Model Cars Magazine Forum

Words of warning

Classicgas

If you have a family history of diabetes heart disease and high blood pressure, GET A YEARLY PHYSICAL with complete blood work. I finally got one a little less than a year ago. Was diagnosed with type II diabetes and high blood pressure. I have controlled both by diet and excersize since then, but nonetheless I spent Tuesday night thru Thursday afternoon in the hospital with a heart attack and stent placement. I dodged the big one, mine was a minor one, but a wake up call none the less. They said the heart attack was largely due to the diabetes. Had I gone in a few years before, and had the diabetes diagnosed, things could be different. Just don't want to see this happen to anyone here.

I hope you get better soon my friend.Me and my wife both have the same trouble with diabetes-insulin users.I'm also getting partially disabled with chronic back and knee trouble and working a lot.I don't walk as much as I limp and waddle.Hope you get better soon.

Glad to hear your OK Lee

X2

BUT...of HUGE importance to staying healthy as we age is WATCH YOUR WEIGHT, and STAY ACTIVE.

As Lee mentions above, diabetes can be controlled before it's really out of hand with "diet and exercise", so why not head it off by losing the pork and working up a sweat regularly?

The quickest way to get yourself in really bad shape is to become sedentary and pile on the pounds...and I speak from personal experience.

I'm in my late '60s, and I can tell you that it's a whole lot harder to get BACK in shape than it is to watch your poundage and get regular aerobic and weight-bearing activity BEFORE these things become serious issues.

Just like parking a car out in the weather and never using it will quickly turn it to a useless pile of junk, your body goes by the "use it or lose it" dictum too.

Glad you are ok.
I found out i almost was in the same situation as you but with diabetes and high bloodpressure.
(Only found out thanks to that we are requred to have physical exams every 24months at work)
Anyways i found out that my bloodpressure was way to high for a 26year old at the time and i was in the riskzone for diabetes.
Managed to lower my bloodpressure by changing job, now i am not angry and stressed every day anymore and my bloodpressure is normal again.
Was in a bad mood/angry so often at my my old work that the coworkers used to tell me i had a very even temper, always angry.

For the diabetes i started to exercise more then i used to, never realy did anything before, got home made something that was quick to cook and eat then watched tv because i was to tired to care after 12hour days.
Now with the new job there are so much walking done each day (my record distance at work is for now "only" 12km,s.. normal day is around 5-7km,s)
I usually take a walk in the woods around my house during the weekends.
Stopped completly with any junkfood and sodas.
If i feel like having a soda i normaly takes the sugarfree version of it and after doing that for a while i cant stand the ones with sugar in them, they are to sweet.

As a result of that i have lost 44lbs and are still loosing a little every day and are actually going to the doctor in a few weeks to check if i have managed to get to the normal zone or are still in the riskzone.
Since loosing that much i feel like i have much more energy to do things so its easier to just keep going.
I also dont feel so lazy anymore.
Like if i am in my town and realize that the store that has the thing i need is across the town, i walk there insted of taking the car, i would never have done that a few month ago.

I'm turning 37 this year. I had started to gain some weight, blood pressure was up, etc....... What has helped me was to get a dog! I'm out and about more, I've lost weight, get more exercise than I was, it's been all good for me since I've had her. Also, I cut out pork as Bill mentioned that all should do......

Pets are like holistic medicine...... they work on your entire well being instead of treating symptoms! and It's common knowledge that people with pets live longer, healthier, happier lives....

Now if I could just quit smoking............. :rolleyes:

Pets are like holistic medicine...... they work on your entire well being instead of treating symptoms! and It's common knowledge that people with pets live longer, healthier, happier lives....

Now if I could just quit smoking............. :rolleyes:

Pets really DO tend to help make you happier. Unconditional affection (as long as there's food, shelter and a warm lap), no bitching, no criticism and comparing to the neighbor's house, car, husband...

They also say that married people live longer as well, but if I still had to coexist daily with any of MY exes, I'd shoot myself.

I seem to have replaced smoking with eating too much. All these emotional crutches...

Time to start meditating.  ;)

I wish i could get a dog, but living alone and working 10hrs mon-fri so i dont have time for one.
It worked when i was watching one of my parents dog a few weeks ago but he is 10years old so he did mostly sleep when i was not home.
I had time to go home during my lunchbreak at work to let him out for a few minutes before i had to drive back.
But doing the same with a puppy will not work at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I Just scheduled myself for a physical on Aug 12th, appointment with a vascular dr. On the 19th and am waiting on a precription for antibiotic and water pill (the latter will make call center work interesting!) after recently developing a nasty looking infection near my ankle that may be tied to the vascular issues I've been dealing with for the last few years and just now getting checked out due to having a better job and insurance now.

Glad to hear that you're okay Lee. I was in my 40's when I started getting regular physicals and found I was pre-diabetic. I worked hard and now I'm not, at age 60, but I have to keep at it because it will come back on me.

Good tips everyone! Let's be vigilant!

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the doctor today to check if i still was in the risk for diabetes or not.
All the values was in the normal range (no risk of getting it) and he was also impressed that i had managed to loose that much weight since the last time i was there.
He also told me that if i kept doing what i was doing he would probably never have to see me again for that problem.
He also asked how i had managed to do that and i told him that i had changed job and there are alot of walking each day. Then told me to stay at that place and never change.
So i guess now i have a doctors order to not change my job :blink:

It depends Jim, I hadn't gone for myself is at least a decade prior to Obamacare and finally did go right around the time we lost Harry due to coming down with what was diagnosed (and I think may have been cronic) bronchitis. Pre-Obamacare I was without insurance for a few years because no one would sell it to me due to my weight and would likely want nearly what I was making at the time, prior to buying my 200 if I could find one that would sell me a policy. Once I could buy after Obamacare, what I could afford was something I could buy, but wasn't making enough to be able to use it. Now with my current employer, I have good insurance through them and make enough money and have more availability to time off to actually use it......which I have done more since March than I have in probably the last 20 years.