Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for info from The Complete Car Modeller by Wingrove

I've lost my copy. Can someone tell me if it has plans for a 1912 Rolls-Royce 40/50? I have read that they are in this book, but I have also read that they are only in the book "The Art Of The Automobile In Miniature". I would like to see plans for the chassis and drivetrain for this car.

Thank you. Lee Owens

The Complete Car Modeller has plans for a 1909 40/50 roadster. Doesn't have much detail for the chassis and drivetrain. I think I have the other book, just need to search for it.

Was putting the other book away and checked another set of shelves and found The Art of the Automobile in Miniature. It has a multiple page set of drawings for a 1912 40/50 London-Edinburgh Tourer. There's 4 or 5 pages of chassis, engine, driveline drawings.

Edited by waynehulsey
More info

Well it's a bit of a bummer to find out it's not in the book I have (but can't find).

I'm looking for info on the chassis and drivetrain for a scratchbuilding project of the 1914/1920 Rolls-Royce Armored Car. It is pretty much just a rebodied Silver Ghost.

My main source for plans for this build is an article in the September 1989 Fine Scale Modeler. The article was about building one in 1/24 scale and used the old Heller 4.5 liter Blower Bentley as a chassis and drivetrain donor. I would rather have Silver Ghost reference info. The Silver Ghost chassis was also used for armored car tenders (resupply vehicles) and at least one military ambulance. A cool diorama would be a soldier being evacuated during resupply, and another soldier taking a picture three different Rolls-Royce military vehicles. 

Just getting started on the project. Turret is pretty much done. I had a cowl section and hood, but the geometry was not right so they didn't make the cut. It's in 1/12 scale, BTW.

IMG_0286-vi.jpg

I checked out the link. From the few photos I've seen of Silver Ghost chassis/drivetrain, the paper model dimensions are way off. I'm going to look for a copy of Wingrove's The Art Of The Automobile In Miniature. Maybe order the old Franklin Mint diecast as well. One of them has the artillery wheels used on a Rolls-Royce ambulance.

• 3 weeks later...

The book arrived in the mail. I plan to build my model as a curbside, but some chassis detail is visible without turning the car over. I do want the model to look accurate; not like a model of a replica (like the 2 replicas used in the movie Lawrence of Arabia)

Richard- I will download and print off those drawings. Thank you. Would love to see your RRAC.

Richard- I will download and print off those drawings. Thank you. Would love to see your RRAC.

Here's where I got on it. THe idea was to use the Entex/Bandai Rolls "Balloon Car"

rracfront.jpg

RRACturret.jpg

Since I needed extra tired anyhow, I figured I try casting them in a more accurate colour, the one on the right has a little carbon black mix into the white RTV

RRACtires.jpg

Scratchbuilt Vickers gun for the turret

VickerMGright.jpg

Where did you get dimensions for the Vickers? I would love to get my hands on that info. I stumbled across a gun shop in Austin that has several real Vickers machine guns, but they are off-limits, at least until I can get approval from the store owner to go back and measure and take pictures.

I ordered a pair of 3D printed MGs, but the finish is a bit rough. Being one piece, cleanup would be tough. I'd use it as a pattern to scratchbuild my own, but I'm not sure the dimensions are correct.

My turret is 6 layers of .030" Evergreen styrene wrapped around a 3" PVC pipe coupling. The coupling was not a straight cylinder. It was slightly bowed out at the top and bottom. It took a couple of hours with files and sandpaper to make it straight. It is thick as heck, but for me it was a way to get the right O.D. in a (relatively) short amount of time/minimal cash outlay. (I'm a plumber. I had the PVC part in my van)

I came across a plan view of a Vickers online, and a length, so I just worked out all the dimensions from that.  The Vickers is basically a box with a cylinder attached, and all the details were all boxes and cylinders, so it was just a matter of puying the right styrene stock, cutting it up, and sticking it all together.

The body and turret are .5mm styrene, which is almost the perfect scale thickness for the armour at 1/16.  I tried to follow the construction of the original wherever possible, since everything was going to be pretty visible at that scale.  I  have a 3D modelling program to work out a pattern for the turret armour plates.  I glued them together  in a ring, and I cut an internal ring of thicker styrene to hold it in a circular shape.  For the body, I took measurements off a plan I found in a WWI armour modelling website, scaled them to 1/16 in Photoshop, and measured and cut from those.  Those plans were for a 1920s vintage AC. and since then, I've found some better references of WWI vintage ACs, including photos of what is possibly the only surviving WWI vintage Rolls AC, so I want to redo the body.