• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Harbor Freight Lathe (WoodWorking)

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone picked up one of these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html

It's super cheap, and Kelly wants to get into turning pens, don't want to use the Sherline for this.

Also, we don't have a Harbor Freight here, so..... :-)

I know it's cheap, $80, and shipping would be about $110, but then, it's cheap....

Thoughts?

Posted

I'd check it out in person if at all possible.  I don't buy anything at HF that spins at high speed, or supports any substantial amount of weight...

Posted

I have one and use it once in a while. Like all HF power tools, the on/off switch (in this case the variable speed control) is flaky. If you want to turn pens, you'll have to get more chucks/tailstocks and perhaps cutting tools; these add on's could equal the price of the lathe.

Posted

Yep, pen turning is all about the mandrels.  It's a #1 Morse taper, just make sure the mandrel is a #1.  A Pen Press is handy, too, if you don't have a wood working vise to press the brass inserts into the blanks.  And the thing (I forget what it's called - barrel trimmer?) that cuts the blank flush with the brass insert.  

Posted

I've been turning for a little while, have most of the basic tools, it's neat with the Sherline though, I can make exact straight cuts across the pen like a straight razor!!!!

She likes the no gloss finish, bare wood, I am tending to agree.

Thanks, guys!

Will see if she wants to cough up the dough...

Posted

No gloss finish?  Come on.  SHINY :D:D:D RULES!