Model Cars Magazine Forum

Racecar junkyard wip -Update 08,Aug.2017-

Michael F

I´m planning to build a (miniature) junkyard with restoration shop for racecars, like stockcars, modifieds, jalopies, only. Ok, some trailers and haulers will be there as well...

I call it a wip, i think this project would be a "live long wip", because the team of MIKE`S RACECAR SALVAGE AND RESTAURATIONS will pull more and more interesting old racers out of some backyards.

The idea came when i built this stocker of ol´Wendell Scott. For some reason i ruined the clear coat so i decided to make a junker from it:

Wendell007.jpg

The first idea of a shop on paper:

DSCF2605.jpg

First attempt with some styrene foam to replicate a brickwall:

DSCF2608.jpg

Looking good, so let´s build the whole shop that way:

DSCF2615.jpg

A view to the inside:

DSCF2625.jpg

Checking the proportions with a model:

DSCF2611.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Michael F

Next step was to put some paint to the walls to get an idea of the shop when finished:

DSCF2665.jpg

The appearance of this white with blue will be ok, so let´s fill the gaps between the bricks, add frames to doors and windows and paint the hut. Ooops, the guys from Mike´s probably have some issues with the width of the trailers and haulers, see the damaged corner of the building...

P1030557.jpg

The backside:

P1030560.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Michael F

Some rusted parts for the junkyard: an oildrum and a burning barrel. The oildrum is was made from a resin item, the burning barrel is from aluminum foil wrapped around the resin drum, peeled of the foil, glued a bottom in it and put some dents and rust on it:

P1000715.jpg

P1000704.jpg

lfass_01.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind comments on this, guys!

@ Dominik: will do! We´ll meet in September!

I build a baseplate for the racecar junkyard. The brown areas should replicate the earthy parts (the brown is not the final color), the grey areas are cracked/old concrete paving slabs. Some detail has to be added, like grass, dust, oil- and water spots, gully cover and and and...

I put some models on the plate, to show the size of it. I think there would be space for ca. 20 cars and a lot of scrap metal.

P1030638.jpg

P1030642.jpg

P1030643.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Michael F

• 1 month later...

Very nice work Michael, and it is interesting that your diorama base and configuration is quite similar to my Hooper & Co diorama, in terms of size if not the subject. I have the building in the far left corner, and around 15 vehicles in 1:24 scale, some diecast and some plastic built kits. Look forward to seeing your progress on this one!

David  ( UK )

Looks great I will be following this one.

how did you do the concert?  

Cale, thanks for your interest on this one. I replicated the concrete with shaded wallpaint applied with a small lambskin paintroller. Actually i think it´s quite rough textured.

Get back to work! We need a progress update on this one. :D

Rory, currently it´s an on and off job on the junkyard. To less time ... At the moment i´m working on an air compressor made from an old truck fueltank with a frame from u-profile evergreen. I´ll place it outside the building under a rotting wooden shelter, so it needs an appropriate weathering. I hope it turns out well. I think, a realistic weathering is the most difficult part of modeling and i´m not a pro, oh well...

Very nice work Michael, and it is interesting that your diorama base and configuration is quite similar to my Hooper & Co diorama, in terms of size if not the subject. I have the building in the far left corner, and around 15 vehicles in 1:24 scale, some diecast and some plastic built kits. Look forward to seeing your progress on this one!

David  ( UK )

David, your diorama is great, the Rolls fleet is very nice! The bus is a giant! I found some interesting details such as the motorcycle and the people on the road, very british, as it should be... A diorama takes a lot of space doesn´t it?

First i wanted to build a much bigger dio because of the many nascar kits i have in my stash, but due to the lack of space in my home, the actual size of the junkyard fits well. If i´m not working on it, the baseplate will vanish in a cardboardbox in the basement. There will be always work in progress on this one. I´ll take some pics and show them in the next few days.

Thanks for your interest, guys!!

Many thanks Michael for your comments, and I have posted a few pics here. Certainly, a 1:24 scale diorama does take a lot of space but I like the scale.

Apart from the pic of the Bedford chassis cab which is a work in progress, all the others are with the lights of the building turned off inside.

David

100_9012.JPG

100_9049.JPG

100_9061.JPG

100_9071.JPG

100_9083.JPG

100_9096.JPG

100_9101.JPG

100_9106.JPG