all the really need to update is the front/rear bumpers/head/taillights and of course wheels, so I am just guessing here, but that should cost a lot less than doing brand new tool.

With the way the challenger is tooled up, I think all the really need to update is the front/rear bumpers/head/taillights and of course wheels, so I am just guessing here, but that should cost a lot less than doing brand new tool.

And the hood, grille and interior...the dash, door panels, etc were changed for '15..