Model Cars Magazine Forum
Codi

Anybody know of any 70's Dodge Colt kits or bodies?

Hi, I searched the forum and web for a 70's Dodge colt bodies but came up empty.  I saw RMR had one but it doesn't appear they're in business any longer.  Any insights are truly appreciated.  cheers, tim

Thanks Robert, I remember some positive comments about them as a resource.  Have you had experience with his bodies?  Your opinion is welcome I assure you.

Frank, thanks but I had the link but was thrown off by the lack of updates etc. & got the impression he was OOB.  I'll call him as he has his number posted.  It was about 10 days ago I sent him an email but got no reply............I'll call.  LIke Robert, if you have bought from him and can speak about his quality & service, it would be greatly appreciated as well......Thanks again guys!!    

I don't have this particular body, but in general I've found SMH resin parts and bodies to be pretty decent...some typical resin cleanup is needed, but I've found their product to be free of warpage, no pinholes and minimal flash.  Good customer service also.    I've not dealt with RMR, though I've seen buildups of RMR products here on other forums. 

Hmm...I'm disappointed to hear that Mr. Andrews doesn't answer emails. I sent RMR an email this morning myself.

I can only echo Robert's comments regarding SMH and RMR.

Best of luck in your search, Tim.

Thanks Rob, that's helpful too.

Frank, I'll call on Monday and if I can get him on the phone I'll update everyone on this thread. 

Jesse, I checked them out but I read some comments on a modelling forum wherein the car was closer to a 1/20th scale car than 1/25th.   I'll research a bit more regarding that particular kit you posted a pic of.  I think I can do the necessary modifications if I must to get it right.  Thanks for the pic & suggestion. 

Doyusha kits are very old and usually have the old time Japanese kit motorized chassis w/ shallow interiors. 

Some of the Japanese kits vary widely in size, even though listed in the same scale. Had a friend that had a few different Colts, and the body of one would fit entirely within the other, even though both were 1/24th scale. Can't remember the manufacturers of the kits, sorry to say.

Also the Doyusha kits can be on the pricey side.

Tim... You have me curious as to what you have in store for this Colt Kit ;)

Yesterday I found and bought the kit that Jesse showed in his pic above.  Very old vintage kit from a seller right here in Pa., it was $65. on ebay.  I'll have it this week and I'm ordering the Colt body from SMH Racing and lastly I'll call RMR today to see if I can get them on the phone.  Then I'll compare the bodies and decide what direction to go.  The project is a scratch-built, mid-seventies Hemi Colt with twin plug engine, D5 manifold & Dominators.  Not sure which race car yet to try to replicate but I do would like to make it as accurate as one between 1973 to 1976.   I've got a pretty good collection of material and photos so far but the body is the one thing that could throw it all off track.  I like Hemi Cudas and Challengers as much as the next person, but the Colt's were some of the baddest, most ridiculous Pro Stocks ever that I just can't resist.  As anyone who follows my builds knows by now, I am very slow. 2 years seems to be the avg. for a build so I figure I only have a couple more left till I hang up my tools and this one was always on the list.  I'm making slow but steady progress on the Bantam, the Pro Mod that will replace the ill-fated Henry J after that.  Then, hopefuily, this one.  Don't worry Dave (comp1839) I've not forgotten you either!!    Cheers fellas.

The Doyusha kits are labeled 1/24 scale, but the coupe is around 1/22 while the four-door is closer to 1/26.  Likewise, if anyone is selling a resin coupe body reworked from the Doyusha kit, it too will be on the large side.

I have a Doyusha Bluebird Coupe kit, AKA Datsun 510, and that thing is huge! Compared to the Hasegawa kit in 1/24th and especially the Revell 510 in 1/25th!! 

Jesse, the Revell 510 is not 1/25th scale.

The insights shared are appreciated one and all.  When I get the Doyusha kit this week, I'll check the wheelbase and a few other points of reference to determine how far off 1/24th / 1/25th they are.  The 1:1 car was 95.3" or thereabouts in length.  I'm not going to build the entire car as a 1/22nd or whatever the body actually might be.  If I can make simple, reasonable alterations to it so that it is better in appearance, then I'll work with what I got & still have a build that will be quite unique.   I won't be machining or scratch-building everything to fit the scale of the body, that would obviously be a nightmare.  It might just end up being 1/22nd (or whatever if it's close) with the rest of the car built to 1/25th scale OR I'll just skip it altogether and do a Cuda'.   I'll post my thoughts when the kit arrives, I did order the body as well from SMH today.  I did not call Ron @ RMR yet however. As Mark has pointed out, if the resin cars are cast of the Doyusha, then what would be the point.  Thanks again guys. 

I figure I only have a couple more left till I hang up my tools and this one was always on the list.  I'm making slow but steady progress on the Bantam, the Pro Mod that will replace the ill-fated Henry J after that.  Then, hopefuily, this one.  Don't worry Dave (comp1839) I've not forgotten you either!!    Cheers fellas.

Tim, I hope this doesn't mean you'll stop building after doing the Colt! :(

Your builds are FANTASTIC, and I'd hate to see you stop altogether!

Jesse, the Revell 510 is not 1/25th scale.

Well, it is a bit smaller than the Hasegawa Bluebird

Bill, thanks man. You're quite the accomplished builder yourself.  I'll see how enthused I am after the Colt's done before I decide to hang it up.  I'm just being realistic.  

First, the good news in that the ebay car arrived today.  For such an old kit, everything inside was factory sealed & complete, no warpage and in immaculate shape.  I'm really stoked. Now the bad, Mark above stated that it's about 1/22nd scale & from all my measurements, I believe he is spot on.  The dimensions of the 71' Colt were a 95.3" wheelbase, width of 61.4" and height of 53.9".  At first I was dismayed as the wheelbase was the big discrepancy.  It's basically 10" scale inches too long and 5" too wide.  Interestingly the height was pretty much on the mark.  I was able to determine that Doyusha put the added length into the body by adding the approximate 10mm in the doors.  So, I can get a clean cut and remove that portion and repair it with confidence.  The width I'll deal with by taking it straight down the middle.  I'll have to make my own glass as the kit glass (which is sealed and perfect)  won't be helpful.  I'll use it as a template to make the replacement though.  The bumpers and grilles will be adjusted in the same way to make them fit. I'll open the hood, trunk and consider the doors as well.  I've done these types of mods before and it seems pretty straightforward.  The car will then be much closer to actual dimensions and in 1/25th scale.  Needless to say the chopping will be done carefully as replacing this kit body would be pretty much impossible i believe.  I'm gathering more books & research material and I'll add an album to my Fotki page in the future.  

Thanks everyone for your help and for the specs / info you have shared.  A Hemi Colt it will be.   Cheers, Tim

Tim.... I can't wait to see what you to do this build. I know it will be epic. I sure hope you don't stop building after this one. You are too good of a builder to hang it up.