Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad candy colours warning

Hi all for those of you who use these colours DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT
Here is my Traction Avant after very little time in the sun, it went from this.
ilk8ox.jpg
2ikzg2d.jpg
To this
21j6ums.jpg
2s0jz0p.jpg
And it's not confined to candy orange this is how the red looks after the same period in the sun
24crxw0.jpg

Apparently it happens on candy colours on full size cars as well I've been informed someone had a candy paint scheme on their car and after a few months it faded on one side which was the side in the sun in the car port.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the heads up. I just bought some of the candy colors from Alclad ,specifically the violet,yellow and orange. They seemed like a good choice for doing a lowrider candy paint job. Any info bad or good will be useful when I attempt the project. Do you think a different basecoat or top coat would help protect it from the UV light? Which is the reason for the faded paints. Or what ever is causing it to happen. Thanks again and sorry to hear about your paint job fade. 

. Do you think a different...top coat would help protect it from the UV light? Which is the reason for the faded paints. 

Most clears manufactured for REAL cars have UV-inhibitors built in, for just this reason. Model paints may or may not, and probably not.

I can NOT state for certain, but I'd suspect the Duplicolor rattlecan clears, available at many real car parts stores, have UV inhibitors.

Unfortunately, even a UV-inhibited clear will not stop fading entirely if the color pigments are particularly sensitive.

Thank you for the heads up. I just bought some of the candy colors from Alclad ,specifically the violet,yellow and orange. They seemed like a good choice for doing a lowrider candy paint job. Any info bad or good will be useful when I attempt the project. Do you think a different basecoat or top coat would help protect it from the UV light? Which is the reason for the faded paints. Or what ever is causing it to happen. Thanks again and sorry to hear about your paint job fade. 

No, it is the nature of Candy paint, i had Spray Chief Candy Purple over a burgundy  pearl base on my car, the sunny side dropped about 6 shades of depth after about a year,

and when i took the hood scoop off after a few years, it was a massive difference. It was clear coated with the good stuff too..

Said car in question".

009.JPG

Edited by DeeCee