Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar "D-Type"

Dann Tier

This is a Revell of Germany kit that started out as an XKSS. Using Milliput, I formed the "bump" behind the driver's seat. The headrest was made from styrene, as was the body work that separates the drivers side from the passengers side. Everything I could think of was wired up, and all the body rivets are photo etch- added on one by one. This is a truely excellent kit, but it's rather daunting to build at times. I really wish Revell would re-release it, because it's one of those kits you would build over and over again! Kind of like Cobra's and GT40's. Thanks for looking in! Hope you enjoy it. 

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

Absolutely Beautiful Jag Dann!! One of my favorite road racers of the '50's! :wub:

I did something similar to the D-Type I did years ago. I used the ROG XK-SS kit as a base, but I used a junk Mercedes 300 SLR kit headrest for it, as well as scratchbuilt the fin. I wish I had those PE rivets when I did mine.............I drilled out all those holes and placed individual "rivets" (Tichy Train Group) into each one!

Talk about rivet counting! :wacko:

Absolutely beautiful. A real stunner, and your work on the headrest fairing is top line.

I have one waiting in the wings, along with a couple of the curbside Lindberg D-types, and bought some of the Archer and Micro-Mark rivet transfers to experiment with.

Your solution to the rivet problem looks very very good.

WoW!!!,  thanks for all the kind and inspirational responses from ALL of you!!  It is true, seeing each others work can be VERY motivational. I know that I went on a 1.5 year slump, but I kept on checking-out EVERYONES beautiful builds!!  So Thank you to all of YOU who helped pull me out with your works of art!!!!

Beautiful model Dann.

I built one about 20 years ago, excellent kit.

Just picked up one at The Desert Scale Classic Model Contest in April.

You've inspired me to crack the box open and give it a go...B)

Go at it!!  -you're a great builder!