Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honda N360 (NI) / Hasegawa / 1:24

Mr.Zombie

I make the peeling paint after a method invented by Mr. Satoshi Araki. It's basically carefully cutting into the plastic under a very shallow angle. The best thing about that method is that it's relativley clean (not much mess on the table), and that it's absolutley not random. One is always in controll of the effect that is to be achieved, whereas by using salt or hairspray it's always kind of a gamble what one can achieve. The method makes it possible to make rust, scars and whatnot exactly where and how one wants it, even resembling real damage from pictures can be done.

35572482012_339d9051ec_b.jpg

35572482352_e86a543662_b.jpg

The rusty areas are then treated with a round mill to get some structure, and primered with Motip primer form a rattle can. Then I paint the whole body with a semi gloss, also from a spray can...

35756613405_3e0a926aaf_b.jpg

After it dries, I sand it down with 2000 grid paper for a dull finish, and build up a bit of shine again by polishing horizontal surfaces with a cotton stick dipped in car polish, if one does it carefully enough, a smooth transition from a shine to flat can be achieved. After that I paint on the rust. The only paints I use are Black, Trans Orange and Hull Red by TAMIYA diluted with their thinner. The streaks are build up carefully in many layers of trans orange thinned quite a bit...

35368767950_a4d5e7f389_b.jpg

Then follow shadows, some washes with thinned mix of the three colors, all mixed and painted by eye.

35066711663_bb288c58b3_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...