• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

eBay Scammer Afoot!

36 posts in this topic

Posted

That the seller is in China and that their feedback number is zero are red flags that it's fake...

Posted (edited)

"Based in China, fnyb25434_6 has been an eBay member since Jul 01, 2017."  Zero transactions. And more red flags than a Chinese May Day parade.

I did a quick search to see if I could find his posted photo anywhere else on the internet.  I didn't. But a little more digging might find it, probably on somebody else's old eBay listing. 

ON EDIT:  I have an eBay sale ending today.  Two bidders so far have zero feedback.  One is high bidder on a 1/18 diecast car with 12 bids on it and a pretty high price.  He just joined eBay on June 11, 2017.  I know we all have to start somewhere and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But I'm sure hoping this isn't a case of "borrowed Mom's credit card."  Or worse, a scammer.

Edited by Mike999
Omission

Posted

He is at it again

Reported. Is anyone else reporting these?

Posted

Reported. Is anyone else reporting these?

How does one go about reporting something as such to ebay?

Posted

How does one go about reporting something as such to ebay?

Click on "Report item" and follow the prompts:

report-01.thumb.jpg.115fda9fc811b1b447b0

Posted

Click on "Report item" and follow the prompts:

report-01.thumb.jpg.115fda9fc811b1b447b0

Thank you! I'll use that in the future, should I see any underhanded items.

Posted

And gone. Good spotting!

Posted (edited)

Seems people are getting a bit too carried away, as someone said on here, as a buyer you really can't lose out other than being without the funds for a couple of weeks and ultimately not getting the item, buyer protection is good, unlike items outside of ebay where paypal doesn't offer the same protection then common sense should prevail and you exchange cash for goods in person. (Craigslist or gumtree in the UK).

The risk is higher as a seller when you get hijacked paypal accounts and new ebay ids bidding on high priced items, I had this not long ago with a a high end camera lens, I refused to sell because of the risk unless the buyer withdrew the paypal and paid by transfer or cheque or cash on collection simply because I knew it was too good to be true, cancelling the transaction, I relisted and got a genuine sale by someone who hadn't only just registered an account, claimed to know nothing of how ebay and paypal work then suddenly become suspiciously knowledgeable about paypals workings.

Telling people if something on ebay is cheap it's too good to be true isn't sensible advice as sometimes you really can get very cheap batgains, I've had a good few and buyer protection is good as is paypals service and helpdesk too.

Edited by M1ks

Posted

Wish I had seen this thread a week ago when it was started. Got taken by this over the weekend. I fully admit it was my fault, I fell for it. Every once in awhile you will find the deal of a lifetime on eBay, where the item is poorly listed. Meaning, it has a title and description that don't adequately describe the value of what they are selling. I thought I had found just such an auction and jumped on it. I decided to take the $15 dollar gamble, and got burned. I didn't look at the feedback or the country of origin, because for $15, for me, it was worth the risk. However, still don't have a refund from eBay.